Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Cable rant thread, Leaving Shaw, etc

479K views 2K replies 323 participants last post by  faston 
#1 ·
Our Shaw Customer Service - Good and Bad - Post Comments Here thread has gotten out of hand. Very little Good, lots of rants that are off-topic so a new thread has been created to allow folks to rant about Shaw.

Now, c'mon get it off your chest.

If you have a problem with Shaw, then lets hear about it.

#844 ·
My shaw cable started to axt funny tonight, started around 7pm and proceded to ruin every recording i had set up from then untill 10pm
This is after picture and sound drop outs daily, stuttering picture and just crappy service. Last time i had a tech out they increased the signal but said they couldn't do more, this was months ago yet the problem still continues.

Going to demand another tech comes out to fix this once and for all if not anyone know where i can sell my gateway and 2 portals?

#845 ·
They're raising personal tv? I guess it makes sense because it's 25.90/month instead of the 39.99/month for basic.

I don't know. It seems they didn't make as much money in the last quarter because they started to offer some competitive deals. Their solution is to raise all the prices?

I know telus doesn't offer nearly as fast interent, but how many people need bb50. Telus is going to start to look alot more attractice to people who can easily do their websurfing on a 15mbps connection.

#846 ·
I don't think the raise make sense basic cable incudes many digital channels that you would have to spend a fortune in theme packs to get them back. Also basic cable come with HD basic and it has more hd channels then personal tv.

Also how can a raise in the package that has only been around a few months make sense They should have priced it from the start.

#848 ·
So i go into the shaw friends chat, discribe the problems i'm having
Gateway losing signal reboots it self randomly, losing signal to other portals, sound and picture drop outs, picture stuttering and more and ask that i can have a tech sent out but the rep won't help me just passes me along to calling the call center.
So i let him know that if i wanted to wait an hour to get help i would of called but all i want is a tech sent out, if this is so difficult then make it my anual visit i do get one of those, but at this point the rep refuses to respond so i just want to say a big thank you to shaw you made my experiance such a great time and really show what great custumor service you provide.

Why is it so hard to have a tech sent out? that's all i wanted but of course shaw has to go out of it's way to piss me off.

#850 ·
I pretty much use CC solely now. I've yet to have someone refuse to set up an appointment. Of which I have had 3 within the last 4 weeks.

Over all, my experience with customer service has been pretty decent. I haven't always liked the answer but it's the company policy or practices I have issues with, not the person on the other end of the phone/chat. I try and make it clear, when I am noticeably angry, it is "the system" I am angry with not them. They are always polite and reply "I understand".

I've spoken with 2 managers in the last month or so and both times I was left satisfied at the end of the conversation.

#851 ·
Guide info wrong alot!

Ugh I hate when the guide is wrong especially for LIVE sporting events!!! It happens way too much.

I was looking forward in watching an afternoon MLB game Angels and Rays which shows in the guide.

Extremely annyoing. It happens alot.:rolleyes:

#852 ·
Back after several month hiatus-
Looking at signing up for Shaw again because:
I switched to Telus on Sept. 30 2011 after Shaw's poor CS. I took a 1 year deal on the TV ptn. with 6 months discounts, got the rep to detail it with prices and signed up. Just got my bill. While I expected higher rates as in month 7- Telus has overbilled me by over $60 Tel supposed to be $25 charging $29.68 Internet $44 Charging $52.71 TV Your Pick HD pkg w/HD $78 1 year term charged $114. I'll be calling to see what the deal is. May have to pay the $10 per month penalty and go back to Shaw. This is terrible. Telus needs to read their agreement.

#854 ·
OK- maybe a bit too quick to criticize. I called Telus who advised me some credits came off the top and added on this month- reason why 29.68 instead of 25 and 52.71 instead of 44. They also said because of pkg. there was an error of almost $30 which they credited back to me. So I understand now but it is confusing. We went through next months bill based on what I have and we matched so all good. End result- CS excellent. Billing- mistake corrected and confusion on charges explained but misleading. - also I was too quick to criticize.

#855 ·
After the update now have one portal that likes to reboot itself randomly.
TV screen goes blank, arris comes up then screen will pop on and off then finally show no signal before it comes back again.
This doesn't happen to then 2nd portal so has to be an issue with just the one.
My last attempt to have a tech sent out was though the shaw friends chat and they refused to send someone out just told me to call. So now i'll try again and lets hope i get some help this time

#856 ·
Bye bye Shaw

Went with a Shaw 6 month promo last fall which just ended last month... very good value for TV and Internet (after a debacle of an install), and was planning to continue with them on a $60 bundle they had on their website earlier this year... but now it is not there, and even after calling, nobody can offer anything under $90 a month including a phone service I don't need.

So long Shaw from a customer who would have started being profitable for you, I can handle double your teaser rate but triple is just getting greedy. So I am off to Telus even though their internet is not great in my area (and no TV from them here yet), and 2 OTA stations will be fine since I dont watch much TV over the summer anyway.

See you in the fall when you have to use promos to gain back your lost business ;) maybe.

#859 ·
I havn't had a chance to send my contact info to Shawsean yet i'll be doing so once i get off work in the morning.
I posted my gateway for sale so i could see what sort of response i'd get by offering it for sale.
I'm still hoping i can get the gateway issues i'm having sorted out but if get a good offer for the equipment then i don't know if i would stay
Just keeping my options open

#860 ·
I'm very disappointed in EXO "The Ultimate Network" at the moment.

If EXO is so "Ultimate", why can I only watch SD feeds of 'A Game of Thrones'? or any of the movies they offer through MC on VOD?

I asked a rep through chat, and was basically told "HD content uses a lot of bandwidth!".......and your point was? "So we save the bandwidth for the current episodes/season". Yes, it uses a lot of bandwidth, but we Canadians pay some of the (if not 'the') highest prices for bandwidth in the world. Why can I not watch whatever previous episode I want in HD? It's not like they are not in HD and it's an impossibility. It just comes across as cheap to me. (From a company that claims millions in profits, if not billions each year on inflated bandwidth costs?)

Sorry, but this is not an "ultimate network" delivering "the ultimate HD experience". Me thinks Shaw toots their own horn a wee bit much......

If you want to use the word "ultimate" to describe your service, you may wish to deliver "ultimate service". Which SD is not when an HD version exists!

That is my interpretation of an "ultimate network" delivering "the ultimate HD experience". Ya know, actual HD content.....when I "demand".

And why is my Gateway now complaining I have "Disk space issues" when I, for example, go to record a one time show/movie, say between 6-8 PM tonight, that it wont record 3 shows within that time frame.....and several others scheduled days later? *deep breath*

It's a 1-2 hour recording, scheduled to record once. What does tomorrows recordings have to do with anything?

(Note: I was just going to post this in the update thread but figured while on a rant, I may as well complain about it to.)

#861 ·
I couldn't find Game of Thrones, but the MC movies in My VOD (and
Super Channel) are in HD. They don't list them in HD but when you go to order them they say HD and then the movie name and also free. I have ordered several and they were in HD. This is with the 3400 Moto box, and in the Vancouver area (Coquitlam specifically). I have not had the dnu done yet in my area so that is not going to affect whether or not you get them.

#862 ·
(I had a much longer post typed up but closed the window by mistake so this one will much more brief.)

Sadly that is not my experience.

Anything I have ordered, is letter-boxed SD, even though my TV reports 1080. The top black bars, are darker than the side bars......which I find odd. Normally even 720 letter-boxed has a solid coloured border.

I did have one MC VOD movie offer HD finally.....for $4.99. :/ That was the only time I've seen anything other than "free $0.00" or "close".

#863 ·
:confused:Seriously guys - I have several questions for Shaw Champ or any body that can answer to the several questions that I have????
1. I have purchased 3400 in January and I can't activate it, still in the closet collecting spider webs and mice.
- Reason - no digital feed, all we get is analogue feed - so I am told????....

How soon do you expect a digital feed for the West Kootenay area? Any specific or approximate time???

Second question: With the Olympics coming up very soon - does SHAW have plan to broadcast the events on CTV HD in our area since we do not get any CTV in HD????

#864 ·
Shaw recently switched over the services in my neighborhood to all digital. Unfortunately, this also means that signal strength may become an issue for very small amount of households. Our household happened to be one of these. We lost nearly every channel from the Personal TV package except 17(CTV NewsNet), 44(History), to 'One Moment Please, S0a00'. In addition, for some reason we were getting channels that we weren't paying for: 96(OWN), 116???(Action), etc. In addition to the issue with the TV, the Internet also started having modem unsyncing issues.

After alerting Shaw of the issue, the soonest date they could offer was well over a week away. Fast-forward to today, we got the issue fixed this morning and the tech was awesome, surprisingly he actually knew what he was doing(I work in networking). He replaced some fittings on the outside, removed a random splitter(from the original Internet install) on the cable line, and removed close to 3m of excess coaxial cable that goes to the TV. After the fix, he told us to contact a CSR to get a credit for the two weeks, which was incredibly easy to do via the Shaw Friends Chat. Overall, I was extremely satisfied with the tech and CSR.

I don't blame Shaw for the issue. This house is thirty plus years old and has a terrible coaxial install(eg. splitters used to extend small runs of line, massive excess of line, no wall plates, line running in areas against code, etc). The only thing I would have expected is for the switch over to be handled more professionally, espcially considering this is a known issue. For example, calling households the day of the switch to handle any issues that may arise, that day.

#865 ·
Been about a week and a half of posting daily reports of my sound drop outs and not one word of help from anyone from shaw.

Shows just how great service they provide that when i document over 100 sound drop outs in less then 20 hours of tv watching i get no response or have them blame it on everything but them and when told no it's still a problem with it's connect straight to the tv they say i don't know then and maybe wait for the next update but put up with our bad service until then.

Finally sent a PM to a rep on here see if i get anywhere this way, i bet bell or telus doesn't treat their subscribers this way.
Wonder what more i have to do to watch a show without the sound dropping out

#866 ·
Tech came by, changed a few splitters and connectors but not 5 minutes after he leaves the sound drops out twice and then droped out at least 10 times over the next few hours. Hopfully changing the line to the house will fix this but i'm not hopfull

I've been promised to have them do everything they can untill this is fixed so i'm waiting untill they change the line and if that doesn't fix the problem shaw better start offering me money back or something as this is getting to the point i don't care what i spent on the gateway, i'll eat that cost just to have tv without the sound dropping out 100 times a week.

#867 ·
RANT/ReRant

Just looking at my billing history online. Lo and behold a 5.00 charge for extra outlet(s). WHAT? Start a chat with concierge service, and apparently this hidden charge is attached to bundles and doesn't really make sense.
Personally I despise hidden things like this and lodged a complaint.

/rant off

I only get an ebill and there's not much info/detail on there.
My triple play service has four TV outlets, Three on Portals and one normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.