Sasktel using COWS to improve wireless phone service - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Sasktel

Old 2011-11-29, 12:31 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Sasktel using COWS to improve wireless phone service

SaskTel has announced that it is deploying 11 portable cellular towers to address 4G network congestion primarily in Regina and Saskatoon.

The portable towers, also referred to as COWS (Cellular On Wheels), will improve 4G coverage and capacity in the areas where they’re deployed by reducing the load on existing towers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-01, 11:07 AM   #2
Tikker

and these are just a temporary measure until permanent additional towers are added
Old 2011-12-01, 11:24 AM   #3
noah12
DHC Supporter

I live in the nearby city, I work EMS and dropped calls are ridiculous. Since Sasktel went 4G apparently the system is overwhelmed, thus causing these dropped calls. I have been complaining of the Sasktel service for some time now since we depend on our cell phones to contact our hospitals. They keep saying there know the of problem but have not corrected the issue, kinda like beating a dead horse. This recent issue just adds to the compiling issue.
Old 2011-12-01, 11:33 AM   #4
hugh
Member #1

SaskTel says job cuts unrelated to 4G problems

Quote:
SaskTel has released nine managers and a chief technical officer without cause, but said it has nothing to do with recent problems plaguing the Crown corporation’s 4G network.

Guess at some point, you have to do something!
Old 2011-12-01, 12:08 PM   #5
cooper83
Veteran

I fully expected this to be about the company using actual cattle to help improve wireless service. Wasn't sure how, but I figured Saskatchewan would be able to figure out a way to do it better than anyone!
Old 2011-12-01, 11:17 PM   #6
polargeek

Since the first one was installed in my neighbourhood in Regina I haven't had a single called dropped in my house. So if they do indeed install more I will be more than happy with the service.

Tags
regina, saskatoon, sasktel, wireless