Apple sued by Toronto lawyer over stolen MacBook, iphone - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2012-01-18, 03:52 PM   #1
Jake

Default Apple sued by Toronto lawyer over stolen MacBook, iphone

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1117493

I am not surprised by this.
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-18, 04:11 PM   #2
jshel101
Veteran

I don't understand why Apple should be held responsible for theft of their merchandise. Isn't that what insurance is for? I think this law suit is ridiculous, it is just going to set a precedence for other Apple thefts. IMO, if these kind of lawsuits are allowed to go ahead, we will just end up paying more for our electronic products. Maybe Apple will start to make us sign a document that states that Apple is not responsible for any thefts after you leave the store.
Old 2012-01-18, 04:13 PM   #3
ScaryBob
Veteran

Thumbs down

I find it interesting that these companies manage to track and block devices when it is in their own interests, like protecting subscription fees. When it comes to protecting consumer interests, like disabling stolen devices to discourage crime, it's all of a sudden a big problem. Some companies will knowingly activate stolen devices if they can make money from it. It just unacceptable, especially when act of violent crime are involved.
Old 2012-01-18, 04:25 PM   #4
gworg

Various credit cards offer theft and loss protection as well as extended warranty coverage.
Old 2012-01-18, 04:45 PM   #5
dirtroad

I think the deciding factor was that Apple had serviced the stolen laptop after it had been reported stolen. Too bad the police didn't stop by the service centre and find Apple with the stolen laptop then they would more likely to help!

My take is the lawyer, Mr Deverett used his case to change the way Apple so lightly takes the issue as a problem, in his own words, “There’s a problem going on and someone has to fix it and I think Apple could take the initiative.”

Most of us don't have the time or money to deal with things like this. If anyone else had to hire a lawyer and spent time in court it would cost thousands of dollars not the $345 legal costs awarded!

I say well done Mr. Deverett.

Apple could well afford to set up a stolen equipment department to locate these items. That would make it almost impossible to sell the items, which in turn would reduce the thefts. So what is Apple going to do? In their words, “Apple Canada does not owe a duty of care to customers once they have left its retail store,” according to the statement filed by Apple Canada in the Deverett lawsuit.

After the decision, "Apple Canada declined to comment for this article"(In the Star), meaning they really don't care.
Old 2012-01-18, 05:53 PM   #6
Jake

I think the term is called fencing.

However, the hardware was new. Was it even registered yet? In that situation they would need a serial number and proof of ownership. A receipt alone does not contain that information.
Old 2012-01-18, 07:21 PM   #7
dirtroad

Thanks, I couldn't think of the word, ....the only fencing I have done is to keep the dog in, and the kids out!
When I bought my last laptop, Toshiba, not Apple, it was registered with Toshiba for warranty before I left the store, that only took 5 minutes.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:23 PM   #8
PokerFace

Thumbs down There's a worm in my Apple!

Wow. Even stolen merchandise gets overlooked. Shameful!

Perhaps the Apple staff fails to do anything to reunite the stolen merchandise with its owners, simply because they mistakenly believe it's another case of "the fruit of the poisonous tree."

Apple: We're sorry for your loss, sir, but since we consider all of our Apple products to be fruit, and since the evidence was obtained illegally through theft by a tainted source or thief, which we like to call "the poisonous tree," it means that the stolen merchandise, or fruit as we like to call it, is also tainted and thus is not admissible in court. You can call the police if you'd like, but we're still going to assume that your case against us won't hold up in court and that's why we're rich. Thank you for using Apple products. Goodbye.

------------------------------------

Apple strikes again!

From a sour apple to a bitter lemon:

http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...-stolen-phones
[December 30, 2011: Does Apple service stolen phones?]
Old 2012-02-01, 07:28 PM   #9
das75

I've had an iPod was stolen. Now don't expect Apple to go call the cops if it's ever connected to the iStore but would make me feel a little better if I knew they would brick it
Old 2012-02-01, 08:01 PM   #10
NeilN
Veteran

I'm scratching my head wondering you expect Apple to do. They're not the cops. Involving themselves in situations like this is just asking for trouble. How do they know you're not out to make trouble for someone (ex-wife, ex-boyfriend, etc.)? How do they know you haven't sold your iDevice but are pissed off for some reason? More like unrealistic expectations strike again!
Old 2012-02-02, 09:34 AM   #11
jshel101
Veteran

I can see the next frivolous lawsuit happening. Girl sues Apple because they bricked her iPhone because disgruntled ex-husband reported it as stolen.