Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

SA 8642 v. SA 8300HD - See Post 6 For Summary

43K views 57 replies 30 participants last post by  rookie8155 
#1 ·
Edit by 57 - Summary in post 6.

Friends,

I figured it was probably worth starting a new thread that is focused specifically on the differences between the SA 8642 and the SA 8300HD, so that it can be an easy guide for people to keep track of what each has and does not have.

For example...

SA 8300HD - Visual Call Display

SA 8642 - Quieter Hard Drive, Can view only what you have subbed to in the guide

I know there are more, so throw them at me and lets get a comprehensive list developed

#2 ·
Most of the differences have probably been outlined (but not summarized in a list) in the following owners thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=122118

Once the summary of differences is complete, I'll copy them as a summary to that (or this) thread. Someone should be able to quickly go through the owners thread and create a list and post here.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57:

The firmware for the 8300 has just been updated. Some of the items below will no longer be different (I've already removed a couple). We will update as soon as we confirm the new 8300 features. Also, this reflects the "old" (SD) firmware, not the new (HD) firmware that some people have for the 8642/4642, which is completely different and has its own thread.

57, went through the thread, here is what I pulled...

Add that the Cisco 8642:

1. Faster loading On Demand sessions

4. takes a second or two for the audio to resume after a fast forward or rewind
5. Brighter LED display

7. Quieter hard drive
8. Digital only tuner
9. 500GB models may have macroblocking issue (and other issues mentioned in various threads)
10. Higher default contrast ratio

14. 3.5" SATA internal HDD up to 1TB recognized
15. Has MoCa which allows for Whole Home PVR functionality.

Add that the SA8300HD:

1. Has the Quick Start Guide
2. Ability to pause and then advance frame by frame, also "slo-mo".
3. Stronger IR sensor
4. Faster guide scrolling when active recordings
5. Visual Call Display (8642 and 4642 new firmware also now has call display)
6. Built-in Analog/Digital Tuner (lobby channel)
7. Interactive channels work (NEWS, SPORTS, etc)
8. Faster recording times at beginning of programs/Hard drive wakes faster (up to a 10 second difference)
9. Less sensitive tuner for signal quality
10. OPTION for sound over HDMI to be enabled or not (set to 'on' by default on 8642)

12. 3.5" IDE internal HDD up to 500GB recognized (but 500 GB IDE/PATA drives very difficult to find)

Has the Remote TV Manager functioning as of 2011.05.23. 8642 also now has Remote TV Manager as of 2012-12, but has been somewhat problematical, depending on your interface (smartphone, web, etc).
Has "appropriate" zoom levels which the 8642 with new firmware does not.

#8 ·
I found an annoying difference between the 8642 and 8300...
The 8642 will not hide the FFWD or RWD bar when you hit Exit while performing either action. It will hide it and then return right away, while the 8300 will disappear until you perform another similar action.

#10 ·
No one has seemed to mention that the new 8642 also has an Ethernet Port on the back. I'm not sure when this is going to be implemented by Rogers, but here's a snipit from the Cisco web page of what this box can do. There's even a video clip on what it can do as well.

Deliver the Connected Home Experience

Enhance multimedia capabilities and control through the Cisco Explorer 8600HDC DVR High-Definition Set-Top Series. This series helps enable whole home video, allowing consumers to share digital video recording (DVR) or user-generated, Internet-based video content across multiple set-tops or computers in the home.

The 8600 Series works in conjunction with our IP Services Gateways to extend medianet into the home and deliver the highest quality video to other consumer electronic devices. When the Cisco video network and next-generation devices come together, they create the opportunity to deliver unique experiences, as well as a wealth of new services.

#16 ·
in the case of the MOcA chip, would they need to put a filter on your incoming line like how the multi room DVR's in the usa have so it will share signal with your house's coax network but will restrict it from reaching the neighbourhood TAP or the BDU??

#17 ·
Anyone else notice that the bottom of the 8642 unit is really quite hot to the touch even in standby (OFF) mode? Should I be concerned? I just replaced the unit thinking it was a problem and had the same results..... Roger's was not much help in answering my questions............. Figures.

SpammyDavisJr.

#20 ·
We just got new firmware for the 8300HD. It has addressed many of the shortcomings of the 8300 and I have modified post 6. I will continue to modify as items become known.

Could someone check their 8642 to see if their shortcomings have been addressed? For example - Quick Start Guide, Visual Call Display, Pause/Frame Advance, Exit FF/REW bar? etc. (see post 6)

#22 ·
We just got new firmware for the 8300HD. It has addressed many of the shortcomings of the 8300 and I have modified post 6. I will continue to modify as items become known.
Item #3 for bookmarks and #12 for Described Video should also be deleted as a difference. They have been implemented in new SARA for the 8300HD.

I am betting that #13 for padding is also in effect, but it may take a week to confirm.

#23 ·
Call Display ?

So now that the 8300 has had a firmware update, can anyone explain why there are still differences in functionality - mainly my question is regarding the "call display" feature.

If a firmware update did not "kill" that function on the 8300, that means that there is something else in that box that makes it work:
OR
The firmware update only selectively changed/upgraded certain features.

I loved the call display feature (ch 975) and was upset that my shiny new 8642 did not support it. I just wonder when it ever "will".

#25 ·
hmm...which one...

The Roger's tech that was here to install my mom's rental said "make sure you by that one, not that one"...'that one will last longer, but that one will break down soon."

It was a couple rental boxes ago...wish I could remember which one that one was!

#26 ·
I went out of my way to get the new 8642, now it seems the old 8300 is better.
For me the most important features are the bookmark and the call-display. Both of which are on the 8300.

Anyone have any idea if the 8642 will ever be able to have the call display. Any other cable company have an 8642 with call display functioning/

#27 ·
A couple of other things I haven't seen mentioned in this thread:

- The 8642 has one 4 pin IEEE 1394 (aka firewire) port vs. 2 6 pin ports on the 8300
- According to Cisco docs the 8642 can decode MPEG-4 signals which future-proofs this box vs. the 8300 assuming that Rogers moves to MPEG-4 at some point in the future.

Is the MOCA enabled on these? If you had two of them could you connect one to your router/switch and connect the other to a PC via the ethernet ports?

#28 ·
i've noticed a difference. it is VERY specific so i may be the only one to ever encounter it, but thought i may as well share.

i stream itunes wirelessly to my receiver with an airport express. it is plugged into the same audio (optical) in as the hdmi from the 8642 (previously 8300).

what this does is allows me to listen to music while watching tv (by switching audio inputs with the receiver remote).

it used to be that if the pvr wasn't on (not sending an audio signal to the receiver) and i started to play music, it would automatically accept the only active audio input and i wouldn't have to change anything with the remote.

now it won't do that. even if the new 8642 is off, it must be sending some kind of detectable audio signal (even though there is no sound).

i'd love to find a way to get it back to the old way. before, if the girlfreind wanted to play music, she could just hit play (if the tv wasn't on).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.