Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

No 3D For New Batman Film - Turning Point For Hollywood?

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  james99 
#1 ·
L.A. Times columnist:
I don't want to go over the usual pro- and anti-3D arguments here, because many of us have done so many times over the course of the year. But I do wonder whether the tide is turning. For it's only a few weeks since Warner Bros abandoned plans to add a post-production 3D fix to Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part I. Presumably stung by the size of the criticism it attracted for its fairly terrible Clash Of The Titans 3D bolt-on, Warner Bros decided not to risk such a backlash again. And now - and this is something I'm coming to shortly - it's agreed that 2D is the way forward for the next Batman film too.
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/660..._dark_knight_rises_in_2d_a_turning_point.html

Is the 3D tide turning? Is it a fad that is running it's course?

#3 ·
I think 3D has a place so I am hesitant to call it a fad or gimmickry but its probably best used for a limited selection of movies, not everyone!

#7 ·
3D is great for those who want it. I really don't care as long as they continue to offer the movies in 2D as well and the quality doesn't suffer.

#8 ·
Could Be

Not sure if its a turning point yet but I think AFF may have it right. 3D is great for animations including mixed situations such as Avatar but it is not for all film genres. I think most of directors and producers know this instinctively except perhaps for one well known Canadian who has gone overboard in his predictions about 3D.

Where this leaves the TV set manufacturers is the next question. I have been concerned from the start that they've been too quick to get on the 3D bandwagon and that this could mean one of the big Asian electronics giants is going to suffer a big crash.

In any case I'll make the prediction now that 2011 is going to be the crucial year for 3D. Let's check back on Nov. 1, 2011 to see where things stand.

#11 ·
allow me to rephrase... "no more CRAPPY 3D" (I actually like 3D, just not the frame sequential system, and also not liking the "hmm the movie is bad, let's make it 3D to make it --better--" approach)

#13 ·
I think it is more so people just can't pay that extra cash for a 3D movie and it's showing in box office receipts ? You would never think the economy is so bad in the US with people out of work, losing there homes etc.. and corporations continuing to raise rates on everything, putting up ticket prices and charging extra for 3D movies is just a kick in the teeth to most consumers. I think its economics coming into play here.

#16 ·
$15-ish per ticket is ridiculous when you can buy a new-release BD for around $20 and the entire family can watch together.

My family love to watch movies so it is actually cheaper in the long run to have a dedicated theatre with THX-ratio viewing distance.

( http://acebydavidsusilo.webs.com if anybody want to look see what a low-budget can do)

#14 ·
I don't know about you guys, but when I'm watching a 3D movie it just seems so... layered. As in you see a 2D background where select items are in different "foreground layers'. It doesn't look good at all, especially when I'm looking at it thinking "background layer, foreground layer..."

#17 ·
Or as I've described it for years: 3D today is like those museum dioramas where they create a sense of depth by putting flat cardboard cutouts at different distances from the viewer who is looking through a small opening at the scene. It looks artificial, which is why it works best for animation, but not for live action. Today's 3D in no way imitates or duplicates what we see when we look at the world through our eyes. Two very different things.

There is a novelty in today's 3D especially for kids but it fails for live action with adults. Rather than bringing you INTO the scene in a live action film, all it does heighten the sense of artificiality. Hence the failures of most live action 3D films so far.

#15 ·
^^^ that always the tell-tale sign of faked-3D (movies converted to 3D after the fact) such as Piranha 3D and My Bloody Valentine 3D.

Movies shots in 3D in its entirety will not have that layered effect.

#19 ·
There was a story in the media a couple of days ago that may make us all want to hold off on getting a 3D TV. It seems scientists feel that they are close to creating a holographic style 3D image a bit like Princess Leia's (sp?) desperation hologram to Obi-Wan Kenobi in the first Star Wars film. That was a true 3D image, one you could walk around and see all sides of the Princess. That's why I've referred to the 3D that's out today as cardboard cutout/viewmaster technology. It's very artificial. Holographic 3D by the way would NOT require special glasses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.