Closed Captioning Issues - Various Channels (All Providers) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-12-23, 12:17 AM   #16

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

whmoffat: I'm pretty sure that both Bell and Eastlink have CC, but it does need to be turned on in the STB, not on the TV for HD programming. For Motorola STBs you need to turn the STB off, press menu and enable CC. I don't know the procedure for BTV, but I'm certain it's available (although there have been a couple of threads indicating issues with certain STBs/channels).

There is no way a major provider cannot have CC capability. Make sure you're on a channel that has CC though since not all do and not all programming does - just flip around normal channels like CBC, CTV, Global, CBC, NBC, etc. Sometimes it takes a few seconds before the CC appears.
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-23, 04:36 AM   #17
David1953

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)

57 is correct, whmoffat, and if you are not getting captions on HD, you do need to follow through on his instructions . Eastlink has always passed through all captioning the best way they could(as long as the providers carried it), and they have always been extremely helpful in getting all captioning issues resolved whenever I have contacted them.

When I was with Bell, captions worked for the most part, but they frequently were missing words and sometimes, whole sentences. The missing captions were not bad enough to cause me to miss the basis of the programming, but they were annoying. This happened with all channels, and in fact, was the main reason I was forced to leave them several months ago and go with Eastlink. Bell CSR's were not helpful in resolving my issues, even at a higher level.

I do know that this issue with Holltwood Suite is strictly with them, and I am getting increasingly frustrated to see no improvement, with no captioned movies yesterday at all. I am glad that you plan to file a complaint with the CRTC. I am being patient for now(after all, they are a brand new service, and I understand that there are some techical issues to be resolved), but if I continue to see no improvement in the situation, I plan to lodge a complaint with the CRTC early in the new year.
Old 2011-12-24, 02:47 PM   #18
whmoffat

Thank you 57 and David1953. The previous post was about Hollywood Suite, not about Eastlink or Bell. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Regards.
Old 2011-12-25, 06:20 AM   #19
David1953

The third movie in a week with CC did show up this morning on Hollywood Suite. Although CCd movies are still extremely rare, a least it is good to see another one, and I am still keeping my fingers crossed for a higher percentage as time goes on.
Old 2012-01-02, 01:47 PM   #20
David1953

It has been well over a week since I ave seen so much as ONE movie with closed captioning on any of the Hollywood Suite channels. This is quite discouraging, to put it mildly, and makes me wonder if this service will ever get their act together.

Perhaps it is time to write the CRTC, or I might write Hollywood Suite again, and ask for more specific answers about the captioning plans.
Old 2012-01-04, 12:08 PM   #21
peanut
Rookie

Specialty channels don't always have to be 100% captioned. Alot of channels have a 100% requirement in their license but some not at all. In fact some stations are only requried to be cc'd in primetime or some have a 75% average over all their schedule. It really comes down to the negotiations of the station at renewal time. CC is a very expensive feature of television. Of course I don't disagree with its need, I'm just saying that when CRTC looks at renewals I believe they factor cost into the percentage for specialty channels. I do believe that any conventional network has a 100% requirement. Also many factors related to transmisssion can "strip" cc before it reaches the end user. Sometimes captioning can be missing for days from a channel before anyone even notices it, and alot of the time when they find out about, some piece of equipment gets rebooted and all is restored.
Old 2012-01-08, 12:43 PM   #22
David1953

According to CRTC guidelines, all NEW broadcast licences require 100% of their daytime programming to be closed captioned.(advertising is exempt until year 4)

According the to 4 broadcast decisions approving carriage of Hollywoood Suite, CRTC decisions 2010-449, through to 2010-452, conditions of licence, section 2, the accessibily requirements are clearly there. NO broadcaster should have a licence granted if they are unwilling to abide by these rules.

Links to those CRTC decisions.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-449.htm

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-450.htm

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-451.htm

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-452.htm

Also, please note this link to "Conditions of licence" (in the appendix of each of these decisions), item 2, CRTC 2010-355, regarding accessibility.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-355.htm

By the way, Hollywood Suite is STILL not providing captions on their movies, and my thoughts are that an official complaint to the CRTC will be necessary.
Old 2012-01-12, 06:15 PM   #23
David1953

I was quite happy to see several movies show up on Hollywood Suite with CC today. Things are looking up, let's hope this trend continues!
Old 2012-01-13, 12:41 PM   #24
David1953

There has been a genuine increase in the number of moves on Hollywood Suite that have CC, especially in the past two days. Something tells me that the situation is being addressed, and cheers to Hollywood Suite for doing so.

If anyone from Hollywood Suite is reading, by all means, keep up the good work!
Old 2012-01-16, 11:53 AM   #25
Wolfe.Mtl

Smile CC showed up on 4 channels of Hollywood Suites

Yesterday, while complaining to one of my friends about Hollywood Suites and no CC .. I tuned to show him how there weren't any ... and Lo and Behold they magically appeared on all 4 channels!!

Someone .. somewhere .. finally switched them on. Being the cynic thatr I am I wonder if it will last???
Old 2012-01-16, 12:23 PM   #26
David1953

I should add that I ave been in direct contact with the president of this company during the past week, and that they are fully committed to increasing the amount of captioning on their services. I was delighted to see how many movies were indeed showing up fully captioned during the past few days.
Old 2012-01-16, 02:09 PM   #27
David1953

Don't worry, Wolfe.Mtl, the captions WILL last, and the situation will only get better, and what you have seen this past weekend is just the start. There had been some earlier techical problems matching the caption data files to the movies, and they have had to be inserted manually, and the process does take time. Those problems have been resolved, and with more time, I am sure that we will see 100% closed captions.
Old 2012-01-16, 03:10 PM   #28
Wolfe.Mtl

Unhappy CC on Hollywood Suites

David1953, I seem to have spoken too soon. Today at 2PM there are no CCs coming thru on Bell. What I don't understand is HS is a PAY NETWORK on free intro distribution.

Every movie appearing in the on-screen guide info states that it carries close captions (CC). If one is giving one's services away as an introduction, one normally assures that one is on one's best behaviour, shoes shined, pants pressed with a big welcoming smile.

If every time you PVR a movie on one of these 4 channels, and have no guarantee that you will be able to watch it, how many people will fork out extra money monthly to pay for it? It sounds like a badly conceived business plan. "We're on the air and we'll work out any technical problems as we go along, and use the customers as the Beta testers?"
Old 2012-01-16, 04:39 PM   #29
David1953

Yes, I did notice that at one point this afternoon, Wolfe Mtl, that none of the four movies showing at the time had CC. However, right now, there at two movies out of the four with CC. My thought is that the number of movies with CC with captions showing at a time will vary, until the job is fully done. It does take some work on Hollywood Suite's part to get the captioning info inserted into the movies, and hopefully, the studios are also providing all the appropriate info to Hollywood Suite. The best thing for now is to be as patient as you can.

By the way, I don't rely on program guides to indicate whether a program is captioned, and I never did trust Bell's guide for that info while I was still with them. CC info is not listed in Eastlink's guide, by the way.
Old 2012-01-18, 09:57 AM   #30
David1953

It is really disappointing to see that the proportion of captioned movies on Hollywood Suite has sharply fallen again, with only one captioned movie so far today, and almost nothing yesterday. It was such a pleasure to see all those captioned movies on the weekend, sometimes even on all four channels at once, and now, almost nothing!

It was also sad to see that some of the best movies, such as the David Lean classics, "Lawrence of Arabia", and "Bridge on the River Kwai", were shown without captions.

I really wonder if Hollywood Suite is having difficulty obtaining the caption files from the studios.

Also, it puzzles me that the job was not done prior to launch, since the licence was granted way back in 2010, and over a year passed prior to the launch date of the service.