Picture Jumps When Switching SD to HD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV: HD PVR Discussion

Old 2009-11-07, 10:06 AM   #1
Ex_Brit

Question Picture Jumps When Switching SD to HD

I'm posting this here rather than in the HDTV discussion as it appears to be a Rogers/Sci Atl 8300HD issue and possibly some recent software update that has caused this, or Rogers are compressing signals to such an impossible amount that it's starting to show.

This started about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I at first thought that it was my TV at fault but my bedroom TV does exactly the same thing - different TV same kind of box but both connected via HDMI.

When I switch from an SD channel to an HD channel sometimes the picture will start jumping and is cured only by switching back to SD for a while and returning to HD.

Bad software update from Rogers or what?

I've checked signal strength on both boxes and nothing is in the red.

As I said, it's intermittent. Anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-11-07, 10:11 AM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

People can experience this is they have a poor connection between the PVR and the TV, or when using HDMI, as discussed in the following HDMI Issues FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

You don't say what make(s)/model(s) your TVs are, but if you don't need to stretch the SD channels with the TV (for plasmas for example to avoid burn in), then I'd suggest that you set the PVR to output 1080i only and the problem should disappear. (I assume that you have 480i/p enabled in the advanced setup wizard).

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719
Old 2009-11-07, 10:39 AM   #3
Ex_Brit

I see I have a good deal of reading to do. My TV is a Philips 47PFL5704D/F7 LCD and the other is (can't check as roomie is asleep) I think Panasonic Viera LCD 42" fairly recent model.

Both boxes have all formats setup from 480i to 1080p as the TV's accept all formats.

On the TV's themselves:

We do use superzoom or whatever they call it on SD channels to fill the wide screen.

On HD I use Unscaled or Auto, not sure what he uses.

I'll read those links and try fiddling around with the settings you recommend.
Old 2009-11-07, 11:49 AM   #4

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Since they are both LCDs, I suggest you watch 4:3 as 4:3 and 16:9 as 16:9. In this way you won't have any distortion and you'll have the best picture quality. You could try setting the PVR to 1080i - Fixed instead of Auto-DVI/HDMI and that should solve the problem.

If you want the SD channels stretched (distorted and lower PQ), then you cannot do this as the TV will not be able to distinguish between SD and HD if you set the PVR to 1080i fixed.

The following post may also be useful:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2009-11-07, 11:53 AM   #5
Ex_Brit

Thanks a lot for your help as always.
Old 2009-11-14, 09:14 AM   #6
Paolo
Veteran

what i would really like Cisco to do is make some setting in the box to adjust the picture size/stretch/zoom mode for each specific output resolution.

480i/480p - Normal -> Horizontal Stretch -> Vertical Stretch -> Zoom
720p/1080i - Normal -> Horizontal Stretch -> Vertical Stretch -> Zoom

that way you can use the box to upconvert your broadcasts to a resolution native to your tv and avoid the tv changing modes and doing all the stretching.

Tags
hdtv, jumping, picture, rogers