Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Radio Stations In Montreal Area

13K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  Blackburst 
#1 ·
I thought a new thread covering a specific market may be better to cover various topics within that market than a whole bunch of different threads all over the place.

With a whole bunch of various subject matters going on in the Montreal Radio market recently (CKAC-AM becoming all traffic, KKIC getting a real license from the CRTC, plus new application for AM stations) I thought a centralized thread to discuss all radio matters in the Montreal area might just be way to go. Perhaps other centralized threads for other markets might catch on. Hello Toronto!

#2 · (Edited)
On another thread, I had asked what the new licensed call sign for the ex-pirate station KKIC would be. It seems over at fybush they have answered the question. CKKI-FM 89.9

Any news on when this move gets to happen? Also related, I had read some place else that CKDG-FM 105.1 had received a go ahead to move to 106.7 fm sometime ago.

And now a wikipedia entry has also appeared concerning CKKI-FM 89.9
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKKI-FM

#3 ·
Good riddance Mike FM! Move out of there so we can get WKOL back! Excuse the somewhat agressive tone of my post but I'm somewhat antagonized by little more than carriers allowed on the air just to black out american stations. Moving to 106.7 will block WIZN but at least this one is well out of range.

#4 ·
I wasn't aware that WKOL-FM 105.1 was receivable in Montreal before CKDG-FM went on the air. But, I'll see soon enough, if CKDG-FM acts upon it's move to 106.7 FM. I'm assuming this is the reason why CKKI-FM was licensed to 89.9 and not left to keep operating on 106.7 FM.

Since WKOL-FM is also owned by Hall Communications, owners of WBTZ-FM 99.9 which has a very strong signal into Montreal, I would figure Hall Communications would kick in with HD Radio on WBTZ and place WKOL on a HD2 position.

CKGM-AM 990 has changed it's branding name from Team 990 to TSN 900. We'll see how long that lasts as I have read elsewhere that they are applying to the CRTC to move to 690 AM. TSN 690 soon?

#5 ·
Blackbust, allow me to pinch myself first. Do you know for a fact that good old WBTZ is adding IBOC subchannels or are you speculating??? I do have HD radio at home and can hardly wait to enjoy Kool 105 in "full quieting"!

By the way, I used to enjoy WKOL in the car pretty much from late april to late november.

#6 ·
ChannelMaster...
I was only wishing that WBTZ-FM would add HD Radio. I have no knowledge if they have any plans at all to go IBOC. But, I certainly wish they would. I as well have a HD Radio at home. And I really enjoy the sound quality and multiple choices offered by WVPS-FM with it's HD Radio signal. I would think all the border stations who's signal reaches Montreal would add HD Radio, and allow us a greater selection.

#7 ·
CRTC Hearings

There are suppose to be a new CRTC hearing concerning new radio stations in Montreal on October 17, 2011

Here is the CRTC notice.
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-571.htm

Some hi-lights,

- CKGM-AM 990 (TSN Radio 990) wants to move to the now vacant 690 AM.
- Cogeco wants another license for a English AM station to do traffic. In the same fashion as CKAC-AM 730 currently does in French. Which they also own.
- Several new applicants want to start up new English & French stations on the AM Band as well.
- And somehow everybody is trying to get the same AM positions. Those being the now vacant 690 AM and 940 AM.

I would think a no brainer would be to let CKGM-AM move to 690 AM. That would free up 990 AM. The remaining applicants can then deal with picking up either 940 AM or 990 AM. Though, I wonder if the CRTC would approve Cogeco getting another radio license. It'll be interesting. I'm sure.

There was also a list of interventions that I spotted with the above link. Way to many for me to read or even care about. But for those who get a thrill with such things...read away.

#8 ·
I haven't read this article but I suspect it covers several attempts at adding a spanish language station in the graveyard area around 1400 using the newer tech 1KW antennas set up by Michel Mathieu.

That spanish station should find a spot on FM within a few years if it can muster a decent caliente-style playlist!!!

#9 ·
Actually no!

This round of applicants seems to deal with the 690 and 940 AM slots. Basically, Bell wants to move CKGM-AM to 690. Cogeco wants 940 AM for their English traffic service. Some group from Toronto wants to open a gay oriented station in french. And some other local group wants to open what looks like talk radio stations. One in french and one in english.

What other groups are looking at getting licenses? I haven't heard about the spanish language one.

I really wish somebody would go for a HD Radio add on to their current license, or license a new station with HD Radio with access to use HD2 & HD3. A lot of these small stations such as CKIN-FM 106.3 or all traffic would be perfect on a stations HD2 or HD3 sub-channels.

#11 ·
I *LIKE* some of the AM stuff out of Montreal (!)

Refreshingly different (!)

Listening from Ottawa, I am usually able to pick up a couple Montreal AM stations (usually during the daytime, but not at night)

800 AM CJAD - I find the talk shows and subjects good and interesting. Different, sometimes better than all the normal stuff we get here in Ottawa.
(Received during the daytime in Ottawa)

1280 AM CFMB - Italian music and programming. (Multi-cultural?)
(Received during daytime in Ottawa).

It's just great to be able to hear a little bit about what's happening in Montreal from here in Ottawa. I did work and live in Montreal a couple times in the past - so nice to be able to tune in and listen in to Montreal also.

I think what is happening with this "Daytime reception" of some AM from Montreal in Ottawa is:

1. Ottawa is just close enough to Montreal receive some of the daytime AM signals. What? 200 Km?
[ I have noted that Montreal AM is generally not receiveable AT ALL from Kingston, 300KM away ]

2. The stations increase power output during the day - makes it receivable.
( I noted this especially with CJAD 800 - night time power down at approx 4:10 pm ?)

3. The night time, real long distance AM stuff from very far away dies off during the day. And so - less interference. Allowing reception of some Montreal AM here in Ottawa during day.

So I personally would look forward to the possibility of more AM stations in Montreal / receiving more AM stations from Montreal.

Radio enthousiasts ... enjoy .

#12 ·
Hey mrvanwinkles, I dont' mean to drop off-topic but I'm originally from the Gaspe coast and would you believe that CFRA 580 year round during daytime conditions of course. At night, this station practically goes silent.

As for the richess of AM radio in Montreal well I can't deny the fact that CJAD is working its tails off trying to stay current and I suppose it is succeeding. Otherwise, all I can say is the lesser there are, the better the conditions for DX.

And one other thing funny about the AM setups in Montreal is the emergence of these 1 KW skywave shooters (1450, 1570, 1610, 1650, 1690). They are hardly picked up beyond a 50-mile radius and yet, traveling down east (to the Gaspe coast), these come in like locals from sun down to sun up and can even be heard to some extent all day long!

#13 ·
More movement in the Montreal radio scene.

It seems that CKDG-FM 105.1 has picked up two personalities that use to work over at CKBE-FM 92.5 and CJFM-FM 95.9 for it's afternoon drive.

The story seems to be over at The Montreal Gazette plus The Suburban newspapers. Also seems to be popping up on various other sites.

Bold move by CKDG-FM.

#18 ·
- CKKI-FM 89.9 is now active. The once pirate radio KKIC on 106.7 is now legal as CKKI-FM. My reception of CKKI-FM is about the same as when they operated as a pirate station.

- 106.7 fm seems to be blank. We'll see if CKDG-FM 105.1 moves onto that frequency now.

- CHDO-FM 89.7 is the low powered travellers info station operated by the Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport in Dorval. Ran all sorts of Airport info. Very boring. I usually would get this station. Now that CKKI-FM 89.9 is on air, my reception of CHDO-FM 89.7 is gone. Drowned out. Seems a little strange for the CRTC and Industry Canada to license CKKI-FM so close to CHDO-FM. Unless there have been changes issued for CHDO-FM.

#20 ·
Several Media sources are reporting today that the CRTC has approved three things concerning AM radio stations for the Montreal market.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-721.htm

CKGM-AM 990 (TSN Radio 990) got the go ahead to move to 690 AM.

A new News/Info station in French got the go ahead for 940 AM.

And 990 AM went to a group that wants to run a Gay Pride station in French.

#24 ·
The signal of CKKI-FM 89.9 seems to reach a fair bit for a low powered FM station. In the Central Marche area on the Island of Montreal, the signal was loud and clear in the car. I figured that they would be limited just to the West Island. But Central Island seems to be covered as well.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.