Shaw adds 15 new Galaxie Music Channels - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2012-01-11, 02:17 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Shaw adds 15 new Galaxie Music Channels

Shaw Cable said this week that it has added fifteen new Galaxie music channels to its digital cable line-up.

The new channels, which are available now CanadThe new channels, have a focus on cultural music, with stations ranging from Bollywood Hits, to Arabic, to Guangdong. Three channels appealing to young adults have also been added.

In total, Shaw now offers subscribers fifty-five Galaxie music stations as part of its digital television package. The channels can be accessed by tuning into channels in the 400 range, or by streaming them online. Online streaming and channel information can be found on the Shaw website.

The new music channels include:
  • Canadian Indie
  • Headbangers
  • Hip Hop
  • Latino Urbano
  • Today's Latin Pop
  • Guangdong
  • Mando Pop
  • The Asian Flavour
  • Bollywood Hits
  • Punjabi
  • Hindi Gold
  • Sounds of South India
  • Classical India
  • World Carnival
  • Arabic
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-11, 05:36 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

Is it my imagination or is Shaw focusing a lot more on Ethnic communities? Certainly this is a nice add-on for South Asian communities.
Old 2012-01-11, 05:44 PM   #3
JasonB

The bundles under SPP seem cheaper too.

I'm liking the Latin music channels, even though I don't have a salsa bone in my body

I'd guess that Shaw may still be under-representing ethnic communities on a population basis, but there's only so much content out there.
Old 2012-01-11, 10:08 PM   #4
Mixar69

I'm liking the Headbangers music station. Rock on Shaw.
Old 2012-01-12, 12:32 AM   #5
ssbtech

I'll ask again...

Does Shaw track music channel usage at all?
Old 2012-01-12, 01:46 AM   #6
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

I have been told by a Shaw manager, in the not so distant past, that they do not actually 'track' any usage through the STBs but I just find that too hard to believe. There is so much valuable data to be had by gathering that kind of info to just let it go by the wayside. Anyone who doesn't think Big Brother is watching is just kidding themselves, I believe.
Old 2012-01-14, 01:34 PM   #7
paradisephantom

Yet they still can't add the "Nothin' But 90's" channel???
Come on Shaw!!
Old 2012-01-15, 12:16 AM   #8
tux

@paradisephantom I wouldn't be too hard on shaw about it... Galaxie.ca currently has 63 music channels (based on Galaxie.ca), and Shaw's carrying 55 of them (about 87%). If you really want "Nothin' But 90's", I'd recommend calling (or chatting) Shaw and putting in a request. Who knows, they may decide to add the remaining 8 stations.
Old 2012-01-15, 12:41 PM   #9
hugh
Member #1

Honestly, I doubt Shaw gets a lot of correspondence on this so I'd recommend contacting them too!
Old 2012-01-16, 09:02 AM   #10
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question

I'm not sure if we'll eventually see all the channels Galaxie carries or not on your certain provider, that remains to be seen.

As for the ones Shaw added, I'm not sure if what the ethnic break down of those living in the Manitoba to BC territory, but I'm assuming there is a large Asian, South East Asian communities. Right?

But I'm slightly here? Before Shaw added these 15 channels, they where carring only 40 like Rogers. BTV carries 45 presently. An according to Galaxie.ca they have? had? 65, so before Shaw(Rogers) added these they where missing 25 & BTV where missing 20. Now those 15 that where just added where they all ready on Galaxie or are 15 new ones Galaxie is speaking of? Because if they where ll already there then if Galaxie said they will double the amount of channels the count should be 170 channels not 100?
Old 2012-01-16, 09:34 PM   #11
dlEVERYTHING
Rookie

They're just doing this to bolster their channel numbers. So in advertising they can add another 15 channels to the "Personal TV comes with XX channels"
Old 2012-01-17, 12:01 AM   #12
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway

^ not really dl, there was lots of requests for specifics here. Our advertising has typically excluded these, everything we have printed and sent out in January doesn't include them. I can tell you that we are trying to make a point with these new Galaxie channels in showing that they are a free add on. Our Personal TV has many more stations in it now than ever before (picture and audio) stacking up well even more so now.

We have 49 online on our Galaxie App http://vod.shaw.ca/music/galaxie_player/ (application link no adverts/pricing) not including these new ones yet.
Old 2012-01-17, 05:00 PM   #13
tux

I counted only 40 in the Galaxie Music Player. However, that was on Sat/Sun night. None of the 15 additional channels were there.
Old 2012-01-28, 05:52 PM   #14
paradisephantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
@paradisephantom I wouldn't be too hard on shaw about it... Galaxie.ca currently has 63 music channels (based on Galaxie.ca), and Shaw's carrying 55 of them (about 87%). If you really want "Nothin' But 90's", I'd recommend calling (or chatting) Shaw and putting in a request. Who knows, they may decide to add the remaining 8 stations.
I have tried that!

Shaw told me to contact Galaxie, and when I did, Galaxie told me to contact Shaw!!??
Old 2012-01-29, 12:11 AM   #15
tux

Shaw would be the ones you need to contact. Ask them to submit a "channel request form".

The channel is already offered by Galaxie, but not carried by Shaw. As with any other channel not being carried by Shaw, customers would need to contact Shaw to request that the channel be added. If enough demand exists for the channel, Shaw may [or may not] then negotiate carriage of the additional channel with the content provider. Demand for the Galaxie channels is probably fairly low, but then the cost of carriage and the bandwidth required for a channel without any video content would be low as well.

Tags
galaxie