Any new HD coming from Novus?? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Other Canadian Cable and IPTV Providers > Novus Cable

Old 2011-11-08, 01:02 AM   #76
BGD360
Rookie

SpikeHD now added to 162 and CTV2HD added to 169. Cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-11-08, 01:07 AM   #77
madmigs

Thanks for the info

I knew about Spike HD - supposedly have a free preview from today until end of december but doesn't seem to work yet. Albeit I checked Spike's schedule and there isn't anything on there I can see myself ever watching. They stopped airing Star Trek repeats long ago.

169 I did not know about, albeit I just saw 169 listed in my guide without a name or any shows scheduled(all are TBA). I was hoping it was going to be Space HD But as CTV2 is a bell owned station maybe its a good sign that Space will come soon

We want Space, we want Space!
Old 2011-11-08, 11:09 PM   #78
BGD360
Rookie

Yeah I was hoping for SpaceHD as well. Hopefully that'll come soon!

I did have to get tech support to view those channels though, they werent immediately available. Also my 169 guide info reads the same way. Kinda weird.
Old 2011-11-09, 01:08 AM   #79
madmigs

hmm, just checked, both Spike and CTV2 work albeit still with no guide on CTV2. Guess they enabled it sometime today for viewing.
Old 2012-02-05, 12:04 AM   #80
BGD360
Rookie

Food Network HD now available on 168.
Old 2012-02-06, 01:17 AM   #81
jb_yvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGD360 View Post
Food Network HD now available on 168.
Thanks for the info - now if only we can get Space HD and FX.
Old 2012-12-04, 05:02 AM   #82
madmigs

I know the thread is old but FX Canada HD was just added to channel 148.

Had a msg on my PVR a few days ago, but the channel didn't show up until Monday. Msg said a free preview for a couple months but had access denied when I try it today. Suspect things will fix things themselves over next couple days.
Old 2012-12-05, 02:45 AM   #83
madmigs

Oh and they added Space HD too on channel 112. No free preview mentioned on website nor which HD package it will be in - hope it will be entertainment as I already have that.

FX Canada HD is on website now as free preview until Feb 12 and is in Entertainment pack. I still get permission denied so sending email

PS: Sorry for the double msg but couldn't find way to edit my last one.
Old 2013-09-09, 04:07 PM   #84
WriterGuy

Question

I'm becoming dissatisfied with Novus's failure to add HD versions of some pretty basic channels. At the head of the list (for me) is the Comedy Network. Now that both 'The Daily Show' and 'The Colbert Report' have been dropped by the CTV network, and thus only available on Comedy Net, Novus subscribers will only have the SD option. In 2013, that is not acceptable.

For the record, the following are other HD services available on Shaw that Novus has yet to add:

1. Animal Planet HD - Given the popularity of nature-based channels in Canada, it is inexplicable that Novus hasn't seen fit to add the high def version of Animal Planet. What's the reason for the gross oversight?

2. Discovery -only available in SD on Channel 50. (Note: this is not the same as Discovery World, which Novus does offer in HD. This one, Discovery, programs quite a few nature programs not shown on Discovery World, making the SD version by itself unacceptable).

3. Disney HD - not my cup of tea, but there are surely many, many families that likely would want this.

4. Encore Ave HD - Unless I've somehow overlooked it, Novus doesn't offer this channel in any form, be it SD or HD. Why?

5. H2 HD - The companion channel to History Television, which Novus does offer in HD. Makes no sense that this one isn't also.

6. Nat Geo Wild HD - Same deal as History. Novus gives us Nat Geo in HD for obvious reasons ... a nature-based channel needs to be viewed in HD for the full effect. This one's not offered in any form.

7. Slice HD - Again, not my thing, but there's a market for this service out there.

8. YTV HD - See #6. Allegedly, YTV is Canada's top children's channel.

9. W Movies HD - See #7.

This list does not include certain channels Shaw carries that Novus doesn't, such as Big Ten HD. While there are a respectable number of sports-related services, this one's devoted to U.S. college sports, which most don't offer except in small numbers. From what I've gathered, Big Ten HD is quite popular in Canada.

Back in late 2012, I talked to a "Novus insider", who informed me that there was a system upgrade scheduled to be completed in the summer of '13. At that time, he said, there would be far more room to add a greater channel selection. Well, that time has now passed, and the only additions are SD. And not too many of those.

So, I put it to you, Novus. What exactly made you decide to change your plans when it comes to HD expansion? In talking to this same individual a month ago, he now says the focus is less so on increasing channels and more on VOD and other such things. Which, in my eyes at least, means that Novus's line-up has become less attractive than Shaw's. Understand, this does not take into account the superiority of the smaller company's overall video quality, which is a definite plus.

And finally, don't get me started on my periodic requests for TCM-HD, which is part of Bell's package. I've seen it, and the clarity and crispness of the picture is light years beyond the SD version. I had to laugh when I made mention of this to a telephone rep, who actually said it's not important since most of the movies are in black-and-white. An ignorant statement at the very least, made by someone who has no appreciation for the use of shadows and light and pinpoint clarity as an integral part of the story.

The bottom line is that Novus seems to be falling behind other service providers in this country. I've had friends comment on how beautiful the video quality is when they view games here. But despite that advantage, it's incumbent that Novus make every effort to "keep up with the Jonses." It's the right thing to do to keep the customers happy.
Old 2013-09-10, 05:31 PM   #85
WriterGuy

Thumbs up

I've just discovered that Novus has seen fit to replace Aljazeera ... with Aljazeera HD! The original signal, in SD, disappeared approximately one week ago. An excellent news source seemed to be gone with no explanation.

Less than a week later, and every bit as surprising, it's back in HD. Curiously, the channel position (263) remains the same. Until now, all of the HD services have been in the 100 - 199 range. Kinda strange to see it in the 200's. Then again, the channel had established itself in the higher bracket, so it seems the decision was made that those who watch it regularly would naturally go there.

No matter. Thank you, Novus, for bringing back a valuable news source in a greatly improved form. It's a definite step in the right direction and very much appreciated.

One suggestion Novus might consider. When changes are made, be they large or small, shooting a message to the subscriber base would be a good idea. Rather than leaving us to wonder (or, if we're moved enough, to call), a quick mass notification would address the questions that arise.

Again, I thank you for this upgrade.
Old 2014-06-22, 08:34 PM   #86
skeena1

According to Rogers Sportsnet, some (but not all) out of market NHL games that traditionally have been blacked out in this region will no longer be blacked out. These games will be on Sportsnet West, East Ontario. Does Novus have any plans to offer those channels in HD?