Aastra 390 Screenphone from Bell - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Canada Home Phone and Internet

Old 2007-09-27, 08:13 PM   #1
Sniper18

Default Aastra 390 Screenphone from Bell

Hi all;
I bought a Aastra 390 screenphone from bell late last year. I love the phone, but *hate* the fact it is always advertising **** to me on the main screen when the phone is not in use (advertising its i-select options). I didn't buy the phone for it to put advertising in my kitchen. I have tried several things to remove this without any luck.

The first thing I tried was to reset the phone to it's factory defaults. I did this by setting the date to Jan 1 12:00am and then selecting "options" then "mute" then "#". At first I thought this worked. It completely wiped my phone (including my phone book). But then a message came up saying "for FREE services press OK" and it wont go away.

Do you think bell will have any idea what I am talking about if I call them? Do you think they will be able to help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-07-15, 11:28 AM   #2
Sniper18

After almost a year of painfully watching those ad's on my phone, I think I have found the answer.

Quote:
Bellow you will find a list of phone numbers to call from your Vista phone that will allow you to perform various functions. These phones are configured via scripts that are downloaded from a server. By calling a specific host server you can gain access to hidden functions. The only trick is to know what server to call for what function. I tried asking Bell for a list of numbers but they will only give them out on a need-to-know basis. Therefore I'm compiling the following list. If you have any of these numbers please e-mail them to me.

Initial configuration: 1-877-2-473-5328
Remove ads (a.k.a. "What's New"): 1-877-434-4442
Config. / change financial services: 1-888-419-1717
Voice mail interaction w/ the screen: 1-877-611-1010
Interactive i-Select e-Support: 1-888-673-7222

Source: http://aetherworks.ca:8080/pages/ref_vista.html.
It was also mentioned in the comments of this page: http://sensorymetrics.com/2006/11/08...birth-of-saas/

I have yet to try it, but if it doesnt work I will revise this post
Old 2008-07-16, 08:18 AM   #3
Sniper18

I have tried it and it worked. No more ad's on my phone
Old 2008-07-16, 09:44 AM   #4
hugh
Member #1

Thanks for keeping us posted. I'm certain your posts will help others with this device who are annoyed by the ads!
Old 2009-01-14, 05:56 PM   #5
mrrogers22
Rookie

Default Aastra 390

Hello sniper18
thank you for all your help and the great information. I have a 390 that was previously used. This had a company name on the screen that i could never remove. I followed your directions and it is now cleared.
Many thanks to you.
Old 2009-01-14, 08:34 PM   #6
Sniper18

MrRogers22;
I am glad this information was of use to you. The one thing I have noticed though is after a power outage or anything like that, the ads will come back (not sure if this will be the case with the company info that was on your phone). I have solved this problem by saving the 'no-ads' phone number in my phone book on the phone and whenever they reappear (after power outages) I simply dial the number and they go away.
Old 2009-01-21, 06:41 AM   #7
mrrogers22
Rookie

Hello Sniper18,
Thank you for all your help. The number that you speak of that you saved on your phone. 'no-ads' Is it the you had listed?

Remove ads (a.k.a. "What's New"): 1-877-434-4442

I tried this number to remove the screen name from a second 390 phone that I have. I got a message that the number is not accessable from my area. I am in South Florida. Do you now of a different number that I could try?
Thank you again
Old 2009-02-02, 09:04 PM   #8
richm
Rookie

Bell has discontinued their process to wipe out the ad. Aastra Telecom manufactures this phone and has a 9 step procedure to clear the Bell I-Select Advertisement. Herre's a copy:
WARNING: This procedure will permanently erase the Callers List and Directory in your 390 telephone. Please record important names and numbers before implementing this procedure. This procedure disables the programming of the idle screen, so it will not only get rid of the ads permenately but you will also lose the ability to program any of the softkeys on the idle screen as well.

1) Press the Options button (the short button below the orange Goodbye button)

2) Press the Down Arrow 4 times or until the cursor points to Area Code and press Show

3) Press the Down Arrow 2 times or until it points to entry 3.

4) Press Change

5) Enter 0099 and press Done 2 times to return to the Options Menu

6) Press Up Arrow 3 times or until the cursor points to Time/Date and press Show

7) Set the Date and Time to Jan 01 12:00am and press Done

8) Press Goodbye to return to idle screen and verify the Date and time are correct

Before the time changes to 12:01am perform the next step (if the time does change, return to step 7)

9) Press these keys in sequence: Option, Mute, 0 (zero)

Your telephone will reset and the Ad message will be permanently erased.

Hope this helps !
Old 2009-02-06, 09:39 PM   #9
blevine
Rookie

Wow. Thanks richm. I've been looking for that solution for years now. Great to finally rid that What's New for good.
Old 2009-02-07, 12:51 PM   #10
Mango

Does anyone know how to do this with a Cybiolink 8000, also from Bell?
Old 2009-07-22, 08:42 PM   #11
Sniper18

Thanks richm;
The power went out the other day and I noticed the ads came back on the phone. I tried the 1-800 number I originally posted here and noticed it didnt work, so I thought I would find this tread again to ask if anyone found a new one when I found your post.

I am glad you posted these instructions, very helpful!
Old 2009-08-04, 02:26 PM   #12
SilentLeviathan

If you buy the phone third party the ads are disabled by default.

I purchased a 390 online and a 350 a few years ago at Sears. Neither ever displayed ads.
Old 2011-11-15, 01:40 PM   #13
peterthegreek
Rookie

Default Get rid of those sevices from vista phones.

To all the people that bought a vista phone and had these sevices with bell, but the numbers don't work when you select them. To get rid of the messages, you have to reset the phone - it will erase numbers, names and call display info. Make sure your clock is set at jan 1 12:00am - either manually set it or unplug your phone for a few min. the press OPTIONS - LINK - # ...this should reset your phone and get rid of those services.
Old 2013-05-27, 11:03 AM   #14
greenteaicedtea
Rookie

richm,
I'm so glad I found your instructions!

I got an Aastra 390 at a thrift store and I like the phone, but I was not impressed when I saw the idle screen, and even less impressed with the number the softkey dialed - it was an adult chat line. I guess a lot happens 6-7 years after the phone is manufactured :P

So needless to say, I'm glad I was able to reset it, I was thinking if there were ever kids around, I would have to hide the phone from them.

I had found Aastra instructions about how to program the phone online, (eg. idle screen mesasge, softkeys, a bunch of other features) http://adsi.aastra.com/dealer/simple_instructions.htm and the programming would get transferred via a phone call afterwards, but I wasn't sure if my phone would be screwed up or fixed, the "readme" page had a warning about which serial numbers of phones that could be programmed, and mine didn't have the right info on its label.

It stores a bunch of numbers and has call display, so I'm happy with that, without being able to program the softkeys. A nice feature is that if the number is stored in the phone's memory, when that person calls, their name comes up, no matter what the call display name comes up as (if a name comes up at all). I put all the repeat offender telemarketers' numbers into the phone too.
Old 2013-12-29, 02:35 PM   #15
itsingoodshape

Default Aastra 390 Loosing Memories

I have an Aastra 390 installed on a Rogers Home Phone network.
During my 3 day power outage just before Christmas the battery in the phone modem died after about 5 hours. When power came back all the memories and call registry were gone in the Aastra.
I spent 2 hours programming them all back in.
I noticed this morning that the memories are gone again. We did have a brief 6 minute power outage, I didn't check after that though.
I programmed 1 memory into the phone just now and pulled the AC plug on the phone for 10 minutes, it was still there.
Opened the phone there is no small battery inside the phone.
Anyone have any hints ??