Industry Canada puts moratorium on the use of television channel 51 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-01-16, 01:16 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Industry Canada puts moratorium on the use of television channel 51

In a letter to the CRTC last month, Industry Canada says it has put a moratorium on the use of television channel 51, the current upper limit of the broadcast spectrum band.

The Canadian move follows similar actions by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) last August.

Industry Canada says it's taking the action in order to promote the deployment of wireless broadband services in the lower part of 700 MHz (A Block) spectrum.

The department says the decision applies to all regular power and low power TV applications and is effective immediately. The moratorium affects only the applications for new or modification to facilities predicated on increased usage of the spectrum. It does not affect existing regular power or low power television stations on channel 51. Those stations may continue to operate previously authorized facilities.