New commercial antennas focused on the 14-51 range? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > Antenna Research & Development

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-10-05, 11:53 PM   #46
300ohm
Veteran

Its in the latter part of this thread, when I was modeling it for tballister of antennahacks :

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...highlight=xg91

Remember ??
Advertisement

Old 2011-10-06, 12:34 AM   #47
balm
Veteran

i found it in post #198, but it sounds like you worked on it more after, and rescaled it again...
Old 2011-10-06, 01:47 AM   #48
300ohm
Veteran

Yeah maybe. Ive been playing with it for so long, even I have forgotten most of the models. Ive got a ton of them, heh. But basically, bigger reflector, no need for fancy X directors, just "Fat" directors will do a wonderful job on the 91XG. So yeah, Antennas Direct maybe be throwing away a simple opportunity here. Of course, the shipping box will be bigger and weight will be more, not necessarily a small factor with rising fuel prices.
Old 2011-10-10, 02:06 AM   #49
Archerotor

Default Antennas Direct new DB4e

Approximately, what will the price be for the new AD DB4e?
Old 2011-10-10, 08:32 AM   #50
ProjectSHO89

Based on their temporary posting of the DB4e on their website a week or two ago, I seem to recall $89 or so as the selling price.
Old 2011-10-10, 01:55 PM   #51
Archerotor

Default RE: Antennas Direct DB4e

The DB4e at $89 will have to be significantly better in terms of gain across the 14 to 51 spectrum than the Channel Master 4221HD; because that antenna can be found for between $39 and $60, and the bottom line is most consumers, now more than ever, want the best value for their dollar.
Old 2011-10-10, 04:32 PM   #52
holl_ands
Veteran

91XG's "X-shaped" Directors could be simplified...and are probably only needed for first
half of the antenna anyway, with simpler Rod Directors on the front.

In the UK, simple X-shaped Directors are fairly common, such as in XB-12 & XB-16:
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/atvschoi...ials.html#XB16
Even simpler Dipole type Rods are also popular, such as Yagi-18, et. al.

Fracarro BLU920F uses simple, Triangular Outline Bowties in a plastic carrier:
http://www.fracarro.com/internationa...logo/25-26.pdf
BLU920F is slighty longer (95-in vs 90-in) and slightly higher Gain than 91XG,
and is now available via Amazon from AbilityHDTV (Maine, USA):
http://****************/BLU920F-CH14.../dp/B001BAWALK

FYI: Euro Channel EC21 (470 MHz) thru EC49 (698 MHz) is our New UHF Band.
UK Band A+B=K Antennas (e.g. XB-16B & XB-16K) are good choices for New UHF Band:
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/gaincurves.html
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/atvstock...ts.html#Bgroup
Don't forget to add 2.15 dB to convert dBd to dBi.
Old 2011-10-10, 05:44 PM   #53
majortom
Veteran

Archerotor,
Keep in mind Antennas Direct has a lifetime warranty on all their antennas. Somethin breaks, they'll replace it free of charge. I'm sure that'd be factored in somehow. Also keep in mind I don't have anything from either CM or AD, so just pointing that out, not pluggin.
Old 2011-10-10, 06:30 PM   #54
Archerotor

Default RE: Antennas Direct DB4e

Hey majortom
I've heard about their good no hassle 'fix it' policy. I was keen on trying an 91XG and looked at the Canadian "Save and Replay" website: $109 for the unit, and with shipping and tax it would be a little over $150 there; so it's overall (Canadian) cost that factors in, particulary when you're in an area that doesn't have OTA stores. The DB4e looks interesting in that the balun looks redesigned- at least externally. I like that AD has taken the time to come out with an antenna better suited to the 14 to 51 range, and would like to see Antennacraft have something that is new because right now for UHF only they have the U4000/U8000 and the MXU47/MXU59.
Old 2011-10-12, 03:29 AM   #55
Archerotor

Default RE: DB4e

I couldn't find the DB4e on the Antennas Direct website. If it's coming out in less than a month, why would AD pull the link to the antenna? I suppose they might want to sell as much of their inventory of old DB4's before the new one cuts into its sales.
Old 2011-10-12, 07:52 AM   #56
ADTech

Default DB2e and Db4e Update

The new bow ties should be back on the website soon (unless the boss changes his mind). We put them up previously with the intention of being able to accept pre-orders, but the new back end e-commerce system wasn't set up properly for it. It was decided to pull the listings while the e-comm issues were resolved and the DB2e descriptions were corrected. The web geeks have been working on it this week, so it looks like we'll be able to put them back up soon with the capability for pre-orders (maybe).

We expect to have inventory and to begin shipping the first week of November. Keep in mind that we do not ship direct to consumer outside the 48 contiguous states, so our Canadian customers should contact our Canadian partners (including the sponsor of this forum) if you want them imported. We can offer the product to our dealers all we want to, but they have to see demand on the buyer's side to convince them to carry new products.

The balun is unchanged from the most recent versions of the legacy DB2 and DB4 models. There was a running change last year for the balun enclosure where it went from the square enclosure to the "hockey puck" style. The PCB (UP2N) inside has been unchanged for several years and we do not have any current plans to change it on our UHF antennas.

Yes, we do have a very liberal warranty. We often even cover the unfortunate event where it's clearly not a warrant-able item.

Holland,

I investigated UK Band K antennas last year to see if there were any that offered the opportunity to import as potential replacements for our existing 91XG. I was unable to find any that out performed our existing product, so the search continues. I am not aware of any active plans to re-scale the 91XG.

Cheers!
Old 2011-10-12, 05:34 PM   #57
Archerotor

Default RE: Db2e Db4e Update

Thanks for the detailed reply, ADTech.
It reinforces Antennas Direct commitment to the consumer.
Old 2011-10-13, 11:33 AM   #58
lithOTA

AD Tech, can you tell us if the DB2e and DB4e will arrive in small parts to be assembled (like the 91XG and C4) or as one big chunk? I only ask because I'm curious about whether it will fit through a small attic access openning.
Old 2011-10-13, 01:40 PM   #59
ADTech

It will be the same as how the current DB2 and DB4 have been packaged for years. Pull it all out of the box and install the standoffs between the front and rear sections with the bolts.
Old 2011-10-13, 07:17 PM   #60
MoreDB

Archerotor, placing links is not allowed and not sure about naming companies outside the allowed threads, but I believe there is an Antenna Direct Canadian distributor listed on their website that has stores in the Vancouver area (Surrey and Coquitlam). You should find them listed on the AD website.

They sell both the 91XG and DB4 for good prices and you could pick up to avoid shipping costs.

And yes, Antenna Directs after sales service is extremely good.