$900.13 roaming - iPhone was only left on in London - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers, Fido and Chatr Wireless

Old 2010-05-08, 10:53 AM   #16
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

Francois: you won't be able to put in another carrier's SIM card if the phone is locked to Rogers:

Arthur Dent: Are you sure about that? Maybe I'm mistaken but it's always telling me there are new app updates and I don't think I've been in the App Sore app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-05-08, 03:39 PM   #17
TorontoColin

Don't iPhones have push notifications for things like email, facebook, and app updates? If so, those would be using background data.

At that quantity of data however he must have been using the phone actively.
Old 2010-05-08, 06:56 PM   #18
Francois Caron
Veteran

Ah. The phone might be locked. Didn't think of that.
Old 2010-05-10, 02:47 PM   #19
outinthornhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
Don't iPhones have push notifications for things like email, facebook, and app updates? If so, those would be using background data.

At that quantity of data however he must have been using the phone actively.
Lots of apps have push notification. Any and/or all of them can probably be set to "off" but the "average" user might not know how to do that and it's not automatic. "Airplane mode" seems like a good way to go but the safest alernative is to turn off data entirely.
Old 2010-05-10, 03:03 PM   #20
Arthur Dent
Veteran

About the push notifications - some apps that support it usually turn it on on first use (just for the app). From what I know, you can turn all notifications off from the Settings menu. I've always had that to off (forgot when, but I had to do it, it wasn't off by default). Never received any AppStore, iTunes, or any other notifcation, therefore I assume no data has been used.
Prior to the introduction of the push notifications feature, I was monitoring the data usage when no apps were running, and it was zero for periods of more than 12 hours. I still think that if you have notifications off globally, no data will ever be used if you don't start any apps.
With Data Roaming off I did quite a lot of roaming around the world, never payed a cent for data usage.
Old 2010-05-11, 11:18 AM   #21
outinthornhill

That's reassuring to hear and confirms what I would expect. These phones are not evil devices, not are the carriers, in all probability. BUT, they (the phones) are complex devices and users need to familiarize themselves with how they work. Maybe we got lazy with phones we could just take out of the box and use. Smartphones take more effort and people really should check all the settings so they know to, and how to, disable certain things depending upon their location. I was a bit surprised to see how many push Apps were activated on my iPod Touch (which is fine, since they all connect via WIFI) that potentially would consume a lot of data were I not to edit the list when I upgrade to an iPhone. Lesson learned.
Old 2010-05-12, 08:34 PM   #22
OldTivoUser

That seems crazy. I've spent many weeks in San Francisco and have my phone on all the time. I have the US 10$ a month roaming, but I've never used that much. In fact, in the last 2 and a half weeks I've only got 8MBs up and 25MBs down and I do a lot of email on this thing...

I think the user downloaded something, or there's an issue.
Old 2010-05-12, 09:59 PM   #23
DeValera
Rookie

Default Thanks everyone, valuable comments all

Rogers agreed to set his account as if he'd prepurchased enough megs. Will still be high but cuts the "loss" by half.

We'll get our guys to use Airplane Mode - as there is lots of wifi nearby in our travels.

We were each in the States for four days last week (prepaid for 75 megs on the Travel Pak $60) and used 47 megs (me) and 53 megs. Certainly not a heavy email time nor do any of us send photos or have Facebook etc. Perhaps we will add another email address for internal use and only get the other mails from the lap or desktop later.

Another option is to ask them to cap our account and react as the cautions come in. We will spend some time thinking that perhaps we should use Blackberries instead and pass the iPhone off to the kids.

Once again - thanks for the comments and suggestions. DV
Old 2010-05-13, 10:25 AM   #24
Arthur Dent
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValera View Post
We'll get our guys to use Airplane Mode - as there is lots of wifi nearby in our travels.
You can't use any data in Airplane mode, wifi is also off. You need to have Data Roaming to off so that you can use wifi only and not cellular.
Old 2010-05-13, 12:07 PM   #25
dcomp11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
You can't use any data in Airplane mode, wifi is also off. You need to have Data Roaming to off so that you can use wifi only and not cellular.
You can use WiFi and Bluetooth in Airplane Mode on the iPhone
Old 2010-05-13, 12:57 PM   #26
Arthur Dent
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcomp11 View Post
You can use WiFi and Bluetooth in Airplane Mode on the iPhone
Uh... no! No Wifi in Airplane mode!
I can't believe we are having this conversation.
Old 2010-05-13, 01:00 PM   #27
notsure
Veteran

You are both right.
Old 2010-05-13, 01:03 PM   #28
Arthur Dent
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
You are both right.
Haha, there was a point in this conversation, after all!
Old 2010-05-13, 03:42 PM   #29
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

Yeah, I do it all the time when travelling (like I said). On both the iPhone and Android: when you first put it into airplane mode WiFi is off. But like the Apple doc says, you then just go and enable Wifi and it works fine.