A deal too good to be true? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers, Fido and Chatr Wireless

Old 2010-06-28, 07:59 PM   #1
QuantumFluxx

Default A deal too good to be true?

Okay so I have an iphone 3g and I've had service on Rogers wireless for almost a year with it. My current plans are a talk time plan and their "value bundle" for iphones that includes 500mb/mo of data, unlimited texting/video messages and call id, visual voice mail.

I'm currently on the road for a few weeks visiting family in another town and while taking a break at a motel along the way I decided to call Rogers to see if there existed some kind of temporary plan to boost the amount of data usage allowed for this month because I'll be out at a camp away from internet access. I've been tethering my iphone to my laptop. The woman I talked to put me on hold for a few minutes then came back and told me she was able to put me on some kind of promotion going on right now where I get 3 months of unlimited data (which I assume to mean 5gb based on the fineprint to their other plans), but the weird thing is I didn't have to sign up for any new services or anything, nor will I have to call and cancel it at the end of the 3 months, apparently it will just automatically end.

What I'm basically wondering is if theres some kind of catch that she neglected to mention. It seems odd to just call and get unlimited data for 3 months without having to spend a penny or add any services. Does this kind of thing happen often?
Advertisement

Old 2010-06-28, 08:56 PM   #2
tuskalin

I don't know of any catch she's no mentioning, but I wouldn't trust the "automatically end" part of the deal. A good friend of mine had something added to his account temporarily and it took 3 months to get it removed, all the while being billed for it each month. Just call to ensure its removed!
tuskalin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-04, 01:40 PM   #3
GSMfan

What's the monthly fee for this promotional data plan?
GSMfan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-05, 10:23 AM   #4
Paolo
Veteran

you probaly had your data plan changed, and most of the time there is a promottional term of unlimited data, for 3 months, but find out what the "monthly fee" of data is for the data plan she put you on, you should inquire this because its your bill. dont assume unlimited internet means free internet.
Paolo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-09, 04:23 PM   #5
jbamford

You also probably signed up for a three-year term. Rogers have these promotions, they don't always cost any more than what you current pay, but they do sign you up for three years.
jbamford is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-10, 08:32 PM   #6
Paolo
Veteran

make sure you differentiate between data term and voice term. because ive seen people on month to month plan (no agreement term), but have a 3-year data contract cus they added data or blackberry and use their own phone hence they did not take a voice agreement
Paolo is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.