Shaw Cable new channel discussion 2012 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-01, 04:23 AM   #1
downbeat

Default Shaw Cable new channel discussion 2012

Please use this thread to discuss new channels on Shaw Cable.
You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Shaw Cable in 2011 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.
A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.
If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Shaw Cable has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.
This thread replaces a similar thread for 2011.
Old 2012-01-01, 04:27 AM   #2
downbeat

Exclamation Quoting etiquette

Please do not quote an entire post. Rather, use only a short excerpt to help put your own message in context.
Additionally, please do not quote the post immediately preceding your own as it makes threads harder to read.
Thanks for your understanding and your co-operation.
Old 2012-01-02, 10:42 PM   #3
Crispal
Rookie

Thumbs down Shaw loosing customers due lack of a new channel called "Mediaset Italia"

Yes it is true,and I didn't understand exactly what new channel you are talking about ,but certainly Shaw isn't offering the above channel while Rogers is doing it.
The worse is that Mediaset Italia channel big Boss announced that it will be free for now and to ask our tv provider to add it.
So why Shaw is waiting too much to add this Mediaset Italia????
What we should do to let them know that it is important and they are loosing clients and money????
Yes ,I hired a lot people saying that they will change tv provider if Shaw wouldn't add to the channel list 'Mediaset Italia".
Old 2012-01-02, 10:54 PM   #4
DSgamby
Veteran

Rogers is the only provider to have Mediaset Italia. Mediaset Italia is owned by Corus which is owned by Shaw and there is an agreement that providers who own channels must add channels from the other providers before they can add one of their own.

There is a ratio. Not sure what the ratio is but using this as an example. Shaw can not add one of their own channels unless they add 6 from other providers and the same goes with those providers with their channels.
Old 2012-09-20, 03:33 AM   #5
garthh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamby View Post
Rogers is the only provider to have Mediaset Italia. Mediaset Italia is owned by Corus which is owned by Shaw and there is an agreement that providers who own channels must add channels from the other providers before they can add one of their own.

There is a ratio. Not sure what the ratio is but using this as an example. Shaw can not add one of their own channels unless they add 6 from other providers and the same goes with those providers with their channels.
Shaw simply absorbs the Media that owns the network, and carefully plays a shell game to offer the listing under a subsiduary...legal under the CTRC
Old 2012-01-03, 08:12 PM   #6
tux

^^^ why?

I don't see any compelling reason why Shaw should add every independent US station to every cable lineup. What exactly would I gain, in terms of content, by getting 2 independent Minneapolis stations? Honestly, Shaw still needs to add certain local Winnipeg HD channels (CBWFT-HD), before adding some distant signal I've never heard of.

As for the cable channels - there's so much duplication of existing content already, I don't see any reason that they should add 3 more muchmusics and more reality shows. If they add a new channel, it should have compelling new content, and it should be offered in HD.
Old 2012-01-03, 11:11 PM   #7
roopster77

Location: Sry/Cloverdale, BC Epson 8350 & 110" Screen... Shaw Gateway & 5 Portals... PS-3 & Harmony One

^^^^^ Tux, totally agree...
Old 2012-01-04, 08:27 AM   #8
bigoranget
Veteran

Richtv is in the 1970s, early 1980s mindset when carrying a bunch of extra US locals had value.

No cable systems are interested in carrying US locals beyond the 4+1 networks currently carried on basic cable in most areas of the country.

With the major BDUs owning many of the local broadcast stations these days, they are certainly not going to go out of their way to offer more US locals that would compete with their own stations.

Also the majority of the stations Richtv mentions in his various posts are not even on the list of eligible services and likely would never get approved due to interventions by the various Canadian broadcasters.
Old 2012-09-20, 02:55 AM   #9
garthh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
^^^ why?

I don't see any compelling reason why Shaw should add every independent US station to every cable lineup. What exactly would I gain, in terms of content, by getting 2 independent Minneapolis stations? Honestly, Shaw still needs to add certain local Winnipeg HD channels (CBWFT-HD), before adding some distant signal I've never heard of.

As for the cable channels - there's so much duplication of existing content already, I don't see any reason that they should add 3 more muchmusics and more reality shows. If they add a new channel, it should have compelling new content, and it should be offered in HD.
@Tux

" I don't see any compelling reason why Shaw should add every independent US station to every cable lineup. What exactly would I gain, in terms of content, by getting 2 independent Minneapolis stations? Honestly, Shaw still needs to add certain local Winnipeg HD channels (CBWFT-HD), before adding some distant signal I've never heard of."

Firstly, these independant US channels are extremely inexpensive, Shaw plugs this into existing spare bandwidth and and charges it out for home consumption in Canada as "premium content" Buy cheap, sell to home markets at a premium...big win for Shaw. Whereas local Winnipeg HD channels require more expensive bandwidth and higher taxes through the current CRTC price point structure.

Shaw is exqisite at reaming the customer

my 2 cents
Garthh

Last edited by garthh; 2012-09-20 at 02:56 AM. Reason: sp
Old 2012-10-05, 12:13 AM   #10
Dr.Dave

Default FX Canada

Zap2it is showing the following new channels for Shaw (don't know when they will be live).

156 FX Canada
267 FX Canada HD
Old 2012-03-24, 12:44 PM   #11
hansapelle
Rookie

Since there are many immigrants from Holland here who would appreciate programming in their native tongue, I'm wondering if Shaw could not add the BVN Channel to thier lineup, which has been approved by the CRTC to be carried by cable firms is Canada.
This channel offers daily news and entertainment in the Dutch language for Dutch and Flemish expats. See: http://www.bvn.nl.
Old 2012-03-26, 06:35 AM   #12
Crash7

The ABC Spark website now has channel listings. No HD version for Shaw yet. I can't say I'm too interested in this channel but I'm sure many families are.

Edmonton: 88
Calgary (Canmore-Banff): 117
Saskatoon-Prince Albert: 49
Vancouver: 118
Victoria: 106
Winnipeg: 108

Don't see the channel listed in the guide as of yet.

Last edited by Crash7; 2012-03-26 at 06:42 AM. Reason: info added
Old 2012-03-26, 05:48 PM   #13
BajaTango

^ Interesting, usually we match up pretty similar to Calgary, but in this case we match up with Victoria... as in Medicine Hat has ABC Spark on channel 106 as well.
Old 2012-03-26, 06:26 PM   #14
Shaw Champ

Location: AB. LG47"LE5500/Toshiba 32E200U /BDC6500/ Shaw Gateway

Some of you may have seen the guide update and now the channel is out here is the relevant info:

ABC Spark (known as ABC Family in the US)
• Will be part of Digital TV & Premier TV
• In SPP, will be a part of Family theme pack
• SD (Standard Definition) channel
• Free preview until June 30, 2012

Here are the launch systems and channel number:
  • 100 MILE HOUSE 50
  • ASSINIBOIA 64
  • ATIKOKAN 107
  • BARRHEAD 64
  • BOWEN ISLAND 118
  • CALGARY (Canmore-Banff) 117
  • CAMPBELL RIVER 104
  • CHILLIWACK 72
  • COURTENAY-COMOX 104
  • CRANBROOK 51
  • CRESTON (Panorama) 66
  • DRAYTON VALLEY 71
  • DRUMHELLER 52
  • DRYDEN 107
  • EAR FALLS 560
  • EDMONTON 88
  • EDSON 88
  • FERNIE 51
  • FLIN FLON/THE PAS 69
  • FORT FRANCIS 107
  • FORT MCMURRAY 51
  • FORT ST JOHN/DAWSON CREEK 51
  • GRAND FORKS 51
  • HAMILTON 186
  • HINTON 54
  • KAMLOOPS 93
  • KELOWNA (Penticton-Vernon) 51
  • KENORA 108
  • LETHBRIDGE (Fort Macleod) 86
  • LILLOOET 541
  • LLOYDMINSTER (Vermilion) 90
  • LAKESHORE -(Marathon, Manitouwadge, Terrace Bay-Schreiber, Wawa) 107
  • MEDICINE HAT (Brooks) 106
  • MERRITT 69
  • MOOSE JAW (Swift Current) 69
  • NANAIMO(Parksville-Duncan) 104
  • NIPIGON 107
  • NORTH VANCOUVER 118
  • PENDER ISLAND 69
  • PINCHER CREEK 89
  • PORT ALBERNI 104
  • POWELL RIVER 69
  • PRINCE GEORGE 52
  • PROTECTION ISLAND 104
  • QUESNEL 133
  • RED DEER (IBO, Ponoka-Lacombe) 92
  • RED LAKE 540
  • SALMON ARM (Sorrento)51
  • SASKATOON (Prince Albert) 49
  • SAULT STE MARIE (Echo Bay) 73
  • SIOUX LOOKOUT 540
  • STETTLER 54
  • SUNNYBRAE 345
  • THOMPSON 71
  • THUNDER BAY 25
  • VANCOUVER 118
  • VICTORIA 106
  • WEST KOOTENAYS 69
  • WESTLOCK 68
  • WILLIAMS LAKE 52
  • WINNIPEG 108
  • WINNIPEG-RURAL 72
Old 2012-03-26, 10:33 PM   #15
mismag

It would be nice for Shaw to add more multicultural channels, not just BVN, but also Portuguese channels for us Portuguese speaking customers, like RTP and Sport TV Americas! MTS offers Sport TV and RTP is available elsewhere but not on Shaw. All Shaw seems to offer is mainly South Asian channels, there are other ethnicity's in Western Canada outside of South Asian!
Closed Thread