ATSC DVR & PVR Recorders (other than CM) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2007-01-16, 07:12 PM   #1
electrocutioner

Lightbulb ATSC DVR & PVR Recorders (other than CM)

I was wondering if anyone with a built in OTA tuner is able to record HD broadcasts using a regular dvd recorder? Or do I need to buy something with a Hard drive?

I imagine the TV will have to be turned on and tuned into the channel I want to record as well since the tuner is built in? I work swing shifts and might have to quit my job now that I am missing all these wonderful high-def broadcasts!

Somebody help me!

Last edited by stampeder; 2007-01-17 at 03:54 PM. Reason: New thread from old posts - see post #3 for introduction
Old 2007-01-17, 01:32 PM   #2
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrocutioner
I was wondering if anyone with a built in OTA tuner is able to record HD broadcasts using a regular dvd recorder?
The short answer is no.

There are several issues here. First of all most TVs don't have any type of video output connecter. Secondly, unless you have and HD-DVD or Blueray DVD recorder you cannot record in HD (it is theoretically possible to record HD programs on a standard DVD, but I only know of one DVD player that will play this type of DVD and you will probably get less than an hour of programming per disk).

Apparently come February all video recorders (DVD, VHS or HDD) sold in the US will be required to have an ATSC tuner, but I don't know of any DVD recorders on the market yet that have one (there are a couple HD HDD recorders and an HD VCR that have them). Even if they do magically appear on the market, I am sure many (all?) will down convert the signal to SD

Is there a thread for talking about set top OTA HD recorders?
Old 2007-01-17, 01:38 PM   #3
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Is there a thread for talking about set top OTA HD recorders?
There is now, Roger!

This thread is for discussing STBs (Set Top Boxes) that can record Digital OTA programming via ATSC.

At present (January 2007) these are the options:
  • LG used to market an ATSC DVR that might still be available - discussed in this thread
  • similar ATSC DVR/PVR products are discussed in this thread
  • feeding a conventional DVR from an ATSC STB (down-converts 1080i or 720p to 480p) - discussed in this thread
  • the OTA tuner built into some types of satellite receivers - covered in other threads so not discussed in this thread
  • HTPC (Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux on PC) - covered in other threads so not discussed in this thread
  • Tivo 3's ATSC PVR capability - covered in its own Tivo thread so not discussed in this thread

Last edited by stampeder; 2007-01-23 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Added Tivo 3 to list on 99gecko's info
Old 2007-01-17, 02:45 PM   #4
rpr

I am currently recording OTA broadcasts using a Silicon Dust HD HomeRun device, and my Linux based MythTV PVR system. Works fantastic!

Tom
Old 2007-01-17, 03:51 PM   #5
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Thanks for the info, rpr

I've changed the topic of this thread so that we don't cover the same things covered in HTPC threads here at DHC.
Old 2007-01-22, 11:28 AM   #6
WoodButcher

Default Toshiba D-VR650 DVD Recorder Coming Soon With ATSC

Did anyone see anything in the CES coverage about these video recorders? On the Toshiba press release I found the following:
Quote:
Toshiba's entry level D-R400 single deck DVD recorder offers HDMI with upconversion to 720p, 1080i and 1080p. It also offers one touch recording and a DV input. The step-up model, the D-R550, adds ATSC, QAM and NTSC tuners.

The top of the line Toshiba D-VR650 Super Multi Drive DVD recorder + VCR combination unit offers ATSC, QAM and NTSC tuners and HDMI with upconversion to 720p and 1080i.
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/news/new...asp?newsid=133

So at least one vendor is planing on releasing DVD recorders with ATSC tuners soon.

Last edited by WoodButcher; 2007-01-22 at 11:37 AM.
Old 2007-01-22, 08:21 PM   #7
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Default New RCA and Samsung DVD Recorder ATSC STBs Coming

I found press releases for 3 more DVD Recorders with ATSC tuners. One from RCA (who have also announced an ATSC tuner for old analog TVs) and two from Samsung. They are all going to be in the $250-$320 US range and will be available in the middle of 2007.

Edit: I also found Panasonic's press release. It looks like all of their DVD recorders in 2007 will have digital tuners (other brands entry level machines seem to lack any tuner).

I should also note that all of these DVD recorders seem to record in either EDTV or SDTV but not HDTV.

Last edited by roger1818; 2007-01-22 at 08:55 PM.
Old 2007-01-22, 10:20 PM   #8
WoodButcher

Will they pass through HD from the tuner to the TV?

Many of them are capable of "up-converting" to HD resolutions from DVD. The tuner will not be to useful if it doesn't support HD, or down-converts the output.
Old 2007-01-23, 01:16 PM   #9
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Probably the only OTA PVR option available right at this moment without any strings attached is to use a PC with any of the ATSC cards or new USB tuners on the market.
Old 2007-02-01, 04:16 PM   #10
co1976

Smile new panasonic dvd recorder with atsc tuner

hi there.
i just finish talking with the quebec rep for panasonic and he confirm to me
that panasonic is launchin a dvd recorder with a atsc tuner built in.
it is gon to be available in april with a price point of 379$.
it is good news for people that have hd tvs with out atsc tuners..
i think that the recording is going to be downscaled to 480p..
over all it is good news.

best regards
Old 2007-02-01, 04:19 PM   #11
Cyclism

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.

That is good news. Any word on what 8VSB chipset the actual ATSC tuner will have?
Old 2007-02-01, 06:20 PM   #12
co1976

no .he didnt seem to know to much about ota in general
Old 2007-04-12, 06:24 PM   #13
foxfan

Angry Digital tuners RIPPED OUT of new 2007 DVD recorders in Canada

Well, looks like my worst fears have come to life.

Samsung is releasing a new Canadian model DVD-R150 which will have an analog tuner with no digital one (a combination now illegal in the United States), instead of simply bringing in the tuner-less and integrated-digital ones.

I have also noticed that Panasonic is bringing out the DMR-ES16, another model that seems to be Canadian-exclusive which most likely will be like a DMR-EZ17 but with the digital tuner RIPPED-OUT as well!

To add insult to injury, I noticed LG has two new Canadian models also: LRH-880 and LRH-890

Usually Canadians have EXACTLY the same models as the United States. It's only since the integrated digital tuners have been introduced in TVs and DVDs that the Canadian distributors have started to get cheap and plunder pieces out of American models only to save a few bucks. Canadians should not be treated as residents of a third-world country!
Old 2007-05-03, 01:42 PM   #14
springle

Default What's An Analogue Tuner?

Old TVs used to have dials with click stops on them. That's my impression of an analogue tuner.

Personally I see no point in having a tuner in a DVD player/recorder. I have satellite tuners and a Shaw digital box (tuner). I pass the tuner output to the DVD device via S-Video cable. The DVD device is simply a pass-through device for these other tuners.

I have noticed that the patent of TiVO makes it difficult to get on-screen guides in Canada. A couple of my DVD recorders offer some crappy TV Guide on screen guide. This is linked to the tuner of the device and as I don't use the tuner, then it is totally useless. I do not know the financial aspect of this service. I understand that commercials are downloaded with the Guide. I don't know if the manufacturer also pays a fee. If new DVD devices don't have tuners, then any financial dealings with TV Guide are eliminated.
Old 2007-05-03, 02:11 PM   #15
99gecko
Veteran

Analogue tuner uses the NTSC format
Digital tuner uses the ATSC format.
Tons of info on DHC about the differences between them.

Quote:
Personally I see no point in having a tuner in a DVD player/recorder. I have satellite tuners and a Shaw digital box (tuner). I pass the tuner output to the DVD device via S-Video cable.
You must pay a subscription fee (otherwise you are pirating) to use a satellite or shaw box. OTA users use the DVD player/recorder with ATSC tuner to record digital (including HD) programming without having to pay a BDU (cable/sat/iptv provider) a subscription fee. the DVD player/recorder is connected to an antenna to receive the Over the Air programming. That is the difference, and for some it is a huge point.

Tags
ota hdtv