Possible Grounding issue - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Free to Air Satellite Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-10-05, 11:49 AM   #1
Kraven

Default Possible Grounding issue

Ladt week I posted that the Q: would constantly bounce from 55%-70%. I didnt mention that once I touch the LNB, it would be a near constant 70% signal (figured it was my weight on the roof shifting the dish).

Last night, the S10 receiver will not turn on if the LNB in line is connected.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Cheers, K
Old 2011-10-05, 12:12 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

You might want to see this thread

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62265
Old 2011-10-10, 10:26 AM   #3
DrSat
Corporate Supporter

Make sure your coax does not have any shorts on it as this is usually the cause of having the receiver malfunction when connected to the coax (i.e. one or more outer braid wires or aluminium touching the middle conductor.)

If you don't see any visible issues, try to use a different coax temporarily in order to ensure the coax is not bad. It could also be a grounding issue as Hugh pointed out which can be fixed by adding a properly connected grounding block.
Old 2011-10-10, 01:35 PM   #4
mr shady

this wouldnt be related to groundig this is a sign your dish isnt locked up tight all nuts and bolts should be wrench tight on the dish and lnb isnt tight in the bracket!
Old 2011-10-12, 10:25 AM   #5
DrSat
Corporate Supporter

Obviously, if the dish physically moves when you touch it then it's normal for signal quality to vary a bit. You mentioned that you mounted your dish on the roof. Assuming you don't have a flat roof, make sure you mounted it on top of a rafter rather than in between two rafters as the roof could be quite "bouncy" in that area. When walking on the roof, you will notice some areas of the roof flex more than others so you should avoid mounting the dish on those spots in order to ensure a stable mount.

Also, your dish should have come with two support braces mounted with a collar bracket which should be installed as well since just the J pipe itself is not solid enough to keep a dish of that size from moving during windy conditions.
Old 2011-10-12, 11:30 AM   #6
Kraven

The dish and lnb are properly secured (this was never an issue); anyways, I redid all the wiring and now she works fine. Am still going to add a grounding block this weekend for extra protection.

Cheers, K