Radio : Montreal Area - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > AM/ FM, Internet Radio and Music Industry

Old 2011-10-03, 10:29 AM   #1
Blackburst

Default Radio : Montreal Area

I thought a new thread covering a specific market may be better to cover various topics within that market than a whole bunch of different threads all over the place.

With a whole bunch of various subject matters going on in the Montreal Radio market recently (CKAC-AM becoming all traffic, KKIC getting a real license from the CRTC, plus new application for AM stations) I thought a centralized thread to discuss all radio matters in the Montreal area might just be way to go. Perhaps other centralized threads for other markets might catch on. Hello Toronto!
Old 2011-10-03, 10:33 AM   #2
Blackburst

On another thread, I had asked what the new licensed call sign for the ex-pirate station KKIC would be. It seems over at fybush they have answered the question. CKKI-FM 89.9

Any news on when this move gets to happen? Also related, I had read some place else that CKDG-FM 105.1 had received a go ahead to move to 106.7 fm sometime ago.

And now a wikipedia entry has also appeared concerning CKKI-FM 89.9
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKKI-FM

Last edited by Blackburst; 2011-10-03 at 02:34 PM. Reason: new info
Old 2011-10-04, 08:18 PM   #3
ChannelMaster

Good riddance Mike FM! Move out of there so we can get WKOL back! Excuse the somewhat agressive tone of my post but I'm somewhat antagonized by little more than carriers allowed on the air just to black out american stations. Moving to 106.7 will block WIZN but at least this one is well out of range.
Old 2011-10-05, 11:07 AM   #4
Blackburst

I wasn't aware that WKOL-FM 105.1 was receivable in Montreal before CKDG-FM went on the air. But, I'll see soon enough, if CKDG-FM acts upon it's move to 106.7 FM. I'm assuming this is the reason why CKKI-FM was licensed to 89.9 and not left to keep operating on 106.7 FM.

Since WKOL-FM is also owned by Hall Communications, owners of WBTZ-FM 99.9 which has a very strong signal into Montreal, I would figure Hall Communications would kick in with HD Radio on WBTZ and place WKOL on a HD2 position.

CKGM-AM 990 has changed it's branding name from Team 990 to TSN 900. We'll see how long that lasts as I have read elsewhere that they are applying to the CRTC to move to 690 AM. TSN 690 soon?
Old 2011-10-10, 01:20 AM   #5
ChannelMaster

Blackbust, allow me to pinch myself first. Do you know for a fact that good old WBTZ is adding IBOC subchannels or are you speculating??? I do have HD radio at home and can hardly wait to enjoy Kool 105 in "full quieting"!

By the way, I used to enjoy WKOL in the car pretty much from late april to late november.
Old 2011-10-10, 01:05 PM   #6
Blackburst

ChannelMaster...
I was only wishing that WBTZ-FM would add HD Radio. I have no knowledge if they have any plans at all to go IBOC. But, I certainly wish they would. I as well have a HD Radio at home. And I really enjoy the sound quality and multiple choices offered by WVPS-FM with it's HD Radio signal. I would think all the border stations who's signal reaches Montreal would add HD Radio, and allow us a greater selection.