Basic cable and loss of channels on 2nd tv - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-02-21, 04:39 PM   #1
joebann

Default Basic cable and loss of channels on 2nd tv

Hi

From what I understand, my mom has basic cable with Rogers.

She had 2 televisions working on the cable, with the 30 or so channels she gets (I'm not sure about the absolute number, but its something like 30).

She used to get all 30 channels on both televisions, but now only 1 has the full 30 while the other only gets 14 or 15 stations.

This seems odd. How is it that the second television can only get a limited number of channels while the first tv can get all of them?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 2012-02-21, 04:48 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

If it's not because of the digital transition in the following thread (ie a STB on one TV and no STB on the other):

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=146605

Then it's probably a signal strength issue on the line to the second TV. Check the cables/connections/splitters, etc upstream of the TV. If she (or someone else) can't do that, she'll have to call Rogers. If the signal strength is bad, the picture quality on an analogue TV would probably suffer on the channels that she can receive too.
Old 2012-02-21, 04:55 PM   #3
tvlurker
Veteran

it could also be that one of the TVs got inadvertently switched from cable to antenna mode, in which case you would only see channels 2-13 and 65 on 14, 66 on 15, etc.
Old 2012-02-21, 07:08 PM   #4
mr shady

Many areas are doing tier 3 migration this will cause of channel loss also if she is on vip rogers will give here a digital adapter!
Old 2012-02-21, 08:17 PM   #5
bigoranget
Veteran

I'm pretty sure the TV in question is on antenna mode. The user did say that the TV is connected to basic cable only so the TV would not be effected by the digital transition.