No 3D For New Batman Film - Turning Point For Hollywood? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Blu-ray, DVD and in the theatres.

Old 2010-11-02, 04:37 PM   #16
David Susilo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo42 View Post
I think it is more so people just can't pay that extra cash for a 3D movie and it's showing in box office receipts ? You would never think the economy is so bad in the US with people out of work, losing there homes etc.. and corporations continuing to raise rates on everything, putting up ticket prices and charging extra for 3D movies is just a kick in the teeth to most consumers. I think its economics coming into play here.
$15-ish per ticket is ridiculous when you can buy a new-release BD for around $20 and the entire family can watch together.

My family love to watch movies so it is actually cheaper in the long run to have a dedicated theatre with THX-ratio viewing distance.

( http://acebydavidsusilo.webs.com if anybody want to look see what a low-budget can do)
Advertisement

Old 2010-11-02, 08:50 PM   #17
reidw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithLysol View Post
I don't know about you guys, but when I'm watching a 3D movie it just seems so... layered. As in you see a 2D background where select items are in different "foreground layers'. It doesn't look good at all, especially when I'm looking at it thinking "background layer, foreground layer..."
Or as I've described it for years: 3D today is like those museum dioramas where they create a sense of depth by putting flat cardboard cutouts at different distances from the viewer who is looking through a small opening at the scene. It looks artificial, which is why it works best for animation, but not for live action. Today's 3D in no way imitates or duplicates what we see when we look at the world through our eyes. Two very different things.

There is a novelty in today's 3D especially for kids but it fails for live action with adults. Rather than bringing you INTO the scene in a live action film, all it does heighten the sense of artificiality. Hence the failures of most live action 3D films so far.
Old 2010-11-05, 02:23 PM   #18
dm_4u
Veteran

I think we should go bqack to the red and blue cardboard glasses where everything was 3D...even if it wasn't
Old 2010-11-05, 03:10 PM   #19
reidw
Veteran

There was a story in the media a couple of days ago that may make us all want to hold off on getting a 3D TV. It seems scientists feel that they are close to creating a holographic style 3D image a bit like Princess Leia's (sp?) desperation hologram to Obi-Wan Kenobi in the first Star Wars film. That was a true 3D image, one you could walk around and see all sides of the Princess. That's why I've referred to the 3D that's out today as cardboard cutout/viewmaster technology. It's very artificial. Holographic 3D by the way would NOT require special glasses.
Old 2010-11-05, 03:40 PM   #20
james99

Yup. Read it as well.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20977...y_in_2017.html