Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Original code iS1

518K views 2K replies 239 participants last post by  downbeat 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gateway/Portal(s) have been updated to the new code version iS2, so please use the following NEW MAIN THREAD:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145709

Before you post there, please see this list of issues …
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145359
… to avoid duplicate reports.

Other threads of note:

Adding external drives
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=142528

Gateway promotions (new subs only)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=144468

Wait times for Gateway support
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145274

Cheers,
downbeat

See less See more
#266 ·
The Easy Own plan is through Shaw. Wells Fargo doesn't trade in Canada any more but were obliged to continue with anything set up previous. With the Easy Own you are not in a contract for core services such as TV which you can cancel anytime but you are obligated even if you disconnect service to continue to pay for any equipment. Unfortunately you can not make a lump sum to pay anything off faster and a credit card is required no debit or banking info. There is a separate account created for the charge but any equipment purchased this way is yours right away and on the main account. The first month is also charged right away. It is definitely not a rental program as one would be in agreement to buy it.

#267 ·
@pwh2112 it will pretty much be available everywhere. The area for it to work in is classed by Shaw as either DSG ready (DOCSIS set top Gateway) or an "All Digital" area ready. If you are in Victoria then there will not be any issues only a wait for it to launch there. Lots of upgrades are happening to get all areas DSG ready this summer. Requires a change at the node.

If you are in an apartment/ condo then the Gateway would be probably put by the TV. In a house with basement it is typically just tucked out the way.

DSG can also be attributed to the DCX 3400 as that has a modem built into it too. But that piece if equipment works independently of the Shaw Gateway set up.

#268 ·
My condo is pretty typical in that there is an access panel at the back of the entrance coat closet that techs have keys to open and reveal the phone and cable incoming connections plus all the lines within the apartment terminate there. There is also an electrical outlet, and so the Shaw tech placed my phone modem on the wall behind the coats with a phone and coax wire running into the access panel.

I had thought this would also be the logical spot for a gateway; perhaps setting it up on the shelf above the hanger rod. However, I'm now wondering; will future updates to allow network capabilities just activate the wireless modem; or will the ethernet ports likely be activated too? I believe it was said that they are gigabyte ports, and while my computers have gigabyte ports my routers and switches are 10/100, so I could benefit slightly by making this my main router. I'm therefore wondering if I should get the Gateway mounted in the main computer area? Any opinions? Have I missed something obvious about this setup?

#269 ·
@Flash604

Yes the ports will be activated on the box once DLNA is enabled. When the ports are enabled, the box can be used as a router, or a switch. With most advance users out there, i would assume it would be configured as a switch so that you could hook the box into your existing network (as a pass through). Personally i would have it close to where your existing cable modem/router is. I like having advance options when it comes to router configurations, so i personally wouldn't use the gateway as the main router. My setup will have the gateway hooked up in the computer room by my existing router, and hook that in. The gateway would then be configured as a switch so that my linksys router will control the DHCP assigning of IPs. Activating the wireless would just pass through the IPs that linksys router assigns. Everyone's setup is different so it would depend on what you want to do.

In your case, since your router and switches are 10/100, i would potentially think of using it as the main. It sounds though however you would still have a combination somewhere going from gig to 10/100 somewhere down the line.

@aqua

yes a NAS, or UPNP serving device can be used to stream pictures, music and videos. Isn't available at launch but will be enabled on a future code release.

#270 ·
@ShawGuy2011

Thanks for the info, that's probably very similar to what I'll do; glad to know it can just be a switch. Currently I run both a G and an N router, both Linksys models running DDWRT firmware and the N being the router with DCHP enabled. Despite having upgraded to N, I keep the G running as an access point as we have laptops and gaming systems that are G only, so this was a lot cheaper than getting a dual band router. The way I'd hope I could configure the future system would be cable modem to N router with wireless and DCHP on, N router to Gateway, Gateway to desktop computers and the Gateway wireless on for the G items to use.

What would spoil it would be if the Gateway is a bit noisy. I built our computers to be almost completely silent, and we really notice the noise of a laptop when one is set up in the computer area. It can really bother my wife as she has vestibulopathy. There were previous mentions of the Gateway being noisier as it has the fans, and the portals being silent. Hopefully we'll get some reports here soon of just how much noise the Gateways make.

Edit - I just noticed that both the Shaw site and the Arrris site say the ports are 10/100 only. Scratch that idea.

#350 ·
@ShawGuy2011
Edit - I just noticed that both the Shaw site and the Arrris site say the ports are 10/100 only. Scratch that idea.
I was just looking at the Shaw site about the Gateway and it shows there are "4 x Gigabit Ethernet ports" under the 'Inputs/Outputs' section. Of course these will not be enabled right away but that leaves me hopeful for greater functionality/flexibility in the future when they finally do enable them.

#272 ·
How Much Are Extra Remotes

I have 3 TV's. What do I need to buy?

If I buy the gateway plus 1 portal package for $598 will this service 3 TV's?

I think both the gateway and portal each come with a remote so that gives me 2 remotes.

How much is the 3rd remote and are there any other costs I should be aware of?

#275 ·
I have 3 TV's. What do I need to buy?

If I buy the gateway plus 1 portal package for $598 will this service 3 TV's?

AFAIK, The Gateway comes with one (1) Portal. Each TV needs a Portal. Each Portal runs one (1) tv(possibly more but all connected would show the same channel). For three TVs you would need to buy one Gateway/Portal and two additional Portals. ($598+178+178=$954+Taxes)

#273 ·
So my next question is somewhat Gateway related; somewhat Shaw policy related.

We have four outlets in our condo: Bedroom TV, Living Room TV, Kitchen TV and a fourth outlet I got them to add in our computer area. Computer area is for the cable modem, but then I have it split to go to the two TV Tuner cards in the desktops PCs.

The question is the 4 outlets that is usually included in your cable package vs. the 6 tuners the Gateway has built in. Will Shaw expect you to pay for 2 more outlets if you're using all the tuners, or are they adjusting their plans to allow 6 outlets? I had thought of getting a Gateway plus 2 portals for the TVs, and then using the 2 free digital box rentals that come with the Plan Personalizer for the computers. Will Shaw say no to this since it would be one more tuner than I have outlets?

#277 ·
If you wanted to use the Gateway and had it set up on 5TV's then that would be 5 Outlets. If you have 4TV's and the Gateway and use all the tuners there is no problem. There is a difference between physical outlet and a tuner. If you have more than 5 or more outlets activated thats where the charge comes from. You will be fine with your plan of action.

#279 ·
Shaw Champ said:
If you wanted to use the Gateway and had it set up on 5TV's then that would be 5 Outlets. If you have 4TV's and the Gateway and use all the tuners there is no problem. There is a difference between physical outlet and a tuner. If you have more than 5 or more outlets activated thats where the charge comes from. You will be fine with your plan of action.
Perhaps I expressed what I said wrong, I meant I'd have 3 portals (Gateway's portal + 2 extra portals) going to the TVs plus the 2 digital boxes going to the computers. From what you've said, I think I'd have to pay for an extra outlet.

#280 ·
I'm sorry Flash :) You said it find, I read it wrong. If you have 5tv's then yes there could very well be a charge, I would advise to call in and ask. The only reason I say that is BC launch is a little ways off and things could very well change there. (with Gateway and Outlets (nothing official)) Definately good feedback though, appreciated.

#281 · (Edited)
Hello all, great forum and discussion.

I currently only have one tv which may expand to two in the future so the big appeal to me of this system isn't so much the number of portals available but would be the increased recording capability and the ability to record remotely using my iphone.

Am I correct in assuming that the gateway contains the 6 tuners so I would be able to record 6 HD shows at once even if I only have one portal or does each portal have a limit? Currently of course I can only record 2 shows at once and watch a recorded one but sadly sometimes this isn't sufficient especially in hockey and football season.

Also, if I'm using the hdmi from the portal to the tv can I also still use the component and optical audio at the same time which I am currently able to do.

Thanks

tttinbc

#282 ·
If the Gateway is so complex as not to be a self-install, then I doubt I'll ever get it. My condo is of stressed concrete construction with wiring and plumbing within the concrete. Shaw has never been able to figure out how the cable gets from the central building cable room to my unit and have been unable to restring/pull cable. Sigh.

#285 ·
Following up on the Remote Control codes subject, I made a couple of inquiries on the weekend and received replies this morning. The following is the one from the Gateway manufacturer:
Hi Mr. XXXXXXXX, My name is XXXXXX and I am an Account Vice President responsible for working with Shaw on behalf of Arris. We received your email over the weekend and I would like to provide you an update regarding your Logitech Harmony inquiry:

We have recently purchased a new Harmony remote for testing and validation here in our lab, and use at shows and demos, but in the meantime here is what we do know.
• Although no formal ARRIS testing has been done approving the performance of the Harmony remote with the Media Player (same product as the Shaw Total Home Portal), we have multiple reports of ARRIS users that own a Harmony remote and use that remote with their MCR's (this is our retail box called Moxi that is similar to the Shaw Total Home Portal you will have installed shortly).
• The codes for the MCR are exactly the same codes, from a remote control perspective, as those used in the Shaw Total Home Portal.
• If you go to Logitech.com’s site, and search on Moxi model #MR-1500T3, you will find the MCR product is supported.
• When we have completed testing our new Harmony with the Media Player, and confirmed that there are no unusual issues, we will contact Logitech and have a separate ARRIS Media Player reference added. We do not want to take that step until we have tested the remote with the Media Player first.

All that said, it is not uncommon, if you read the various Harmony blogs, that some functions on various manufacturer’s devices do not seem to work, or work properly, with the Harmony remote. The remote Arris/Shaw provides has been designed specifically to support the User Interface experience and should be promoted as the desired device for maximizing the experience. Let me know if you have any additional questions and we hope you enjoy the new Shaw video experience.

Regards,
XXXXXXX
I also received a reply from Logitech stating that if I can email the manufacturer of the 'new' equipment and get them to send them the Hex Codes, they would be happy to add them to their list.

Based on the letter above, the codes are the same as what is there now so the 'Moxi' codes should work. As ARRIS says they will provide the information once it is validated, this process should happen in short order, I would expect.

For now, I will be adding the Moxi codes to my Harmony One in anticipation of the system working as described but I won't be upset if it isn't perfect. Besides, I can always custom learn and program any keys that don't work between the two remotes.

#289 ·
My question is along the lines of what Flash was asking. My family's house only has 4 cable outlets (so my brother was willing to give up his after the digital mandate), so we are wondering if each portal uses an outlet (because if so the Gateway isn't for us).

If someone here happens to use a portal (especially after the mandate) would be able to confirm for me how it works I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not concerned with the main Gateway box as it would occupy one of the 4 outlets either way.

#290 ·
The way I understand it is that each outlet will be connected to a portal. The Gateway acts like a 'server' so the main feed from the street will feed the Gateway, and then the Gateway feeds each portal. The Gateway will not use up an outlet. So a 4 outlet house will need 4 portals and 1 Gateway connected to the main cable feed from the street.

Then again I could be wrong.

My question is...

Can I use the portal connection to connect my 'home-ethernet' network to various devices. ie If I have a 'smart-tv' that can accept a network cable can I use the portal hardwire connection to feed this tv or is the only way to do this is to use a MoCA adapter?

Thanks

#292 ·
Shaw Champ has been awesome in answering questions and knows better than I, but after reading the info that he's posted, I've come up with the following for those who are confused and want a simple explanation of what this is and how it works. Please correct me if I'm wrong Shaw Champ because the last thing I want to do is confuse anyone further. Here goes:

The Gateway will be hooked up at the incoming point of cable to your house. The cable will be split with one line going to the Gateway and the other acting the way it always has. The Gateway is your PVR. Instead of having cable boxes with built in PVR's, it acts as one central PVR that you can access from any TV in your house that has a portal.

A portal is what is going to take the place of the cable box at your TV. What will happen is it will hook up to the cable outlet nearest that TV, which in turn will be linked to the Gateway

You will still have access to regular cable for other cable boxes, because only cable lines running to portals will be hooked up to the gateway. There will still be that secondary cable line to act as your cable setup always has.

This next part I'm a little cloudy on but as I understand it, the Gateway has 6HD tuners and 3 SD tuners, meaning you could conceivably record up to 9 programs at one time. You can also watch and record based on the functionality of the 9 tuners. IE: 3 different viewers watching 3 different TV's, while the Gateway is recording 6 other programs for instance.

Everyone who signs up for this will have to buy the Gateway and one Portal for $598. There is no deal or trade in offer for that. That is what you need to purchase no matter what if you want to get this technology in your home. If you want the gateway running to more than one TV, then you either have to buy an extra portal for each TV at a cost of $178, or if you have one of the DVR or DVR capable Cable boxes listed in Shaw Champs list of acceptable trade ins, you can trade one of those boxes for a portal up to a maximum of 3-4 I think is what Shaw Champ said.

Hopefully that is an accurate portrayal and is easy to understand. I apologize if I have misunderstood something, but as I said, from all I've read this seems to be the brass tacks of what the system is about.

#293 · (Edited)
NEW Shaw Gateway Experience Commercial on YouTube

Shaw has posted a commercial on YouTube for the new Gateway at http://youtu.be/jBvdVsfvDwI. This is truly a mass-media commercial and doesn't provide anything of value to most people reading this forum. I expect we'll see it on TV soon.

#294 ·
It's the same 'ad' that can be found on Shaw's webpage about the Gateway. Interesting that they have chosen to put it on YouTube but I guess free advertising is still free. I'd hate to see the bill for creating such a 'fluff' piece but if it generates interest then it has done it's job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.