Comment Moderator, the Dirtiest Job on the Internet - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > On the Web

Old 2011-12-07, 04:05 PM   #16
TorontoColin

It is a private forum. Freedom of speech and constitutional rights do not apply here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-07, 04:10 PM   #17
MarcP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
What I'm saying is where/when do the forum rules "violate" your constitutional rights"?
Freedom of speech is a protection against the government censoring you. It has nothing to do with private forums.
Old 2011-12-07, 04:11 PM   #18
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question

If its private, then explain why other "private" establishments have been charged under the constitution for violation of
Sex discrimination
age Discrimination
etc?

If its private then those establishments shouldn't of been charged under the Constitution?And if Freedom Of Speech doesn't apply here, where does it tate that in the Forum Rules?

All I'm saying where do you rights begin and end? I don't want this to start into some flaming or war?
Old 2011-12-07, 04:13 PM   #19
MarcP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
If its private, then explain why other "private" establishments have been charged under the constitution for violation of
Sex discrimination
age Discrimination
etc?
Examples?
Old 2011-12-07, 04:23 PM   #20
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question

Private Mens clubs
Golf clubs(the one in the US where African Americans or other non Caucasian weren't allowed to join) Has since been changed.

Look I don't want this to drag on and on or get out hand.

All I wanted to know is where does someones rights begin and where do they end. I'm not tring to start some type of "war",I'm not going to discuss it any further as it appears we can't agree on this certain subject. I'll leave at the we agree to disagree. And I'll leave it at that.
Old 2011-12-07, 04:36 PM   #21
NeilN
Veteran

There's an easy solution to this. Read our Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Quote:
15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.
Affirmative action programs

(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.(84)
You are referring to:

Quote:
Fundamental freedoms

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
You are free to make your opinion known via press or other media - the government cannot stop you. However, the owners of the press or other media have no obligation to allow you to express yourself. That is, you need to "buy your own press".
Old 2011-12-07, 04:36 PM   #22
MarcP
Veteran

I don't get how you can relate discrimination over what you have no control of (sex, race, eye color, etc) with freedom of speech. And we're in Canada. We have a Charter Of Rights And Freedom. I did a search on it. The word "speech" doesn't come up.
Old 2011-12-07, 04:53 PM   #23
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question

Wasn't aware of the Fundamental Freedom section?

My appologies.

With that I'll comment no further on the matter, for me the issue has been answered and resolved.
Old 2011-12-07, 06:14 PM   #24
TorontoColin

Exactly. Futureshop can't tell you that you can't come in to their stores because you're a woman, but they can ban you for singing loudly every time you come in. We allow everyone to come in, but if you break the rules regularly, we might ask you to leave. Whether you disagree with our rules is irrelevant, because you agreed when you registered.