Plex - Media Player / Center - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing > Apple Computing

Old 2011-02-06, 08:44 AM   #1
notsure
Veteran

Default Plex - Media Player / Center

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but in my quest to find a better 1080p stream player I stumbled upon something called Plex.

It works on OS X (I've confirmed this) and iOS.

It seems to be based on XBMC (much of the same functions) and is by far the best HTPC interface I've seen (not that I've seen many though).

It streams 1080p videos from my Popcorn Hour wirelessly (wireless-N) without a hitch. Before this mplayer was my choice for doing this but the newer versions are having issues with it.

It's a little heavy duty as a simple media player but the extra weight is more than worth it - at in my opinion.
Old 2011-02-06, 09:02 AM   #2
QuickSilver

I have been running Plex since version 8. I have it on a Mac Mini in my home theater and it works great. I use the Aeon Skin which is very nice. I also run it on a JB Apple TV2 now in the bedroom since yesterday and it runs quite well. It runs as a front end and streams from either my Mini which runs PMS or the iMac which also runs PMS.

I have tried XBMC and Boxee but always come back to Plex. I do wish Plex ran on the 1st generation Apple TV but I believe it was a choice for the dev's not to get it running on it.

It runs great with media from my NAS (Acer Easystore) running WHS.
Old 2011-03-07, 11:39 AM   #3
mac2crack

Cool

Love Plex as a media player. I'm also reading my drives through an Extreme N router. Sometimes I connect my MBP to my LCD TV. I recently helped a family member hookup XBMC on his laptop-TV he's happy with it but I prefer PLEX for the Media Manager.

I also use the PLEX app on my iPod. The app works as advertised.

Cheers MacHeads
Old 2011-03-18, 12:59 AM   #4
dufferdan

Sounds interesting.

So it will run on the new Apple TV but no the hard drive based ATv? Odd.

I intend to try Boxee hack on my ATv at the cabin. From what I have seen, though, I minght prefer the Plex if it would work...
Old 2011-04-09, 12:49 AM   #5
Arc|Angel

Location: Brampton - 20" Canadian Tire Electrohome Turn Dial TV; BetaMax; 386sx20mhz w/ 256 colours!

The ATV version is an unsupported hack and not that awesome. If you have an iOS device though the AirPlay on the apple tv makes this kind of unnecessary.
Old 2012-01-19, 12:27 PM   #6
hugh
Member #1

I am interested in possibly running Plex on a Mac Mini in my family room. I was running Boxee on my JB ATV1 which is great for .avi files but when I try to play .mp4 files it chugs.

My idea was to use Front Row but I understand that is gone in Lion so I thought I would install Plex on a mac mini and have it source files from my Windows Home Server 2011.

My question (in addition to "does this make sense") is will the Apple remote control Plex so I can have it operate as a ten foot interface?