RC Cars - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2012-01-05, 09:02 PM   #1
TKG26
Veteran

Default RC Cars

My weekly racer.. I never grew up we get about 40 entries at our weekly race nite..

Advertisement

Old 2012-01-06, 09:26 AM   #2
jshel101
Veteran

Nice RC, how did the new motor work out for it? I'm into RC cars too, except I'm a Nitro guy.
Old 2012-01-06, 02:29 PM   #3
TKG26
Veteran

Pretty sweet. Timing was a touch high out of the box, but once i dialed it back to 10degrees it runs cool and strong now. Nitro is pretty dead out this way. brushless and lipo are just to easy and affordable to spend time with the mess and head aches of nitro..

Do you run in the RCPRO series? One of my buddies ended up going out to Winnipeg for the final this summer..
Old 2012-01-06, 02:47 PM   #4
jshel101
Veteran

I have never raced, I just bash my Nitro Savage X. Personally I prefer the sound of the Nitro to the quiet of the electric. .

I am hoping Santa brings me a new 1/5 scale Baja next year. But I doubt it.
Old 2012-01-06, 03:56 PM   #5
TKG26
Veteran

the Baja are pretty cool.. I raced nitro for a few years. The last big nitro class i ran was nitro touring cars. Very very fun. But expensive on tires. You should search out a track in your area. I would quit the hobby if I could not race.

Check out one of my clubs promo video. We race indoors http://rcottawa.com/videos/
Old 2012-01-06, 11:47 PM   #6
Jake

I gave you guys your own thread. Have fun.

My son has a 2011 Corvette GT2 RC car. Not in the same league. But man have RC cars changed since I was a kid.

http://www.newbright.com/images/Radi...C6R-Yellow.png
Old 2012-01-09, 04:19 PM   #7
new-guy

nice...
I prefer nitro... but all are needing repairs right now

AE RC-10 GT (tub chassis)
HPI MT-2 SS
ACME Vulcan 1/16
Old 2012-01-09, 05:05 PM   #8
jshel101
Veteran

I love Nitro too, but I am finding it hard to keep up with the maintenance. I have had my Savage X in the hobby store twice for things that are probably fairly easy to fix. I just don't have the time or space to do it. I am hoping that when spring hits I will be able to take it out more. I bought my 7yr old son a new Traxxas Slash last year, but unfortunately he does not like RC cars as much as his dad does. I tend to have to drag him out with me when I go. lol
Old 2012-01-09, 08:44 PM   #9
TKG26
Veteran

Find a local track. From there you will get more from the hobby...

-16C last week and we had 56 electric entries.. Good times where had..

Look into the brushless conversion for your Savage. You will @#% your pants the fist time you pull the trigger. Wheelie bar is a must have
Old 2012-01-10, 09:24 AM   #10
jshel101
Veteran

I was looking at the brushless conversion kit for the Savage. But I think if I went electric, I would just but a Savage Flux HP. I heard they are pretty quick. I think they go over 60Mph with two 3S lipo batteries.

I might try Nitro racing this summer. There is a track fairly close to my house. I heard that you can get some pretty good help with the veterans at the track. I want to upgrade my radio to 2.4 before though, so I don't have to worry about frequency interference.
Old 2012-01-10, 12:11 PM   #11
pharsyde
DHC Supporter

Any room for trucks in here ?

Old 2012-01-11, 01:13 PM   #12
bongoxx

My current RC is a Traxxas Rustler VXL (Brushless). I used to race both off road and on-road RC as a kid. Now I tryto get out to my local track and bash when I have some time with the Rustler.

I'm debating on picking up a new RC when I head to Florida in March. I really like the Rustler, but looking at picking up a 4x4 short course truck or something like that.
Old 2012-02-02, 10:04 AM   #13
jshel101
Veteran

Here is a pic of my beast. Well mine looks exactly like this. I couldn't get a pic of mine since it is in pieces waiting for me to put it back together.
Old 2013-04-02, 06:14 PM   #14
Danster

I know this thread is over a year old but I just had to post about my newly bought toy: A 4x4 Nutech 1/5 scale monster truck! It is a birthday present from me to myself.

The engine is a CY26cc gas powered . After burning 2 tanks od gas for the break in period, I was finally able to open it full throttle. Talk about a weedwhacker on steroids. Fun as hell. Really like my purchase.

I always wanted a RC vehicle and after searching the net all over, I finally found one in BC. So I'm glad I bought it in our country. I also wanted one that was gas powered and huge. Well it is huge. It is over 2 1/2 long, 19 inches wide and 15 inches tall for a weight of 20 or so pounds.

Came with remote and receiver but needed a battery pack.

I don't know of any racing circuit around my area but know of a few sand pits. I have been ripping the lawn in my yard so I will have to go somewhere else or my wife won't be too happy.

One thing I noticed about this "hobby" is that it really feels like I own another Harley: I got the basics but for a few $$$ more, I can customize it to no ends. Front and rear swing arms made out of hard plastic but I can buy them in an upgrade of shiny aluminum. For $60 a pair versus $10 for hard plastic.

The tire that came with it are not what I want but for $90, I can get 2 rims and tractor style tires that would fit it. That's almost the price I paid for the tires on my Fiat!

Speaking of Fiat, I'm thinking of building a super small light trailer to tow my Monster Truck in the back of it. Now that would be a crowd attention grabber. I mean the truck is not very much smaller than the Fiat. (I know Fiat doesn't recommend any trailer towing but it would be lighter than the two bikes that it can support)

Here is a question. I would like make some electricity from the spinning flywheel of the small engine. If I added some kind of pickup coil near the flywheel, how much voltage could I get? I know I would have to add some voltage rectifier and possibly a capacitor inline somewhere. I just want to power LED strip but don't want to use the battery pack on the truck.

Did I mention this thing is fast? I'm not sure how fast exactly but if this was lifesize, it would be scary!!!!
Old 2013-04-04, 07:53 PM   #15
tdti1

Some guy I know race nitro's, they are pretty cool, I have a old rc lying around someplace, tyco broken up a bit. I mite fix it one day