Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers and Digital cable with TV digital (QAM) cable tuner

15K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  yyzlhr 
#1 ·
Hi, ive had abit of a run in with Rogers (wont go in to here, however they suggested i sue them).

Anyway, i have the Digital + (well supposed to, see above problem), and a 40inch new Sony TV (KDL-40NX710).

This has a digital cable tuner, i get the audio channels on digital and some of the rogers multi channels and most of the analoge channels, however nothing more, is this a filtering issue?

Many Thanks
Ashley

#4 ·
#5 ·
I know i was able to scan in 60+ digital channels without STB cable box. Straight forward TV cable scan.

However, My sister has ALL the basic channels + INTERNET + home phone (w/ rogers)

Some of the channels will be in BLOCKS. You know 6 channels of the same type on your TV. A channel will take 1/6 of the TV screen.

Also you will not have proper default channel sorting. And the channels are not named. So you will have to guess to figure what channel is where. Some are easy. Other like, radio stations can be difficult to find which is which.

Good luck,
Al

PS. Yes many of the DTV channels are encrypted. So be happy with what you can get.

#6 ·
Emerald_Boar The fact that you can see any channels may be related to Rogers experiment with the Rogers trial in London outlined in the link below. Most areas of Rogers (Ontario) get no clear QAM channels, outside of music, a few free previews and your "block of 6". Certainly not 60 channels. A link to what is usually available is in the first link I provided in post 4 under "Rogers".

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=147523

Would you please supply a sample short list of some of the clear QAM channels you were able to see? (Logos at the bottom right of your screen should be visible on most)

Perhaps your area has all the basic analogue channels for the Rogers trial as separate Clear QAM?

#7 ·
I've seen the barker channels and BET in clear QAM. HGTV HD was also in the clear for a while here in Kitchener. And I've also managed to pick up some VOD channels in the clear. You could even watch as the person who ordered the movie hits pause, or rewind/FF.

Obviously these are transient in nature.

#8 ·
Emerald, those are what at least I like to call matrix channels, which are a pseudo interactive feature some providers offer. On the proper provider STB, you can move a window around them, in which you can listen to the audio for that channel, and select to change to that channel full screen (which takes it to the regular channel). On your TV, you may be able to choose alternate audio.
I did encounter them on FTA satellite before, and that is my experience with them.

#10 ·
Please note that TV scans total digital channels. A radio station/Music feed would count as 1 Digital channel. If there are 30 music/Radio channels. Then that would be 30 Digital channels scaned in.

But there were a few "digital" TV channels available (like GTN Winnipeg). Most were in a 6 channel block format such as ...

... was Sport block with (LeafsTv + RSN)
... was a block with (G4TV)
... was a news block with (CBCN, CTVN, & etc.)

I guess a proper STB would zoom in and lock onto the proper audio channel.

Yes, London has been known as a test market for many things. If works in London then it properly would anywhere. As London is suppose to a "conserative" city.

Read ya l8r,
Al

#13 ·
Forward this complaint or some variance in your words to The CRTC go online google the and go to the complaint page you can use mail or email

As a subscriber to Rogers Basic Cable. Before the switch to digital by tv stations legislated by the CRTC, she invested in a new tv with a digital tuner. As a rogers client this seems to have been a waste of money, since the digital signals from the basic channels are not available via the tv tuner. Rogers makes it a necessity the she use a low end converter box, thus bypassing functionality of the tv. This converter changes the signal to analog, this removes any benefits the broadcaster has built into their digital signal as well as devaluing an investment in new technology.
1) Isn’t Rogers in contradiction of the statute by forcing conversion back to analog?
2) Isn’t Rogers in contradiction of statute by scrambling local free to air and basic cable channel digital signals?
3) If not don’t you think they should be?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.