Dvb-s2 + 8psk - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Free to Air Satellite Television

Old 2010-06-07, 11:16 AM   #1
Krydor

Default Dvb-s2 + 8psk

I'm getting ready to make the jump, and I've been looking for the best receiver that handles both. Anyone here with experience with a Viewsat Max HD and the add-on 8psk tuner card? Actually, anyone have any of the boxes with the ability to S2 & 8PSK?
Krydor is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-06-07, 01:27 PM   #2
gretzky

Quote:
I'm getting ready to make the jump, and I've been looking for the best receiver that handles both. Anyone here with experience with a Viewsat Max HD and the add-on 8psk tuner card? Actually, anyone have any of the boxes with the ability to S2 & 8PSK?
viewsat max HD add on module is turbo 8psk only so it doesn't work for standard 8psk
receivers that works with dvbs2 are

pansat 9200 with the green add on module done by pansat (green board not blue board blue board is turbo 8psk only)

Azbox premium HD or azbox premium HD plus (both are 4.2.2 video compatible but are buggy as hell they will be THE receivers of choice if the company can get the bugs out of code)

Solomend 800 HD PVR (new low budget receiver ...but promising)

Kbox K2 HD PVR
gretzky is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-06-07, 09:57 PM   #3
dtvinvictoria

I use the AZbox and the receiver does a good job of getting the NBC 8-PSK feeds. As gretzky mentioned though the receiver is pretty buggy and not recommended for beginners.
Old 2010-06-07, 10:27 PM   #4
Krydor

Well, I don't consider myself a beginner... I'm just interested in what does the best job for the best price. With football season coming up, I want to have the best chance at the most feeds.
Krydor is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-03, 01:10 AM   #5
lima20

Anyone has any other options on a true FTA receiver that does it all?
lima20 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-07-03, 07:42 AM   #6
gretzky

Quote:
Anyone has any other options on a true FTA receiver that does it all?
2 of my friends (one which is a retailer) tested the azbox ultra reicever
a watered down version of the premium
(the azbox premium and premium plus are full of bugs)
but apparently the azbox ultra is free of bugs
hardware blindscan working 4.2.2 compatible and 1080P
also the power supply doesnt break like the premium plus as it's not the same power supply)

also if you look for linux operated receiver the OPENBOX S9 HD PVR looks like a copycat of the dreambox dvbs2 compatible and all ...minus the price
Old 2010-07-03, 08:48 AM   #7
lima20

Thanks Gretzky...I'll give that a look.

I wonder how Danster is doing with his new box he ordered? A review is in order

Cheers
Old 2010-07-03, 08:52 AM   #8
Danster

I'm playing super daddy this past week and upcoming week. I'm babysitting my 4 nephews and nieces so I don't have much time to play with my sats. I plugged my coolsat micro pvr but haven't really not much experimenting.

The ox doesn't do blindscan and is mostly geared to piracy so setting up for true FTA will need a whole lot of experimenting.

Quite frankly, PANSAT sure make FTA friendly boxes.
Old 2010-07-03, 09:23 AM   #9
lima20

Danster....So the azbox ultra doesn't do blindscan and not recommended for true fta? How come you didn't get the pansat then and went for the coolsat instead

I wonder if anyone has tried the viewsat max HD? Just trying to find a unit that has a real blind scan function, and support DVB-S2 8PSK out of the box?
Old 2010-07-03, 01:59 PM   #10
gretzky

Quote:
Danster....So the azbox ultra doesn't do blindscan and not recommended for true fta?
i have a friend who bought the azbox ultra and use it for real fta and said to me that the blindscan is working(and the guy knows what he's talking about he have 6 c band dishes at home) but of course i cant verify since i don't have one i'm on a pansat 9200 with the green board add on for real fta

forget the viewsat maxhd for true fta
the viewsat add on module is only for turbo 8psk which is dish netwirk only (ie: piracy)
Old 2010-07-03, 02:20 PM   #11
lima20

Would it be cheaper for me to get the pansat you mentioned with the add-on module for my TRU FTA purposes, or get the azbox your friend has?

I have bought every other thing suggested on here for my ku/c band ( 1.2m dish, invacom lnbf, motor, conical cover ) all I need now is just a good receiver to give 4.2.2, DVB-S2, 8PSK, auto switching and blindscan

Any good online source in canada for the azbox?
Old 2010-07-03, 04:22 PM   #12
gretzky

definitely the azbox is cheaper to buy than the pansat because you have to buy the add on card too for the pansat which is about 150 $ more

i've asked again to my friend if the azbox ultra does blindscan he replied me that YES with the current firmware it does work fine
unfortunately there are no retailers in canada for the azbox brand as teh demand for real free to air receiver is very low sadly
take a look at your pm i will send you the ebay link for the azbox ultra straight from the us distributor
Old 2010-07-03, 07:05 PM   #13
lima20

Thanks for that, I'll take a look at it
Old 2010-07-03, 07:14 PM   #14
Danster

I don't have the azbox. I have the coolsat. There is a box coming out this summer or early fall that will be the FTA box of all boxes. That's what a dealer told me. He told me to wait for it as it will (should) be quite the box.
Old 2010-07-05, 10:52 AM   #15
lima20

So I pulled the trigger and purchased the azbox ultra HD for $249.

Hopefully it does everything I need it to do for true FTA

Thx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.