Backup or Mirror SSD to magnetic drive?? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing

Old 2011-12-26, 02:19 PM   #1
Moose57

Default Backup or Mirror SSD to magnetic drive??

Any best practice advice on how to backup or mirror a new SSD to a traditional magnetic drive?
This is for cases where the SSD blows out and one stlil needs to boot an OS.
Or to make for a quick recovery following a replacement.

If a true mirror, would the performance of the SSD slow down due to the read/write speed differences?
Are we best to just keep a current, but semi-offline image?
What S/W (Acronis?) would you recommend to maintain some reasonable clone?

I just bought a new Intel Series 320 SSD 160 GB and will fresh load the WMC 7 that is becoming an appliance to replace all STB and cut the cord.
Adding a UPS as well, since the OTA signal is unlikely to go out during a local power fail.
Moose57 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-27, 02:37 AM   #2
Nuje
Veteran

I know you're on a Windows machine (being that you reference Acronis), but I have the identical SSD (Intel 160GB) in my iMac, and I've done all sorts of mirror, copies, restores, Time Machine, etc. to/from it, and it acts just like any other hard drive.

I'd suggest that it'd be similar on a Windows machine - whatever you'd do to backup your spinning HD, do the same with your SSD (by the way, the likelihood of a fatal crash of your SSD is far lower than your spinning platters drive).
Nuje is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-27, 09:23 AM   #3
hugh
Member #1

Backup just like a regular drive.

If you want to mirror then you really should get an identical drive.
Old 2011-12-27, 09:59 AM   #4
classicsat
Veteran

If it is the only drive, archive an image of system in an ideally configured state, and regularily backup data, or use network storage for data.

For an SSD/HDD system just image the SSD. The HDD you can mirror or backup.
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2011-12-27, 12:08 PM   #5
ScaryBob
Veteran

Mirroring will impact performance, especially to a magnetic drive. Scheduled or continuous backups are the way to go. I do automated daily backups but, if you stand to lose important work in progress, you may want to do continuous backups. I also make a separate, manual backup before running Windows update or installing any other major software updates.

The most popular software choices are Macrium Reflect Free, Easeus Todo Backup Free, Paragon Backup & Recovery Free and Acronis True Image Home. Easeus is basically a clone of Acronis so you might want to try that. Macrium Reflect works fine but has a less intuitive user interface. Acronis TI has become very buggy as features were added but the basic functions are still OK.
Old 2011-12-27, 03:19 PM   #6
Moose57

Thanks guys. You have answerd my fear about mirror performance.
so backup is fine.
I know the SSD looks like a standard HD.
The magnetic will be in the system with an image and serve as a secondary boot device.
Remember, this HTPC is being tund into an appliance and must have solid reliability and performance for WAF after we cut the cord.

There will be a local storage drive for TV buffer and DVR Reordings as well as the WHS lan connection.

I have tons of small HD's for boot/OS.

Now I just need to figure out how to make SecondRun.TV create some channels to the Canadian TV Website video feeds that I don't get OTA, like HGTV, DIY, etc.
Moose57 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.