Rogers 8642 HD (Nextbox) PVR Owners Thread: Read post #1 ) - Page 30 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Old 2011-10-09, 12:15 PM   #436
symphonic
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I'll try all this. I have the URC1056.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-10-09, 12:37 PM   #437
symphonic
Rookie

I tried these instructions for the URC1056 from URCsupport.com. Lots of blinking lights but the problem remains.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Channel Volume Lock

Volume Lock allows you to control the volume through the device identified as having your primary speaker regardless of which mode you are using. On the Atlas 1055 Universal Remote, Global Volume Lock is set to TV, so you can control TV volume while in the AUX, DVD, TV, CBL mode. You can perform Individual Volume Unlock on a selected device to set its volume control for independent operation.

Note: The audio mode's (AUD) volume controls are active regardless of Volume Lock settings. However, if you lock the volume controls of the AUD mode, you will have control of the audio device's volume in all other modes (i.e., AUX, DVD, TV, and CBL). This can be an advantage if, for example, you always listen to home entertainment devices through your receiver's speakers.

Unlocking Volume Control for a Single Device

Assuming Global Volume Lock is active, select a mode on the remote control that you want to unlock (e.g., CBL) and press it once. Next, press and hold SETUP until the device key blinks twice.
Enter 9 9 3. The last selected device key will blink twice.
Press VOL- once. The last selected device key will blink four times.
Repeat steps 1 through 3 for each device you want volume to be unlocked.

Now, after you select a device that has volume unlocked, pressing VOL+, VOL- or MUTE will control only that device's volume.

Unlocking All Volume Control

On the remote control, press and hold SETUP until the last-selected device key blinks twice.
Enter 9 9 3. The last-selected device key will blink twice.
Press VOL+ once. The last-selected device key will blink four times.

Locking Volume Control to One Mode

Note: The audio mode's volume controls are active regardless of Volume Lock settings. However, if you lock the volume controls to the AUD mode, you will control the audio device's volume in all other modes (i.e., AUX, DVD, TV, or CBL). This can be an advantage if, for example, you always listen to home entertainment devices through your receiver's speakers.

On the remote control, press and hold SETUP until the last-selected device key blinks twice.
Enter 9 9 3. The last-selected device key will blink twice.
Select a mode (e.g., TV or AUD) which you want to use to control the volume. The selected device key will blink twice.

Now, when you press VOL+, VOL-, or MUTE, the volume of the selected device (e.g.,TV) is controlled regardless of mode.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 2011-10-09, 02:16 PM   #438

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

You cannot control digital audio (HDMI, optical, coaxial audio) with the STB, therefore you need to control the volume on the TV or AVR if applicable when using HDMI. Using the global volume lock feature from the remote's operating manual will work (after the proper TV code is programmed into the remote first). If you can use the Rogers remote to turn the TV on/off, then the TV code is probably already there and you only need to properly implement the global volume lock to the TV. You can then programme in "master power" too, to turn both devices on/off with one button press. If the TV doesn't turn on/off using the Rogers remote, then you need to programme in the proper TV code first.

SA FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719 Post 5.

Useful post - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2011-10-09, 05:18 PM   #439
symphonic
Rookie

Thanks for the reply, 57. I regret buying the HDMI cable and can't remember how the original RCA cables were connected in order to return to the setup left by Rogers' installation guy.

I am already able to turn the TV on and off using the Rogers remote, so that means the TV's code was in place from when the technician was here.

But where can I find the instructions and TV code for implementing the global volume lock you suggest? The remote's instruction sheet does not mention a global volume lock.

Or do I follow the instructions I posted above but using the TV's code instead of 9-9-3?

Last edited by symphonic; 2011-10-09 at 05:39 PM.
Old 2011-10-09, 05:37 PM   #440

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

The instructions are in the operating manual for the remote. I already provided the necessary link to download the manual. You should also have been provided a remote manual with the STB/remote (although the version is sometimes a short form version). The 993 code is to implement global volume lock, it has nothing to do with the TV code. Suggest you read the remote operating manual thoroughly and carefully.

If you wish to go back to component video and analogue audio, simply connect the red white analogue audio cables from the STB to the TV and the red/green/blue component video cables from the STB to the TV. Here's that FAQ and check out my "useful post" link in my previous post:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085
Old 2011-10-09, 05:42 PM   #441
symphonic
Rookie

The 993 did nothing earlier so I'll try again and if that fails then try to return to the RCA cables.
Old 2011-10-13, 09:20 AM   #442
LetItRide7777

Location: Vaughan, ON - Rogers Cable - 8642HD PVR - Panasonic 50" Plasma - TX-SR 606 - KEF KHT2005.3 HT
Default 8642PVR – Issue when recording 2 shows

I am using the 8642 PVR box...I’m having two issues with my recordings. First issue is when selecting a recording from the List and select Start from the Beginning, the recording show displays properly, however, when the recorded show ends the following scheduled recording does not display as recording.

It happens mostly when there are two recordings scheduled at the same time. If I try changing the channels to either channel that I am recording, on one of the channels it states that I am recording "Revenge" and when I change the channel to the other recording it should state "CSI" however, it displays " " and I'm unable to see that CSI in the background, it displays a blank screen.

This happened last week and again last night… for different shows and times. I don’t wont to continue testing this as I am losing recordings and I the wife is getting upset that her shows are not recording.
Has anyone else experience the same issue… I had Rogers come over last week and they tested the signal strength and also changed the 8642 PVR box, changed the cables into the house and changed the cables at the hub down the street which greatly approved the signal strength and resolved the with the stuttering on NBCW (529) and FOXW (531).
Old 2011-10-13, 09:30 AM   #443
LetItRide7777

Location: Vaughan, ON - Rogers Cable - 8642HD PVR - Panasonic 50" Plasma - TX-SR 606 - KEF KHT2005.3 HT

Just another note to the issue above, all my recordings for next Wednesday (from 8pm to 11pm), my issue happens yesterday (Wednesday), are not set to record. However all of my other recordings for other days are fine.
Old 2011-10-13, 10:01 AM   #444

1. A reboot usually solves these sorts of problems.

2. If a repeating recording is 7 days away, it will not show in the scheduled recordings. You need to wait until it's 5-6 days away and it should then appear.

3. If you set a single recording, then it'll show immediately.

4. Try to set your recordings so that they're not at prime viewing time (if you have time-shift packages or alternate channels). That way the PVR won't be working as hard and you're less likely to have issues.

5. If the programme is on both US and Canadian Channels at the same time, record the Canadian channel otherwise you may end up with simsub issues as reported in other threads.

Useful Post: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2011-10-13, 07:13 PM   #445
Dugan

Default Recording 2 shows, 1 disappears!

Daily reboots seem to be the accepted solution, accompanied by much sighing and teeth gnashing... but the following has now happened more than once....

Recording 2 shows airing simultaneously (CSI and Revenge) and watching one of them (Revenge) in chasing playback mode, about 20 minutes behind......top of the hour arrives and the box pops to "List", showing CSI as saved, Revenge nowhere to be found...

Using 8642 and 1TB W/D ext. hdd.

Just posting in case anybody else is seeing this as well?
Old 2011-10-16, 09:49 PM   #446
albertbaker105
Rookie

Default Slingbox and Rogers/Cisco 8642HD PVR

Slingbox 's on screen remote for the 8642HD is the generic remote which does nor have the yellow triangle that allows you to Accept a recording .As a result,you cannot record from the Slingbox.You can see what is recorded by pressing the on-screen green button but cannot access the button to see scheduled recordings.Any solutions?(Rogers has not yet set up remote (online)recording control for the 8642HD so that option is not yet available for recording from your computer)
Old 2011-10-16, 09:54 PM   #447
alebowgm
Veteran

I have a Cisco 8462HD PVR and a Slingbox A/V and all works fine. It even works flawlessly with my Slingcatcher and its native remote. All you have to do is select the Scientific Atlanta 8300 when you are in the settings. The IR codes for the 8642 remote and the 8300 remote are the same.
Old 2011-10-17, 06:09 PM   #448
phoenix44

Default Explorer 8642 flicker or skip on playback?

has anyone experienced any flicker or very quick skip on playback? I did have the previous version of explorer 7 it was replaced because the picture would freeze, sometimes for up to a couple of seconds.
Old 2011-10-18, 11:35 AM   #449
Holmes108

Guys, I tried to search for something on this error, but I'm coming up with nothing.

My 8642 spontaneously started this "countdown"... the error code looks like a lower case "r", followed by numbers, and it's counting down, counting up, etc... I see letters appear at the end of the string occasionally (hex?), and it's been going for over half an hour.

I tried unplugging for a bit, but when I plugged it in, it's just continuing the same behavior. Has anyone experienced this? It's happening on the unit I'm renting, thank goodness, in case it's totally trashed.

Edit: it appears to say "h" now, with numbers counting up
Old 2011-10-18, 12:01 PM   #450
Davey74

Default Holmes108

I'm in Barrie and have the same problem. I noticed it at 5:00 this morning. I called Rogers and they say an update is having trouble "sticking" to the PVRs.
The Rogers tech indicated that it was fairly wide spread as they were very busy with calls. Apparently they are working on as the array of letters and numbers on the screen has changed since 5:00AM

Tags
8642, audio drpouts, cisco, cisco 8642, closed captioning, download, firmware, freezing, hd-pvr, live, pause, pvr, recording, rogers