how to configure motorola sbg900? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Other Canadian Cable and IPTV Providers > Access Communications

Old 2012-04-02, 12:00 AM   #1
merlin
Rookie

Default how to configure motorola sbg900?

I have also subsribed to access internet and got a motorola sbg900 modem/wifi router. How do I cindigure this thing for password, mac addresses allowed etc. I tried 192.168.100.1 as per generic user manual and 192.168.0.1 and some other combinations but was not successful to get the menu. Is that possible at all?
Old 2012-04-02, 12:48 PM   #2
xmastree

open up a command prompt on your (windows) computer and type in ipconfig This will show you what ip address your PC has been assigned to from your wifi/router from access. Look for for where is says "Default Gateway" which is what address you will need to type into your web browser to configure your Access router/wifi
Old 2012-04-03, 01:54 AM   #3
merlin
Rookie

Thanks, that worked. Unfortunately, it seems they have changed the default admin password ... figures.
Old 2012-04-04, 03:37 PM   #4
xmastree

Is there a a sticker or something on the bottom of the wifi/router? I can say for sure this is the case with Access, but I think some providers put the default password right on the bottom of the router.

Also you could just try just putting in the user name with no password... if there is no password configured at all.... sometimes it will still prompt you for the id and password even though it wasn't set...

Worse case scenario just call access and get the user id and password from them. There is no reason for them not to tell you what the default one is.
Old 2012-04-04, 10:54 PM   #5
dogger

Access has done this on purpose. Please see the quote below which is taken from their website:

Quote:
Can I change my wireless password to something of my choice?
No. The security of the wireless is directly connected to your passphrase, and because we are responsible for the integrity of your wireless network, we want to ensure its security by generating a random and secure passphrase for you. These passphrase normally only needs to be entered once when adding a new computer to your wireless network, so you do not need to memorize it. If needed, you can use the Account Online service to have your passphrase changed to a new random passphrase. Note that you will then need to enter the new passphrase on each computer that accesses your wireless network.
If you need to have wifi that you can configure yourself then I suggest returning the wireless modem for a regular modem and then going out and buying your own wifi router.
Old 2012-04-09, 02:29 PM   #6
excatvdude

Location: Grande Prairie, AB 1x3400M, 1xDCX700, 1xSB5680 NW, Wii, PS3

I might be on glue but I thought I read something that they just enabled you to start changing your wifi password. You can change it on http://account.myaccess.ca

Think the info came out in April's billing.