What do you think of Koodo? Opinions? I'm considering a phone from this company - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus Mobility and Koodo Wireless

Old 2011-08-25, 11:40 PM   #1
toban
Rookie

Default What do you think of Koodo? Opinions? I'm considering a phone from this company

Sorry this is long!

I live in Winnipeg.

For the past one and half years I have been with Virgin Mobile. Prepaid phone I bought for around $60.00. Top up cards for $15 (good for one month). Usually by the end of the month I'm left with $7.00 because I only use the phone for emergencies or quick calls. Buy my new top up card, apply it before the old one expires, old minutes roll over. I've been happy with customer service (only called twice) but this is the second prepaid phone that is wearing out on me through VM.

I don't want a contract. I've heard horror stories of what it costs to cancel.

So I'm thinking of going with Koodo. I was at a mall kiosk the other day. One phone I looked at is the LG Optimum One (android) with Wifi. The phone costs $150. Either I can buy outright or put it on the Koodo tab.

I have a router at home. Besides for quick calls I'm thinking this phone would be handy for checking transit schedules, look up maps, phone numbers whether at home or in wifi spots like libraries etc.

I have read both good and bad about Koodo. Some people say they have horrible customer service (rude, not helpful) or over charged.

I decided to call customer service to ask about coverage in Manitoba. The guy I spoke to was quite nice and explaned this to me...

He said phones with SIM cards (Blackberry, Androids) use the HSPA network and at the moment only work in Winnipeg and Stonewall. In a years time they will be upgrading or building new towers near Brandon and Portage La Prairie for HSPA and eventually expanding. The CDMA coverage is across most of Manitoba, except far north, east of Pinefalls, Whiteshell cottage areas. The phones that work with CDMA network are ones without the SIM cards.

The plans seem decent at Koodo. I rarely text so adding an extra text plan is something I don't need. I was thinking of this... $20 a month for 100 min, includes Canada-wide calling (calls must be made and completed in Canada), up to 50 text messages including international texts (sent and received in Canada), Unlimited 7pm evenings and weekends. If I wanted a data plan I could add $5 a month for up to 5 MB, $10 for 6-100 MB. Apparently if you go over your alloted mb, they charge you the next bracket up instead of so many cents or dollars per mb. If I signed up for data I would likely be a light user for checking map, email, transit schedules while on the bus, in the mall etc.
Call waiting, conference calling and per second billing.

Call display is $6 per month,so is voice mail. Call display, voice mail and unlimited messaging (text and picture) for $10 a month. Call display is nice but probably could go with just voice mail.

Phones come with a 1 year warranty.

I was wondering if anyone else uses Koodo and what do you think of it? Customer service?

I would like to keep my monthly bill under $40 if possible.

Thanks!
Old 2011-08-26, 07:41 AM   #2
hugh
Member #1

FWIW, koodo is owned by Telus and is there flanker brand. I think you will find that if you talk to people about the major brands you'll hear good and bad comments.

Avoiding a contract is a good idea. If Koodo has the plan that best fits your needs then I say go for it.
Old 2011-08-26, 03:26 PM   #3
toban
Rookie

Thank you for your help!

It makes sense. You hear good and bad things with the majority of companies. Nobody's perfect. So far I think Koodo fits my needs.

My brother lives in the Toronto area and isn't fond of Rogers. He will be going with someone else when his contract finishes (soon).My sister lives near Mission, BC. She signed up with Rogers not long ago and likes it. Go figure.

I definitely do not want a contract.
Old 2011-08-26, 03:38 PM   #4
hugh
Member #1

FWIW, I had Virgin Mobile Pay as you Go for about 4 years and was quite happy with. I bought on $100 card that lasted a year and it was perfect. I never used all the minutes but for $100 a year, it was perfect.
Old 2011-08-26, 04:31 PM   #5
magnet

FWIW, I use a Rogers iPhone 3GS bought off kijiji and a SIM card from 7-11.
The 7-11 speakout service gives me unlimited 3G "browsing" service for $10/ month (actually 30 days), 25 cents/ min for calls and a monthly fee of just 99 cents for 911. I figure my bill for the year will be ~$175.00, ($11 x 12 = $132 and maybe I use about 180 minutes of talk for the whole year).
7-11 minutes are good for 365 days - and if you top up, they last another 365 days.

Before the iPhone and data plan, my $50 would last the whole year.
Old 2011-08-30, 10:13 PM   #6
DTVGuy

I bought a Koodo phone (MOTO KRZR) for my Mom, because in Alberta, for good cell coverage, it's either TELUS (Bell) or Rogers (Fido). She needed it for doing a lot of long distance calling when my brother was in and out of the Cross Cancer Institute, so the $45 Canada-wide LD plan with 350 minutes and unlimited after 6pm worked. That was 2 years ago. Fast forward to today and the $20 Canada-wide plan (just introduced) with 50 texts, 100 minutes, and add-on caller disply means that bill is never over $30.

She's never had a complaint. Never once I had to call customer service, as I just pay the bill online. I bought the phone at Future Shop, it was activated there, and never a problem since.