CRTC tax could mean $100 million hike in cable/sat tv rates - Page 30 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-23, 11:16 AM   #436
classicsat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
Maybe we're simply overdue for a culling of television channels, both cable and OTA. We've arrived at a point where there are simply way more television channels than the market can bear, especially during a recession. If we were to lose, say, 25% of our Canadian television channels, that would mean the remaining 75% would have a much better chance of surviving, and possibly thriving.
It's not that the market can bear them (which could be true), it is that there is only so much content created, and what there is, is spread in too many places for my comfort, with CWG/AA the worst for doing that.
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-03-23, 11:24 AM   #437
Jase88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
How does it benefit Canadians when they bid for these US shows? Almost all Canadians can get these shows from US networks via BDUs or US OTA stations. The only folks that see a benefit are those that only have access to Canadian OTA from commercial networks such as CTV and Global - and the other folks that benefit are those that work for CTV and Global.

Would most Canadians really even care if CTV and Global went off the air today? I doubt it - sure there would be less local news but is it worth keeping these networks alive for local news?

Regarding the UK OTA fees - the situation in Canada is very different than the UK for a couple of reasons. First off, a very large majority of Canadians use BDUs rather than OTA. Secondly, many (most?) Canadians who use OTA can get US stations and the most desirable programming on Canadian stations comes from these US stations. Therefore there is very little to be gained by paying for Canadian commercial networks - CBC is a bit different since they don't rebroadcast US shows.
When a conventional TV station or network buys US programming, they're buying the broadcast rights to that programming in Canada. In turn, BDU's are then carrying the conventional stations for free.

Should conventional stations fail, BDU's can't simply carry US programming without buying the rights to broadcast that programming....

And indeed, CBC does carry some US programming. I see US movies; Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, etc.
Old 2010-03-23, 11:31 AM   #438
Jase88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
Maybe we're simply overdue for a culling of television channels, both cable and OTA. We've arrived at a point where there are simply way more television channels than the market can bear, especially during a recession. If we were to lose, say, 25% of our Canadian television channels, that would mean the remaining 75% would have a much better chance of surviving, and possibly thriving.
My feeling is that the CRTC should never have allowed the proliferation of channels in the first place. But now that we have so many, you're right: There should be a thinning of the dial.

Channel proliferation has created two issues: (1) Diluted advertising revenue; and (2) diluted programming quality due to smaller budgets. There's only so much production budget available in the industry. When you create more viewing choice, you dilute your audience...and budgets are adjusted accordingly. Add competition from the internet and other forms of entertainment, and the issues are exacerbated.
Old 2010-03-23, 11:39 AM   #439
JamesK
Veteran

I have sent the following to Rogers' Office of the President.

Quote:
Dear Sir.

As has been covered recently in the news, the broadcasters are trying to get cable and satellite subscribers to pay an additional fee to receive their signals, even though those same signals are available at no charge over the air. In general, I find the majority of the shows on the Canadian broadcast channels to be not worth watching. Other than news, there is very little that I watch on the broadcast channels, other than PBS (an American broadcaster). Therefore, should the broadcasters get their wish and place fees on receiving their signal via cable, then I demand the option to delete those stations from my cable package. I do not need those broadcasters and I do not wish to pay for them.
JamesK is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-03-23, 11:43 AM   #440
Jase88

You won't get anywhere making such demands of BDU's, as the conventional stations are must-carry stations in the regulated basic package. The BDU's have no choice but to carry them. You can't opt out.
Old 2010-03-23, 12:18 PM   #441
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^
As I understand it, must carry will disappear, should the broadcasters opt for VFS.
JamesK is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-03-23, 12:35 PM   #442
hugh
Member #1

This thread is about LIPF not fee-for-carriage.

I am closing since no one is discussing LIPF
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.