Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Anyone know/heard when Fibe 2.1 is coming out?

15K views 58 replies 25 participants last post by  wzdj 
#1 ·
I got the addition of Twitter (don't care about that). But it seems like they are enhancing a few things. My dream would be to create my own folders (like on Satellite).

We’re excited to introduce brand new updates to Fibe TV. Now you can watch up to 3 HD shows at the same time plus we’ve redesigned features including a stunning new look for our user-friendly on-screen programming guide, new genres menu and more.

Watch and record more HD shows
Now you can watch and record up to 3 HD shows at the same time - so it’s easier to catch more of your favourite shows.

Experience our beautifully redesigned on-screen programming guide

Enjoy the stunning new look and enhanced functionality, now even more user-friendly

Watch shows in the background while you browse the guide – you’ll never miss a minute of entertainment again

Sort live TV by genres such as Entertainment, Movies, Sports, News,
Lifestyle and Family – finding what you want is unbelievably easy

The amazing Fibe TV 2.1 update is coming soon. The receivers will be updated automatically and there is nothing you need to do.

Anyone hear anything else about this?

See less See more
#30 ·
Hey everyone,
I have not yet received the new 2.1 upgrade, I live in the Dufferin and Lawrence area, Im sure it will soon be here, just a quick question, in regards to the new 2.1 is there much of a significant change? does the guide look somewhat better? the same? worse? what is the big hype all about except that we will have 3HD streams? please just let me know, will I be like "WOW" this is cool. or will it just be another one of those not so great upgrades. Would be nice if they could add channel icons to the Guide instead of just having numbers and would also be nice to get the call display on the screen when people call... thanks

#31 ·
I just got the new upgrade today, and YES, the guide does look a lot better, at least in my opinion... Doesn't look like anything new necessarily, but just much cleaner. I don't know for sure... But it also seems a little faster? At least to me...

As for your specific questions: no, still no icons on the guide; and, no caller id (though I don't have Bell home phone, so it's not something I'd notice anyway)

#32 ·
Mine appeared today too, and I agree, it is easier to look at in the grey rather than the blue - basically I can read it easily from my sofa without my glasses on - before I had to squint a little!
I also noticed that the 3 HD streams now show, as advertised, that'll be very useful on some of those evenings when there's 3 things I want to record and/or watch at the same time....no more messing around with deciding which show to record delayed on timeshift or in (horrors!) SD instead!

#33 ·
Is the guide higher-res now? It seems that way. The font seems smaller but still easy to read.

I had some hiccups with my audio/video last night. I haven't watched much TV lately, so I don't know if the update has anything to do with it.

#35 ·
update to my last posting: I got the new resolution Menu screen and it looks great but it still says this morning that I have the 2.0 version and it still shows 2SD/2HD so I dont know what happened there? anyone have any idea? is this normal for it not to be fully updated along with the new GUIDE look? I dont know if I made any sense on what I just asked, but I aint gonna go back and erase everything and start over.. lol

#37 ·
I'm in downtown Toronto. We got the new guide yesterday but without the 3HD/1SD stream until today. One interesting little quirk: we have four HD TV's in the house (I know, about three too many) and with the new stream you can have all four running an HD stream as long as two are on the same channel. It might not benefit anyone but it's an interesting little twist. As soon as one of the two HD TV's that are on the same channel changes to a different HD station it says All HD TV's in use.

There are limited scenarios where this might be useful but I still like it:p

#38 ·
I know a lot of people have 3HD/1SD and the new guide but does anyone have 2.1 yet.

I have 2.0.26507.4

.4 update gave me the 3HD channels

Just noticed "The Weather Network" App. I'm guessing it came with the weather network hd channel today.

So what will 2.1 actually give us when it goes live?

#40 ·
Well I dont understand Bell at all, I have the new Guide look the gray and white, and I have all the Apps up and running, but it still does not say that I have the 1SD/3HD and it still showing that I am on the 2.0.26507.4 version. So I really don't know. Everyone on here says they received the 1SD/3HD a day after the Guide change but this is like the third day for me and still on the 2SD/2HD.. anyone know why this would be happening?? or is it just the area I live in. thanks for any replies.

#41 ·
I think Bell is confusing the issue. I think Fibe TV 2.1 is just a package of enhancements - it isn't Mediaroom 2.1.

Here's some info from the Bell support site:

http://support.bell.ca/en-on/Fibe_TV/Channels/What_is_the_Fibe_TV_2_1_software_update

Following the update, you’ll notice a completely redesigned interface with an enhanced on-screen programming guide. It also includes new and improved features that will let you:

• Watch and record more HD shows – now up to three – at the same time.
  • Scroll through the on-screen programming guide while your favourite shows play in the background
  • Sort live TV by genres (entertainment, movies, sports, news, lifestyle etc.).
What to expect

Two separate updates will be delivered to your Fibe TV receiver overnight and should not require any action on your part.

The first update will add the new search by genre feature.
The second update will add the 3-HD stream and update the user interface.
Telus has been supporting 3HD where distance permits for quite a while. MTS and Telus have also supported "categories" in Mediaroom 2.0 which sounds like the same feature as "genres".

It sounds like Bell is updating the interface and doing the 3HD upgrade as separate steps. It might take a few days to get both updates done.

Since 3HD requires higher speed lines than 2HD, it's possible that not everyone will be able to get that feature. I don't know if that's the case, but I'm just pointing out the possibility.

#45 ·
I have 3HD/1SD but my downstream download rate is still only 27 Mbps according to CellPipe modem statistics (http://192.168.2.1 -> VDSL screen -> Right click the stats table -> Browser "View Source" menu for hidden stats -> search for "BEARER_DOWNSTREAM_PAYLOAD_RATE" in the raw HTML) -- will I still be able to safely record 3HD/1HD?

My cellpipe modem says I can do up to 60 Mbps attainable (in the "DOWNSTREAM_ATTAINABLE_PAYLOAD_RATE") on an 85Mbps sync (in the "DOWNSTREAM_ATTAINABLE_LINE_RATE") so my line quality is high enough for what I think is approximately 32 Mbps that would actually be required to do 3HD/1SD while having remaining Internet speed left over.

What line speed are you at? Can you go to http://192.168.2.1 view your "BEARER_DOWNSTREAM_PAYLOAD_RATE" (view source in VDSL screen) and tell us what value you see it as?

Code:
<tr id="[b][color=red]BEARER_DOWNSTREAM_PAYLOAD_RATE[/color][/b]" style="display:none"> 
  <td bgcolor="#7B95D2" width="70%">
	<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" class="copy_1">
	  <tr> 
		<td width="5%"> </td>
		<td width="95%" height="18"><font color=#000000><b>Bearer Downstream payload rate </b></font></td>
	  </tr>
	</table>
  </td>
  <td bgcolor="#7B95D2" width="30%" height="18"  colspan="2" >
  <font color=#000000>[b][color=red]26992 kbps[/color][/b]</font></td>
</tr>

#48 ·
These are the results I get in Toronto (East End) for comparison:

Downstream line rate: 39456 kbps

Bearer Downstream Payload Rate: 26992 kbps

Downstream Attainable Line Rate: 58560 kbps

Estimated Loop Length: 1189 ft

I see 14 different parameters in the HTML (listed starting at line 96). The values can be found by searching for "kbps", "db", " ft" and "ms". (The space before the "ft" lets you avoid all the "left" strings)

As a rank amateur in these matters, I would appreciate some posts on what all these values mean and what they tell about my Fibe installation.

#52 · (Edited by Moderator)
Update on Jan 15 gives me a new guide

Not sure if this is new to everyone or just me but I got an update this morning at 11:23 and now I have a new guide. The preview box and descriptions are now at the top half of the screen with the grid below that. Nothing else changed that I can notice. Also, doesn't look like my software version changed. Shows 2.0.26507.4.

Is it just me? Has this been out for a while and I'm just one of the last to get it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.