Panasonic PT-56LCX70 and PT-61LCZ70 LiFi HDTV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: Front and Rear Projection Screens and Televisions

Old 2007-03-29, 04:30 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Panasonic PT-56LCX70 and PT-61LCZ70 LiFi HDTV

Panasonic Canada today announced a new line of High Definition LCD Micro Display televisions featuring Luxim’s revolutionary long-life LIFI™, a first-of-its kind light fidelity projection display application that ensures image brightness over an extended period of time; as well as contributing to a greatly reduced start-up time.

The Panasonic LIFI High Definition line will be comprised of two series – the LCZ and LCX. Each will have a new floating panel design. The PT-61LCZ70 features 1080p resolution and an elegant glossy black finish. The PT-56LCX70 provides 720p resolution.

Pricing and Availability

PT-56LCX70 - April 2007 - MSRP TBA
PT-61LCZ70 - May 2007 - MSRP TBA
Old 2007-03-29, 04:31 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

By converting HID (High Intensity Discharge) lamps to LIFI, the models experience an especially long life span with brightness that will never fade, eliminating the need for lamp replacement. When the electrodes in HID lamps deteriorate and the tungsten evaporates, it causes diminished brightness and damages the lamp itself. The light source in the Panasonic LIFI HDTV does not use electrodes, resulting in more stable performance and a longer lifespan. Additionally, Panasonic’s LIFI technology projects a wider spectrum of light, allowing for the most radiant reds, greens and natural skin tones.

The start-up time for a Panasonic LIFI HDTV is a fraction of the time it takes for a traditional LCD projection set. This is because the light source does not use electrodes, and the LIFI bulb is 1/8 the size of that found in an HID lamp, so the temperature rises more rapidly, enabling a faster start-up. The actual time from the moment the set is turned on until there is a picture is now reduced from 60 seconds or more to approximately 10 seconds.

With a longer lifetime, the LIFI HDTV series offers the same performance as an LED model, but at a lower price point. The LIFI lamp generates less scintillation noise than traditional HID lamps, and the invisible speakers marry impeccable design with high-quality sound. Using the device’s remote control, users can easily enjoy EZ Sync™-enabled products, such as Blu-ray players.

Additional features of the LCX70 model include:

• LIFI Light Source
• New 0.69-inch 720p LCD Panel
• All Black Cosmetics
• 3,000:1 Contrast Ratio (Target)
• 400cd/m2 Brightness (50-inch Target)
• Full Range Speaker System (20W output)
• HDMI (Front 1, Rear 2)
• PC Input
• SD Card Slot
• EZ Sync™

Additional features of the LCZ70 model include:

• LIFI Light Source
• New 0.74-inch 1080p LCD Panel
• Piano Black Cosmetic
• 3,000:1 Contrast Ratio (Target)
• 400cd/m2 Brightness (50-inch Target)
• Full Range Speaker System (20W output)
• HDMI (Front 1, Rear 2)
• PC Input
• SD Card Slot
• EZ Sync™
Old 2007-03-30, 10:01 AM   #3
JohnnyG
Veteran

I imagine these sets still generate a bunch of heat, requiring a cooling fan. That's still a drawback versus LED, but it's a huge step forward from regular lamps.
Old 2007-03-30, 10:30 AM   #4
mrhooie

from the look of the bulb housing I'd say there's some heat. It looks like one big heatsink
Old 2007-04-15, 02:47 PM   #5
cicero

Hi All!

Sunday morning, kids doing homework, which gives me time to google things on my laptop. As such, came across info. from some time back regarding the Panasonic LIFI RPTV's. I've put a link below. The interesting thing here by far is that, at least according to the article, and I quote "Panasonic back the long life claim with a 5-year warranty on the lamp."

A piece of mind issue for people. At least it seems that Panasonic is willing to back up their long life claim for their LIFI bulbs.

cicero

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...nk&cd=11&gl=ca
Old 2007-04-18, 06:44 PM   #6
cicero

Hi All!

Panasonic USA has the PT-56LCX70 LiFi RPTV on their web site now. It doesn't have a complete list of specs and info yet. Interestingly, according to the info. at the bottom of the link, looks like they will be bundling the PT-56LCX70 with a stand.

cicero

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...00000000005702

Last edited by cicero; 2007-04-18 at 06:50 PM.
Old 2009-10-24, 08:47 PM   #7
pauly1
Rookie

Default Long life lamp. Are they kidding?

Panasonic says these lamps are long lasting. It's a good thing they warrant them for 5 years. My 56 in lifi is going in for its 4th lamp in 2 years. 1st one went when set was less than 2 months old, 2nd less than 2 years later and the 3rd went 7 days after being installed. I've written to Panasonic with NO results. When the tv comes back from the shop with its 4th lamp I'm getting rid of it because I just bought a plasma.
Old 2012-12-10, 09:14 PM   #8
simmy
Rookie

My PT-61LCZ70 just quit on the weekend. The red light on the front is blinking twice. Everything I've read suggests the bulb is gone. I've not read of anyone replacing the bulb themselves. Tonight I removed the small panel covering the fan, removed the fan and I can put my fingers on the bulb component but the bracket holding the fan is still in the way. I've found a replacement bulb on e-bay for $249. How can I change it?

I forgot to mention, the date of mfr is Jan.2008 which means the bulb is within the 5 year warranty but unfortunately I'm not the original purchaser.
Old 2014-05-20, 08:18 AM   #9
billhiggs
Rookie

I have a panasonic pt-61lcx70-k which has been a great tv, over the years I haave learn how to rmove the top for lens and screen cleansing as well as accessing the fans and heatsinks for cleaning
a couple of weeks ago it was doing the red shut down on its own which usually means if wants the fans cleaned, which I did and all was well
but as of yesterday it would do the green flashing start up sequence like normal and get a pic, then it would start th green flashing start up all over again, sorta like an endless loop
so I unplugged it for a few minutes and when I tried again it started the green flashing start up sequence but the lamp did not turn on, tried it a few times with no success, so I unplugged and went looking on the internet and came across your ad and went and plugged it in and trid it again, and it started up and ran all night without problem

does this sound like a lamp issue to you??
Old 2014-05-20, 09:59 AM   #10

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

When you get the problem, do the flashing codes correspond to anything on page 61 of the operating manual?

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER.../PT50LCZ70.pdf Direct Link

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model...s&support#tabs Panasonic link.

Here's a list of things to check. Unplug everything from the TV and unplug the TV overnight.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19694
Old 2014-05-20, 10:03 AM   #11
billhiggs
Rookie

thats just it, I am not getting any flashing error codes
when it has the problem the green light just blinks like a normal start up and never stops unles I turn the tv off and there is no error given
Old 2014-05-20, 02:47 PM   #12
billhiggs
Rookie

just curious do these lamps give full brightness to the day they die or do they diminish in brightness over time?
Old 2014-05-20, 03:02 PM   #13

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Diminish over time. Often people will replace them even though they're working just go get that "like new" picture. They then keep the used lamp as an emergency spare.
Old 2014-05-20, 03:15 PM   #14
billhiggs
Rookie

thanks, tv has worked perfectly all day today, but considering the tv is exactly 6 years old and with about 5 hours of use per day, I think it deserves a new bulb, considering they are pretty cheap on ebay and easy to install
and if the tv dies I am not really out much
Old 2014-05-28, 06:43 PM   #15
01 Boxer

I'm having a weird problem. A dozen minutes after turning on the tv for the first time of the day, the screen goes black and the green power light flashes. 30 seconds later, the image comes back on and the tv is fine for the rest of the day. Any ideas?