CTV BC News Going HDTV Soon! - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-11-27, 06:39 PM   #61
mjjl

Interestingly they do mention OTA reception on their website, although that does a lot of good for a lot of viewers who live outside the tiny coverage area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-11-28, 03:43 PM   #62
reidw
Veteran

Global Toronto (their flagship) hasn't switched yet so I think you've got a wait.
Old 2009-11-28, 04:01 PM   #63
atong

With the amount of financial trouble Canwest is in, I don't think we're going to see upgrading to HD in a while...

I'm really enjoying CTV news in HD, those HD timelapses of weather are great, and the HD view on top of the Shangri-La will be fantastic in the summer when its not already dark by 6pm.
Old 2009-11-28, 10:51 PM   #64
tofinoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
Global Toronto (their flagship) hasn't switched yet so I think you've got a wait.
What gave you the impression that Global Toronto is the "flagship"?
Global BC is number one for news in BC whereas CTV News is tops in Toronto.
One would think that they'd want to not encourage people to switch to CTV in BC given that CTV is now HD. It seems logical that they would therefore do Vancouver first.
Old 2009-11-29, 07:59 AM   #65
JamesK
Veteran

"Flagship" generally refers to where the network has it's principal station, not necessarily where they have the greatest market share. Typically, they'd have it in Toronto, as that's where their largest audience is.
Old 2009-11-29, 10:05 AM   #66
reidw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
"Flagship" generally refers to where the network has it's principal station, not necessarily where they have the greatest market share. Typically, they'd have it in Toronto, as that's where their largest audience is.
Thanks for the clarification jamesK. I guess I should have said "headquarters".
Old 2009-11-29, 01:39 PM   #67
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Global TV is not the topic here, but just to end that conversation Global does all its distribution from its Calgary Operations Centre, which has been tricked out to provide HD programming across their network over fibre optic cable. As HD and DTV broadcast gear gets installed at stations on the network, the OC is already prepared. From a marketing perspective the choice of which stations to bring up to date is another matter entirely.

Back to CTV Vancouver please.