Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Tags
windows 8
12K views 65 replies 18 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
Well I like Windows 8 this time. DP was meh but this seems more polished.
I think I'm going to upgrade my main computer at home that the family uses and all use our live IDs to connect to it!

One issue I just discovered that the LIVE ID stuff like with Xbox does not work in Canada as of yet. Either that or I have a messed up install.

** Oh. Scratch that is just started working LOL!

#55 ·
PCWorld did some benchmarks showing that most activities in Win 8 are faster than Win 7. The Office Productivity test was better on Win 7, but that may be resolved before Win 8 goes to production.

I'm running Win 8 and Win 7 on a dual-boot Intel Core i5 and can confirm that Win 8 starts and shuts down much faster and IE browsing is much faster. I've been using Chrome until now, but I haven't bothered to load it on this machine, so I don't know how much of the difference is inherent in Win 8 and how much is IE9 vs IE10. I haven't loaded Office on this machine so I can't comment on that.

#56 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Same here a newer i5 machine. I did install it on an SSD hard drive as well so thought that was why I was seeing these blazing speeds! My only disappointment is none of the Xbox / Zune integration stuff works in Canada. I also spend most of my time at the desktop. The Metro Apps are pretty meh but I admit haven't used them much except for the remote desktop app, its' real nice. I wish Metro had a better video app and the Metro browser supported Flash and Silverlight.

#58 ·
I agree with the article 100%. Forcing desktop users to use Metro instead of the Start Menu will turn Win7 into another WinXP. Most consumers will not want Win8 on the desktop and will resist its adoption. Win8 will also be an uphill battle on touch pad devices due to it's late introduction. I have no doubt that MS will sell millions of copies of Win8 but it won't enjoy the success that WinXP and Win7 have for desktops. I would love to have a Win8 tablet but I doubt they will be price competitive with Android nor will they have the widespread appeal of iOS.

#59 ·
That article misinforms users. It find Win 8 Beta just as easy to use as Win 7. I loaded my Win 8 as a clean in stall and it boots 3x faster than Win 7. All applications run just as fast or faster than 7. The metro can be set up with Google, Word, Excel, Control Panel or whatever, so it's just as easy as win 7. The full screen isn't a problem for me and its easy to find your other apps running by moving your mouse to the upper left corner. The only problem is see that Microsoft should have done is a small tutorial on first start up to show how to use the mouse on the corners and adding icons to the Metro screen.

#60 ·
Pending receipt of new HD, I did a clean install on Win 8 on an old drive. Yes, it does seem to work much faster (maybe fewer things running in the background) but I am not sure if I like the interface for all the previously-mentioned reasons.

I like my desktop and don't like the drag-style menus either. I doubt if I will be an adopter of Win 8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.