NFL Football on Global - Simsubs in 2007 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On In Sports?

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-03, 10:15 AM   #1
farfromover

Location: Calgary,Yamaha RX-V559, Panasonic 50PX600U, Infinity Speakers, PS2 w/300GB HD, DCT 6412, Harmony 880
Default NFL Football on Global - Simsubs in 2007

Anyone have the times, and HD channels that these games will be broadcast on Saturday and Sunday? I'm assuming FoxHD and/or ABCHD will have the games. I didn't see anything for TSNHD.
Old 2007-01-03, 10:25 AM   #2
james99

1/6/2007 NFL Wildcard Weekend -- Kansas City Chiefs vs. Indianapolis Colts 4:30 PM NBC (1080i)
1/6/2007 NFL Wildcard Weekend -- Dallas Cowboys vs. Seattle Seahawks 8:00 PM NBC (1080i)
1/7/2007 NFL Wildcard Weekend -- N.Y. Jets vs. New England Patriots 1:00 PM CBS (1080i)
1/7/2007 NFL Wildcard Weekend -- N.Y. Giants vs. Philadelphia Eagles 4:30 PM FOX (720p)
Old 2007-01-03, 10:37 AM   #3
hugh
Member #1

Frankly who cares about TSNHD when you can watch on the U.S. Networks!
Old 2007-01-03, 02:02 PM   #4
kirjtc2

The games are all on Global instead of TSN anyway...but it's always better direct from the source.
Old 2007-01-03, 02:23 PM   #5
james99

Which leads to the question about sim-subbing.
Old 2007-01-03, 03:04 PM   #6
farfromover

Location: Calgary,Yamaha RX-V559, Panasonic 50PX600U, Infinity Speakers, PS2 w/300GB HD, DCT 6412, Harmony 880

I agree, who cares about TSNHD when you can get the direct broadcast. I just mentioned that I didn't see them carrying it.

Will these be sim-subbed?? I hope not.
Old 2007-01-06, 06:54 PM   #7
tomm4004

Default NFL - Global is missing parts of plays

Has anyone noticed that Global is often coming back from commercial in the middle of plays in the Colts/Chiefs game? Indy just scored a TD and Global only showed it from the middle of the play - after the ball was in the air. They also showed a FG earlier when the ball was in midair. After the ads, they come back and show another ad superimposed on the jumbo screen in the stadium. But they are not cutting away quickly enough to catch the beginning of the play. Whose responsibility is this? It's very irritating for viewers.
Old 2007-01-06, 07:22 PM   #8
thegman

Yep, I mentioned it in the HD thread, that the global coverage has been very weak, coming into plays midplay in several occassions.
Old 2007-01-06, 08:12 PM   #9
jimmyl

This has been happening for as long as I have been watching football on Canadian stations. I watch US feeds as much as I possibly can for this reason alone. The problem is that the Canadian channels play short promos of their upcoming shows (NEWS, etc) and it eats into the football game feed.

j
Old 2007-01-06, 08:20 PM   #10
Nuje
Veteran

Nice that they switched off the simsub partway through the second quarter; however, the 'hawks v. Cowboys game is a Global f***-ed feed again .

While I was sitting here fuming over missing the plays when Global was coming back from commercial, I wrote this little note to Sirius (the company whose ads were cutting into the game).

I encourage anyone similarly pissed with this treatment to do likewise to whichever company is advertising.....Global will listen to the upset advertisers a lot more than they will to us.

Quote:
Dear Sirius Satellite Radio:

Due to the placement of your ads on Canwest Global's broadcast feed of the first NFL playoff game of 2007, the first score of the game was "joined in progress". And every commercial break thereafter in the first quarter also had a Sirius ad that ran over some of the NBC feed of the game.

For this reason, and this reason only, I will never buy a Sirius satellite product, or subscribe to your service. The only thing that would possibly get me to own one of your products would be if I was given a lifetime subscription.

And trust me: I'm not the only one who's in my demographic and feels this way! YOU have to tell Global to quit butchering the programs that they simsub. Or drop the whole simsub and give me the opportunity to watch the game from the host broadcaster, not Globals butchered iteration.

I've complained to them before, but it only gets worse. You're paying good money for advertising, and I'm telling you that your advertising is working 100% against you with this potential (and probable) customer who is such no longer.

Kindest regards,
Me
Dual-income household, no kids, mortgage paid off....spending 15 hours a week in my car, looking for something to listen to.......
Quick edit: first commercial break in the game, and we're back to NBC Seattle. Who knew my bitching sitting here on the couch could have such instantaneous results?
Old 2007-01-06, 08:47 PM   #11
rimgrund

I think the worst part is the Dolby Digital 5.1 found on Global throughout both this game, and the earlier afternoon game. They are RUINING 5.1 surround sound.

I can only tolerate watching this game on NBC Seattle.
Old 2007-01-06, 10:23 PM   #12
tomm4004

They just missed an entire play in the Dallas/Seattle game. I RW on my PVR to make sure I hadn't missed it. Seattle punted and they went to commercial. When Global came back it was 2nd and 9 for Dallas. They didn't run their video corporate logo this time. They just came back from an ad right into the middle of Al Michaels talking about T.O.
Old 2007-01-15, 05:05 PM   #13
HDMark

As I've mentioned in a previous thread, I don't so much have a problem with them sim subbing.... I'm sick of all the ET Canada promos, but my bigger problem is with sound & picture quality. They simply do not have the pq / sq that CBS in particular has.

Yesterday watching the Hawks/ Bears at a friends house with Starchoice, the Fox HD feed was not sim subbed.

Why is it that BEV feels the need to cave to Global's "request" while Starchoice & Shaw don't (I know that Shaw doesn't have Global HD in Calgary)
Old 2007-01-15, 06:17 PM   #14
joselacruz

Default starchoice hd

The reason for starchoice is the same as shaw cable reason in previous post. No global Hd on starchoice. I spent the Sunday Nfl divisional playoff games in a Sports Bar in Hamilton with Starchoice Hd and it was awesome to see the quality of picture, but also a crowd of 100+ laughing and enjoying the commercials. Long Live starchoice Hd
Old 2007-01-08, 06:00 PM   #15
HDMark

Default Petition Against Simsubbing for Super Bowl

Hi, I'm not sure if somebody has started or not yet, but after watching yesterday's partial simsub of the NFC playoff game between Philly and the Giants, I thought we should start and online petition against simsubbing the Super Bowl.

I know that it's Global's choice whether or not they want to or not, however, don't they have to provide the same level of service and programming as the originating station??

Yesterday's Global / NFC Wildcard game simsub included poor pq, and not very poor 5.1 sound. Add that to the fact that their Global Bug was in an incredibly bad place for an HD feed.

Then a few minutes after thinking I should write this post yesterday, BEV switched back to the Fox feed.

I know what's coming however, for the big game, and was wondering if it's worth starting an online petition to have the originating feed of the Super Bowl.

It's not so much that I'm missing the American commercials, but I'm paying a big premium compared to Shaw for this HD service, and then to have a crap simsub like Global, it's not right.

As far as I know, Shaw HD subscribers do not have their super bowl simsubbed in Calgary because there's no Global HD here.

My 2 cents....
Closed Thread