Panasonic Plasma Broken :( TO Parts suppliers? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: High Definition Television including LCD and Plasma

Old 2010-04-15, 06:20 PM   #1
redzone

Default Panasonic Plasma Broken :( TO Parts suppliers?

Hello,

I have a 2 year old Panasonic TH-42PX75u that decided not to turn on last night.

Its giving me the wonderful 7 red light blink of death similar to many others in the avsforums.

So this means its ether the SC,SU or SD boards.

I plan to mess with it tonight to figure out which one it is. ( as the local tv repair man wants 150 to look at it....150 to plug / unplug stuff? what a joke..)

I downloaded the service manual and it doesn't look too hard (and with the advise on avs )to diagnose on your own so i plan to try and fix it myself.

sooo does anyone know where i can buy parts localy for my tv? or even online would help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-04-16, 09:49 PM   #2
redzone

well i bought the part off ebay. hopefully it works!
Old 2010-04-22, 12:49 PM   #3
redzone

UPDATE

Well i got the part and it didnt work. Same flash code so the part they sent was most likly bad. there sending me another one free so will try again in a week! If that part doesnt work not sure what i will do.

I found a local shop that will diagnos it for 50 bucks. so if it doesnt work i will bring it to them i guess.
Old 2010-04-29, 10:11 PM   #4
redzone

well gotta love the local shop... I brought it into them . They told me they could fix it for 275 but wouldnt tell me what the problem was~! So i ask then why did you want 50 for a diagnostic. He says "thats to tell if they can fix it not to tell you what is wrong with it:

Well after 45 minutes of me and my helpful friend arguing with him we finally agree to pay $75 for him to tell us whats wrong. He tells me its the D board and that you must replace the A board at the same time. Everything i have read in the manuals doesnt say you need to replace the A board but when he told me he didnt seem like he was lieing. So not sure what to do.

D board is 60
A board is 120

decisions decisions

So to all out there if you don't want to accept the 275 to 350 repair bill DO NOT shop at Duke Electronics in the GTA
Old 2010-05-01, 02:45 AM   #5
jumpy27
Veteran

$95 profit on the first estimate is not a lot of money to bring in 2 boards worth $180. What if Duke installs the two boards and there is still something else wrong? If that happens now Duke is stuck with two boards he may never use. There is always a small risk when replacing boards in Plasmas and LCDs, that you will need to replace more than one board, or that the panel is bad as well--making the repair not worth it and the shop has to eat the cost of the boards. He has to charge something or else he won't be in business very long. It sounds like a fair price to me.
Old 2010-05-01, 11:19 AM   #6
redzone

the simple fact was that he was going to charge 50 dollars just to look at it and NOT tell me whats wrong with it. plain and simple that is crooked.

I have no problem with a diagnostic fee but what I cant stand is the fact that he refused to tell me what is wrong with it yet STILL wanted the 50 bucks. The fact that i had to go back in there and argue for 30+ minutes is not acceptable.

If you bring your car in to get looked at do they not tell you whats wrong with it or just say "yes i can fix it. but i wont tell you what is wrong till you pay the 1000 to do the work" How did I know it wasn't a blown fuse or a $5 Ribbon?
Old 2010-05-01, 01:05 PM   #7

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Most service centers charge a certain fee assuming that you're going to leave the TV there for repair. If that's not the intention, then the fee could be different for a diagnosis only. For example, they may charge $50 in front of an assumed repair or $100 for a diagnosis only. Some places may charge $75 "either way".

The assumption of "future business" was factored into his $50 fee and perhaps that should have been made clear by both parties.
Old 2010-05-01, 01:34 PM   #8
redzone

exactly I was left with the impression he would tell me what was wrong with it for the 50 dollar fee.

All that was needed was honesty up front. Which i was not given
Old 2010-05-12, 08:02 AM   #9
redzone

Default FIXED YAY

So I decided to not listen to the guy from DUKE ELECTRONICS as I just didnt trust him and ordered only the D board instead of both the A and D board(what he said i needed to do)

I did this based off a post i saw on justanswers.com that said if the SC board replacement did not work it was the D board.

and low and behold it worked!!!!!!!!!!!! Finaly i can play GoW3 (which i bought just before the tv broke lol)

So the total cost to repair was

$100 for SC board( which i now need to sell)
$83 for "diagnosis"
$55 for D Board (fixed the problem!)

Total $238 of which I hope to get at least $50 back for selling the SC board.

So if anyone ends up with a Panasonic Plasma with a flashing red light it may be worth it to try and fix it yourself IF your willing to risk it not working after spending a bit of money.