Shaw no longer selling analog-only TV? - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2010-01-04, 06:57 PM   #91
23skidoo

I agree it's possible to record from the line-out on the DCT, but I'm not sure they would remember to:
- Set the VCR to line-in, rather than the desired channel
- Set the DCT to the desired channel, in advance (if they're doing a timer recording), and make sure not to change the channel on the DCT before or during recording.

I wish we had CableCARD in Canada.
23skidoo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-01-05, 01:12 PM   #92
Shaw Guru
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post
I agree it's possible to record from the line-out on the DCT, but I'm not sure they would remember to:
- Set the VCR to line-in, rather than the desired channel
- Set the DCT to the desired channel, in advance (if they're doing a timer recording), and make sure not to change the channel on the DCT before or during recording.

I wish we had CableCARD in Canada.
The DCT 700 and 2500 models have a recording option built into the guide which will turn the DCT on and tune to the channel that you want to record and prompt you if you try to change off that channel.

The key point you make is setting the VCR to record the correct input (channel 3 if using coax or input ?/Line ? if using RCA cables)
Old 2010-01-06, 02:08 PM   #93
Udowish

Location: Calgary: Samsung UND556300 LED Tv, DCT 3400, Gateway + 2 portals,shaw PVR expander; Toshiba 42ZV655

Shaw may 'want' you to go digital but I know they still sell the basic service. We just bought a condo for family member who is going to school. Just last week we got basic cable for $9.95 month for 6 months with 1 month free. Sure they try to get you to up to digital, but the service is still there.

From my perspective, IF they want to go all digital then they should provide a min of one free basic dig box. The shaw tech I spoke with said he thinks they will soon be including the basic box with ALL cable hook ups for an anticipated 2011 all digital service.

So, I take that with some salt and add at least a year or two to that time frame. I would realistically think 2012 or 2013 would be the date behind the scenes.
Udowish is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-01-06, 02:31 PM   #94
Dr.Dave

Udowish, you can get "Digital Basic" for the same price including free STB rental for 6 months.

On a related subject, Shaw is phoning analog customers and offering them a digital box. Don't know any other details like if the box is regular rental, free for 6 months, or whatever.
Dr.Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-01-06, 04:10 PM   #95
Michael DeAbreu

Great! Free set-top boxes. There goes any hope I had of getting clearQAM. I was hoping people would rebel at having to rent/buy DCT's for everyone of their TVs and tuners. This pretty well renders my HTPC useless.
Old 2010-01-12, 06:49 PM   #96
j0dest3r
Veteran

QAM or CableCARD would be nice!! Just the local stations in Clear QAM and i'd be a happy camper. We should petition the CRTC. Would that even work? LOL!
j0dest3r is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-20, 05:48 PM   #97
frontpl8

you would think they would offer some form of clear qam. This is/was the major benefit cable has over satellite, not needing a box for every tv. Imagine for example, major hotels with hundreds of rooms having to buy boxes for every tv, that would get rather expensive, and I cant see them wanting to do that. Also what about people who have secondary tv's that the rarely use, they are not going to want to purchase a box either.
If cable co's were smart they would offer some form of a QAM service.
frontpl8 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-02-21, 08:45 AM   #98
JamesK
Veteran

One reason cable companies like those boxes is to reduce cable theft. You can't receive their signal without them knowing about it.
JamesK is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-21, 11:50 PM   #99
leejor
Rookie

I just spoke to someone today that had a Shaw technician in to work on his digital box. He was told that in Vancouver, Shaw would soon discontinue analogue cable. You will get one box free and have to pay for any others. has anyone else heard about this? I would expect a huge outcry from people that have more than two TV's at home, or watch TV on their computer, or use a digital recorder, DVD or harddrive (analogue) .
leejor is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-22, 12:07 AM   #100
vjose78

I know that in rural Manitoba they moved the three tiers to digital cable and were giving out one free box per customer but haven't heard anything about analog being discontinued outright. I did email Shaw about it and they weren't sure what was going to be happening in the big cities nor when it would be happening. I guess that just means that Vancouver has met it's digital threshold and they can shut off analog now.
vjose78 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-22, 01:51 AM   #101
j0dest3r
Veteran

yech i hope this isnt true. no STBs for me.
j0dest3r is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-22, 08:41 AM   #102
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^
I guess you enjoy analog SD video then. Without a STB, you're unlikely to get HD or 5.1 sound. Back when I first got a STB, used with an analog SD set, there was a noticable difference in picture quality.
JamesK is online now   Quick reply to this message

Tags
analog, shaw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.