Novus-ON-Demand - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Other Canadian Cable and IPTV Providers > Novus Cable

Old 2011-02-08, 07:43 PM   #1
mitchymitch

Default Novus-ON-Demand

Any idea when Novus-ON-Demand will be working?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-02-20, 11:45 PM   #2
ncat
Rookie

I hope soon, I started using novus recently as im new to the area, and I cant believe they dont have it. I've been using On Demand for years with my previous cable company.
Old 2011-02-24, 04:03 PM   #3
mitchymitch

Hope they get it soon or I may have to switch back to Shaw
Old 2011-03-04, 09:04 PM   #4
TWRY
Rookie

Don't hold your breath. A recent chat with a Novus employee left me with no hope of On Demand services anytime soon.
Old 2011-03-08, 03:37 PM   #5
ncat
Rookie

I'm new to Novus and if I would have know there was no "On Demand" I never would have signed up. In fact Im still thinking of changing to SHAW.
Old 2011-03-09, 04:10 PM   #6
Aremith
Rookie

I don't understand what the huge appeal with VOD is. Everything outside of MCOD still costs money, and is generally more expensive than regular PPV.

You can easily get TV On Demand using a service like Hotspot Shield to get a US IP address and then using Hulu, and at that point, it's just movies that aren't on demand. But, for the price of the OD rental, you can just go to Blockbuster or Rogers Video or your local video rental place and get the Blu Ray rental, so you get uncompressed HD. Sure, it may be a tad more inconvenient, but it's better quality and about the same price.
Old 2011-03-10, 04:47 AM   #7
ncat
Rookie

I use hotspot shield on occasion, but it makes everything load really slow and its annoying. I'd rather just sit on my sofa and hit play on the remote to watch TV-on-demand.
I don't live beside a video rental store, so I have to drive there to rent and the second trip to return it. Its a nice convenience to be able to watch movies on demand. Its pretty much standard these days for cable companies to have those features.
Old 2013-01-04, 08:14 PM   #8
skeena1

CRTC will announce their decision next week:

16. Novus Entertainment Inc.
Metro Vancouver, British Columbia
Application 2012-0528-7

Application by Novus Entertainment Inc. for a broadcasting licence to operate a regional video-on-demand programming undertaking to serve Metro Vancouver, to be known as NOVUS VOD.

The applicant proposes to offer programming that would be devoted to feature films but would also include other types of programming, such as television series, documentaries, children’s programs, animation, music, sports and adult programming.

The applicant included an internal policy for adult programming along with its application.

The applicant indicates that the programming would be predominantly in the English language, but that it would also offer programming in the French, Mandarin and Cantonese languages.

The applicant confirmed that it will comply with the standard requirements as set out in Standard requirements for video-on-demand undertakings – Provision of an outlet for local expression, measures to control the loudness of commercial messages and annual filing of aggregate statistical data, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-59-1, 8 May 2012.

Applicant’s address:

300-112 3rd Avenue East
Vancouver, British Columbia
V5T 1C8
Fax: 604-685-7832
Email: donna.robertson@novusnow.ca
Email to request electronic version of application: donna.robertson@novusnow.ca
Old 2013-01-11, 08:10 PM   #9
skeena1

Above application was approved.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-6.htm