Peachtree TV removed from Cogeco? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Cogeco

Old 2011-03-16, 09:33 PM   #31
Musashii

Does anyone think its a positive sign that Peachtree is still listed in the guide with that saying on the screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-03-21, 06:24 PM   #32
nakedgord

So I take it nothing has changed? Channel gone (I assume for good) and replaced with nothing for the same price unless you complain?
Old 2011-03-22, 01:03 AM   #33
Musashii

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedgord View Post
So I take it nothing has changed? Channel gone (I assume for good) and replaced with nothing for the same price unless you complain?
Well yes the channel is gone for now, but it is still showing up on the guide so it could be a sign that Cogeco is negotiating to bring back it, not sure tho.
Old 2011-05-26, 10:47 AM   #34
vikkifox
Rookie

Default No rebate is better than price increase!

I find it funny that everyone is complaining that they want a credit for losing one channel... a channel that mainly comprised of reruns of syndicated shows (Seinfeld, Friends, Family Guy,etc) that you can find on a lot of other channels (okay maybe not necessarily on the same time slot). And on weekends it just played back old movies that were "edited for TV". Did it ever occur to these people that maybe Cogeco is trying to SAVE you from having to pay a drastic rate increase for a channel that had redundant programming? Peachtree was trying to gouge service providers to carry their channel and of course the cost of that would have to be downloaded onto the customer. Rogers and Bell have big pockets and can probably eat that cost for awhile, but Cogeco's a smaller cable company. It's hard enough to keep from increasing rates due to the ever increasing gas prices and the cost to run the fleet. So far, from what I saw, the rate increases that have happened were to offset the cost of providing all the new additional services like increasing VOD content and additional HD channels that are still growing. I'm very happy to have NFL network and now NFL network HD... channels that I thought I could only ever get on a dish. By saying you haven't had Peachtree "replaced" by something else is just because nothing new has been placed in that channel slot, but Cogeco is constantly adding new channels. Albeit, they are in different packages, and some of you who only subscribe to basic have good reason for wanting another channel in it's place. But I'm sure they will eventually replace it with something if they can't negotiate something with Peachtree.
Old 2011-05-26, 10:55 AM   #35
alebowgm
Veteran

If Cogeco removed the channel and then went to subs and said, hey we are dumping a channel cause they want a rate increase and since we are dumping it we are now taking X off the cost of that tier/package, then no one would be complaining. The problem for many is that they are removing content and keeping the price the same.
Old 2011-05-26, 11:35 AM   #36
Andicus

Exactly!

And if we're not supposed to complain about one channel, how about two? Three? At what point should we be allowed to take issue with a reduction in service without a reduction in cost?

Last edited by 57; 2011-05-26 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
Old 2011-05-26, 04:48 PM   #37
mrheisman
Rookie

+1

Not to mention all the sports they had on Peachtree. E.G.- Baseball and SEC teams.

Edit: Sorry, that was directed towards alebowgm.
Old 2011-06-10, 09:38 AM   #38
nakedgord

I'm slightly shocked that it looks like Peachtree is gone for good. This coupled with the fact Cogeco has to be the only provider left that doesn't carry TCM makes me think they're in a long term dispute with Time Warner.

Really is there a cable co anywhere in North America that's in a long term carriage dispute with Time Warner like Cogeco appears to be in with them?

I'm hoping TW plays hardball and when their contract is up for renewal with Astral for HBO Canada they require Astral not to include HBO Canada in Cogeco areas.
Old 2011-06-10, 10:17 AM   #39
alebowgm
Veteran

That would be interesting to see, because I thought that Astral + Corus just had a naming agreement + programming agreement with Time Warner, not an ownership interest.
Old 2011-07-06, 05:39 AM   #40
nakedgord

Remarkable...I hope Time-Warner plays hardball with them for the channels they have left with Cogeco. According to talk in the Bell v Shaw Direct thread in the main forums Bell is apparently not giving access to Cogeco for things like Space HD.

Seriously - every other provider can work out deals with Time-Warner for Peachtree and TCM? Kinda shows that Cogeco might rather uppity in dealing with people generally.

Heck just ask Teksavvy...

I wonder if the competition might just crush Cogeco for fun and pick up the pieces for pennies on the dollar.
Old 2011-07-06, 10:49 AM   #41
rumble57
Rookie

If Cogeco removes a channel they should replace it with a channel
from the themes we have to pay for or from the movie channels