CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Original code iS1 - Page 19 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion > Shaw Gateway

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-08, 01:35 PM   #271
coleworld
Rookie

To confirm... If I have 2 tv's, then I would need the $598 gateway box plus the $178 portal for the 2nd TV?

How much are people getting for a trade in DCT3400? Just one portal?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-05-08, 01:39 PM   #272
rocko

Smile How Much Are Extra Remotes

I have 3 TV's. What do I need to buy?

If I buy the gateway plus 1 portal package for $598 will this service 3 TV's?

I think both the gateway and portal each come with a remote so that gives me 2 remotes.

How much is the 3rd remote and are there any other costs I should be aware of?
Old 2011-05-08, 01:42 PM   #273
Flash604

So my next question is somewhat Gateway related; somewhat Shaw policy related.

We have four outlets in our condo: Bedroom TV, Living Room TV, Kitchen TV and a fourth outlet I got them to add in our computer area. Computer area is for the cable modem, but then I have it split to go to the two TV Tuner cards in the desktops PCs.

The question is the 4 outlets that is usually included in your cable package vs. the 6 tuners the Gateway has built in. Will Shaw expect you to pay for 2 more outlets if you're using all the tuners, or are they adjusting their plans to allow 6 outlets? I had thought of getting a Gateway plus 2 portals for the TVs, and then using the 2 free digital box rentals that come with the Plan Personalizer for the computers. Will Shaw say no to this since it would be one more tuner than I have outlets?
Old 2011-05-08, 01:42 PM   #274
rocko

Talking Will Shaw accept trade in of Bell PVR's

I am currently with Bell. I would like to switch but have 2 Bell PVR's?

Does anyone know if Shaw is accepting trades for people changing providers?

Should I wait for a 3rd party trade in that may happen down the road?
Old 2011-05-08, 01:54 PM   #275
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
I have 3 TV's. What do I need to buy?

If I buy the gateway plus 1 portal package for $598 will this service 3 TV's?

AFAIK, The Gateway comes with one (1) Portal. Each TV needs a Portal. Each Portal runs one (1) tv(possibly more but all connected would show the same channel). For three TVs you would need to buy one Gateway/Portal and two additional Portals. ($598+178+178=$954+Taxes)
Old 2011-05-08, 06:00 PM   #276
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway

@rocko Shaw is not currently trading competitors equipment for the new Gateway - only on legacy equipment at this point in time.
Old 2011-05-08, 06:05 PM   #277
Shaw Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash604 View Post
So my next question is somewhat Gateway related; somewhat Shaw policy related.

We have four outlets in our condo: Bedroom TV, Living Room TV, Kitchen TV and a fourth outlet I got them to add in our computer area. Computer area is for the cable modem, but then I have it split to go to the two TV Tuner cards in the desktops PCs.

The question is the 4 outlets that is usually included in your cable package vs. the 6 tuners the Gateway has built in. Will Shaw expect you to pay for 2 more outlets if you're using all the tuners, or are they adjusting their plans to allow 6 outlets? I had thought of getting a Gateway plus 2 portals for the TVs, and then using the 2 free digital box rentals that come with the Plan Personalizer for the computers. Will Shaw say no to this since it would be one more tuner than I have outlets?
If you wanted to use the Gateway and had it set up on 5TV's then that would be 5 Outlets. If you have 4TV's and the Gateway and use all the tuners there is no problem. There is a difference between physical outlet and a tuner. If you have more than 5 or more outlets activated thats where the charge comes from. You will be fine with your plan of action.
Old 2011-05-08, 06:42 PM   #278
pwh2112

@Shaw Champ Thanks for the response. Yes,I am aware of the wait for launch in Victoria.
Old 2011-05-08, 06:45 PM   #279
Flash604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw Champ
If you wanted to use the Gateway and had it set up on 5TV's then that would be 5 Outlets. If you have 4TV's and the Gateway and use all the tuners there is no problem. There is a difference between physical outlet and a tuner. If you have more than 5 or more outlets activated thats where the charge comes from. You will be fine with your plan of action.
Perhaps I expressed what I said wrong, I meant I'd have 3 portals (Gateway's portal + 2 extra portals) going to the TVs plus the 2 digital boxes going to the computers. From what you've said, I think I'd have to pay for an extra outlet.
Old 2011-05-08, 07:05 PM   #280
Shaw Champ

I'm sorry Flash You said it find, I read it wrong. If you have 5tv's then yes there could very well be a charge, I would advise to call in and ask. The only reason I say that is BC launch is a little ways off and things could very well change there. (with Gateway and Outlets (nothing official)) Definately good feedback though, appreciated.
Old 2011-05-08, 07:27 PM   #281
tttinbc
Rookie

Hello all, great forum and discussion.

I currently only have one tv which may expand to two in the future so the big appeal to me of this system isn't so much the number of portals available but would be the increased recording capability and the ability to record remotely using my iphone.

Am I correct in assuming that the gateway contains the 6 tuners so I would be able to record 6 HD shows at once even if I only have one portal or does each portal have a limit? Currently of course I can only record 2 shows at once and watch a recorded one but sadly sometimes this isn't sufficient especially in hockey and football season.

Also, if I'm using the hdmi from the portal to the tv can I also still use the component and optical audio at the same time which I am currently able to do.

Thanks

tttinbc

Last edited by tttinbc; 2011-05-08 at 07:55 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 2011-05-09, 08:19 AM   #282
I Wanna Flat Panel

If the Gateway is so complex as not to be a self-install, then I doubt I'll ever get it. My condo is of stressed concrete construction with wiring and plumbing within the concrete. Shaw has never been able to figure out how the cable gets from the central building cable room to my unit and have been unable to restring/pull cable. Sigh.
Old 2011-05-09, 10:17 AM   #283
das75

Default credit for Pace summit

I've purchased the Pace DC758D and drive, is Shaw offering credit for these (if so how much)?

++++++++++

looks like just an exchange for a portal worth $178, so I'm down $598 if I want to network in another TV
Old 2011-05-09, 10:33 AM   #284
bluboy01newwest

Default gateway

i am looking forward to this! Probably close to a day 1 switch for me when available in the Vancouver area. Still a little confused as to just what equipment will be required for my 2 tv`s, but I am certainly ready to trade my 2 HDPVR`s!
Old 2011-05-09, 11:26 AM   #285
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

Following up on the Remote Control codes subject, I made a couple of inquiries on the weekend and received replies this morning. The following is the one from the Gateway manufacturer:
Quote:
Hi Mr. XXXXXXXX, My name is XXXXXX and I am an Account Vice President responsible for working with Shaw on behalf of Arris. We received your email over the weekend and I would like to provide you an update regarding your Logitech Harmony inquiry:

We have recently purchased a new Harmony remote for testing and validation here in our lab, and use at shows and demos, but in the meantime here is what we do know.
• Although no formal ARRIS testing has been done approving the performance of the Harmony remote with the Media Player (same product as the Shaw Total Home Portal), we have multiple reports of ARRIS users that own a Harmony remote and use that remote with their MCR's (this is our retail box called Moxi that is similar to the Shaw Total Home Portal you will have installed shortly).
• The codes for the MCR are exactly the same codes, from a remote control perspective, as those used in the Shaw Total Home Portal.
• If you go to Logitech.com’s site, and search on Moxi model #MR-1500T3, you will find the MCR product is supported.
• When we have completed testing our new Harmony with the Media Player, and confirmed that there are no unusual issues, we will contact Logitech and have a separate ARRIS Media Player reference added. We do not want to take that step until we have tested the remote with the Media Player first.

All that said, it is not uncommon, if you read the various Harmony blogs, that some functions on various manufacturer’s devices do not seem to work, or work properly, with the Harmony remote. The remote Arris/Shaw provides has been designed specifically to support the User Interface experience and should be promoted as the desired device for maximizing the experience. Let me know if you have any additional questions and we hope you enjoy the new Shaw video experience.

Regards,
XXXXXXX
I also received a reply from Logitech stating that if I can email the manufacturer of the 'new' equipment and get them to send them the Hex Codes, they would be happy to add them to their list.

Based on the letter above, the codes are the same as what is there now so the 'Moxi' codes should work. As ARRIS says they will provide the information once it is validated, this process should happen in short order, I would expect.

For now, I will be adding the Moxi codes to my Harmony One in anticipation of the system working as described but I won't be upset if it isn't perfect. Besides, I can always custom learn and program any keys that don't work between the two remotes.
Closed Thread

Tags
gateway, portal, recycle