Watching TV on a tunerless TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-04-19, 02:00 PM   #1
Doom4life

Default Watching TV on a tunerless TV

I'm trying to figure out my options on how my girlfriends parents can watch TV on an old LCD TV that they purchased a while back that is tunerless.

Previously, they used a VCR that had a built in tuner to watch TV. However, a few months back, it stopped accepting commands from the remote which I have determined is a hardware issue with the VCR. I thought it would be as simple as buying a VCR, but they pretty much not being made anymore.

So what options do they have?

They have TV service through Shaw, so obviously digital cable is one option, however I'm not too sure that they would be in favor of paying the extra as they don't watch all that much TV.

I'd prefer to go the new route (over the used route). I had an old VCR that stopped reading tapes but had a working tuner in my garage, however when I went to move, a crapload of spiders crawled out from it.... I'd hate to buy a used VCR and bring it to their house only to see baby spiders crawling out from it.

I know that the USA had there digital transition switchover, I know that those boxes are for OTA sets, but I noticed int he description that they have "analog-pass through". Would that part with the set?
Old 2010-04-19, 02:02 PM   #2
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

From your post I'm guessing that they would find Satellite and IPTV cost-prohibitive too given that Digital Cable is too much for them. For analogue cable they need to check in our threads here about how long Shaw will keep offering it. If it disappears then they will have to go with Digital Cable if they are staying with Shaw.

OTA is an option depending on where they are. Also for combined OTA/CATV tuner box options read these links:
Old 2010-04-19, 02:15 PM   #3
magnet

I noticed that The Bargain! Shop still sells VCRs.

You may want to check there.
Old 2010-04-19, 02:16 PM   #4
Francois Caron
Veteran

What exactly do they watch? Could they get everything they want via digital OTA? If so, they could get an external ATSC tuner like the Samsung DTB-H260F, and plug it into the set via the video component and audio L/R connections.
Old 2010-04-19, 02:18 PM   #5
Doom4life

Thanks for the reply.... I think I'll tell them to get the cheap Shaw digital box. You brought up an excellent point regarding the switch to digital cable TV. There is no point me sourcing a $50 VCR when they will eventually have to switch over anyways.

Besides, personally its worth the extra $40 a year for the few extra channels her parents would get.
Old 2010-04-19, 02:19 PM   #6
magnet

Check kijiji for your area. There might be some used Motorola DCT 2000/ DCT 2500/ DCT 700's available for cheap.