DP34 Switch - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV Hardware Installation Forum

Old 2010-08-17, 02:19 PM   #61
nic78

Bell does surpport dp/dpp they have been using them since this spring (DPP twin LNBs and dpp separators, but no dpp44's). And the firmware would of always supported it regardless as it is written for Echostar Dishnet boxes, modified for Bell.

Just buy a dpp44.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-08-17, 05:02 PM   #62
Pinza
Veteran

As nic78 says, the DPP LNBF and Seperator are now now deployed for Dual Tuner Installations so any worries about DPP being omitted from the firmware by Bell should now be a thing of the past.

nic78, I appreciate what you say about the software being provided by Bell but then modified by Bell, it is this modification that could have had lots of us come unstuck with DPP or even DP, as it was not officially supported it also created problems when calling Tech Support, who had no clue what it was. Now they most likely still do not know what it is but hopefully there is something in their scripts about it.

Just think back to when Bell tried to roll out the Guide with 4 digits, it crashed just about all the PVR's and lets face it, Echostar and through them Dish had been using the 4 digit Guide for months if not years, when Bell manged to screw it up. So it was possible that they omitted a line of code, thinking no-one in Canada used DP/DPP.
Old 2010-08-17, 09:15 PM   #63
mkey
Rookie

Default DP vs DPP

Sorry if this is already answered and I have part of the answer but I was wondering what are all the advantages of using DPP vs DP? My perception and looking on ebay and other sites, DPP switches are costlier and it seems DP switches are more available.
Old 2010-08-18, 06:43 AM   #64
QCK

mkey, DP switches do not allow use of a DPP seperator so you would still need two lines going to your 9141/9142 receiver where as with a DPP44 switch you only need one line and then a DPP seperator to feed the two tuners.
Old 2010-08-23, 08:09 PM   #65
mkey
Rookie

Thanks All for your guidance.

I have one more question. If you had a choice of using a DP Quad, DPP Twin or DP Twin LNBF which would you use and why?
Old 2010-08-24, 03:52 PM   #66
Q
Veteran

mkey,

Using any of those will have no effect on signal. If you use any kind of switch after like the DP34, DPP33, DPP44 then again either of those will be fine. If however you do not plan to use a switch and have a dual tuner receiver which you would like to run one line to then a DPP twin is obviously the best. If using any switch and you can run 4 lines I personally believe the DP quad is the most robust.

Q
Old 2012-07-04, 11:04 AM   #67
Jostudly
Rookie

Default dp34 switch

I have a dishpro quad lnb and 1 dual tuner 9242 and 2 3100 bell receivers. From what I understand from research I run 2 cables from each satellite 82 and 91 to the house and connect them to a dp34 switch. Then I run 2 cables from the dp34 to my 3100's. The problem is I have only 1 cable running to the wall where my dual tuner will be. I can run 1 short cable from the wall to the dual tuner but I need a switch to connect the second cable to the dual tuner as well. I do not want to run a second cable from my panel to where the dual tuner will be so what switch do I require there? Also if I have a 4th tv that I want to run from the dual tuner what switch will I need since there will be already 4 cables connected to the dp34 switch?
Old 2012-07-04, 04:46 PM   #68
46FD04

Replace the DishPro Quad LNB with the new Bell DishPro PLUS (DPP) Quad LNB and buy a DishPro Separator.

The DPP Quad has a built-in switch and 4 outputs.

Each output will support a Dual-Tuner receiver when a DishPro Separator is installed at the back of your Dual-Tuner.
Old 2012-07-04, 06:05 PM   #69
Jostudly
Rookie

I thought the dishpro quad lnb had a built in switch so you could run cables to directly to the single receivers and 2 cables going to a dish pro separator for the dual. I do not want to buy another lnb so just want to confirm the setup for the lnb I have. Also my question is where the dual receiver will be at I only have one coax connection at the wall and do not want to run another cable through the wall so would a dish pro separator work to connect the second cable to the dual receiver?
Old 2012-07-04, 07:50 PM   #70
Pinza
Veteran

There is no such beast as a DP Separator, it is a DPP Separator, so the short answer to your question is NO, you cannot add one to your DP Quad feed.
Old 2012-07-04, 11:09 PM   #71
46FD04

Pinza is correct. The Separator is actually called a DishPro PLUS Separator (or DPP Separator).

I'm getting lazy in my old age.

Your Quad LNB is NOT a PLUS LNB, meaning you CANNOT use a DPP Separator with it.

Instead, you must use a DishPro PLUS (DPP) Quad LNB made exclusively for Bell.

It has 4 outputs and a built-in switch.

You will use two outputs for your two 3100's.

You will use one output for your dual-tuner PVR. A single cable goes to your PVR, a DPP Separator is attached to the rear of your PVR (it has two short pigtails that attach to both inputs), and the incoming single cable is attached to the DPP Separator.

Going this route will allow you to use just one cable to operate the dual-tuner PVR.

This would leave you with one remaining outout on your LNB for a 4th receiver.

You have to understand that the DP Quad LNB you currently have IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than a DPP Quad LNB.

They look the same, but they are not!

Hope this info helps.
Old 2012-07-05, 08:57 AM   #72
Jostudly
Rookie

Okay the guy that sold me the dish pro quad lnb which has 4 outputs on it said I do not need any switch as it is built in already and that I can run 3 cables from the lnb to each receiver and it will work. So I just want to confirm this is correct so I do not need to buy a dish pro plus lnb? He said this will pick up 82 and 91 satellites.
Old 2012-07-05, 09:09 AM   #73
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostudly View Post
So I just want to confirm this is correct so I do not need to buy a dish pro plus lnb? He said this will pick up 82 and 91 satellites.
You need to only acquire from Bell the DPP Quad, it will pick up both 82W and 91W locations. You will need a DPP separator on for any dual tuner receiver you use to split the single cable feed into two right at the receiver end as mentioned in previous posts.
Old 2012-07-05, 10:12 AM   #74
Jostudly
Rookie

Okay so to clarify again will my dish pro quad work for Bell? If not, is this lnb only good for dishnetwork when using a dual tuner?
Old 2012-07-05, 05:43 PM   #75
Jostudly
Rookie

Okay I think I figured it out. Please correct me if I am wrong. I will buy a dish pro plus quad lnb. I will have two cables running direct from the dish to two single 3100's. I will have a 3rd cable coming from the lnb to a dpp separator and then one cable going from this to my wall jack where my dual tuner is. Another cable from the dpp separator to my 4th tv that I want to run off my dual receiver. Then behind my dual receiver a second dpp separator to connect 2 short cables to my dual tuner. So basically one dpp separator in my garage to run a tv without a receiver off my dual and a second dpp separator to feed both satellites at the receiver. So this should run 4 tv's.

Tags
dp34