MTS Modems? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > MTS

Old 2008-04-13, 09:58 AM   #1
Mozza

Default MTS Modems?

Howdy,

Just looking for info as to what modems MTS uses for their service. I used to have MTS TV, which of course used the big blue TV modem, but now I'm stuck with what looks to be a very used SpeedStream. I'm wondering if I can fandangle a better one of them?
Old 2008-04-13, 11:13 AM   #2
jwt873

MTS managed to extend DSL out to my place in the country just under 2 years ago. They sent me a Speedstream 5360 modem. It works great. I get the throughput that my 'Lightning' account is supposed to provide.
Old 2008-04-13, 12:35 PM   #3
gordon1111

my mts modem is included in the mts tv box. I dont think they have any other modems besides the speedstream modems. thankyou
Old 2008-05-27, 09:02 PM   #4
Joebob38
Rookie

Arrow

MTS has several modems deployed in Manitoba currently.

If you're an MTStv customer your modem is integrated into your MTStv set top box, these boxes cannot be exchanged in person and can only be exchanged by a technician appointment if there is a problem with the device itself, there is no difference in internet speeds between the original RG2200 (blue front) and the current RG2400 (black front /w time).

If you don't have MTStv, but subscribe to MTS High Speed Internet you could have one of the following modems:

Speedstream 4200
Speedstream 5200 (bridged only)
Speedstream 5260 (bridged only)
Speedstream 5360 (bridged only)

In some Rural or Northern communities, you may be on the Nortel platform in which case there is only the one modem in use. The modems listed above can be exchanged at an MTS connect store.

If you have MTS Home Networking, you will have one of the following gateways, these gateways cannot be exchanged in person, and like the TV boxes can only be swapped by a technician appointment if the equipment is faulty.

Home Networking Gateways:
Siemens SE567
Speedstream 6300
Speedstream 6520
Old 2008-05-27, 09:49 PM   #5
Chumley

Hi, jwt873 !

I'm 1 mile north of Balmoral, and we started our DSL service about 2 years ago too. My modem is a SpeedStream 4200.

Do you remember "dial-up"? Wasn't it brutal? We almost moved backed to Winnipeg after 13 years out here in the country!!
Old 2008-05-28, 10:47 AM   #6
jwt873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumley
Do you remember "dial-up"? Wasn't it brutal? We almost moved backed to Winnipeg after 13 years out here in the country!!
I had the Shaw Xtreme cable package when I lived in Winnipeg... I moved to the country 5 years ago and the switch from 10 MB/s to dial up was extremely painful.

Fortunately I only had to put up with it for a little over a year.

Tags
mts internet