Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

MTS Ultimate TV connectivity question

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mtsguy 
#1 ·
I'm considering switching from Shaw to MTS TV and internet... now as I understand, with the ultimate TV system you have your phone entrypoint into your basement, the MTS boxes/modems, and each tv has a set top box, the main tv having the "main" pvr box, correct? Now, I've read that the main pvr box would get a cat5 feed from the modem/box, and the other set top boxes would run off the existing coax...

Does the main pvr have to be fed with cat5, or will coax work? Reason being is that my demarc/phone entry point in the basement, is completely on the oposite kitty corner side of the house, from where the main PVR would sit upstairs, and the basement is finshed, there won't be any running of cat5 anywhere... Would the existing coax work or am I stuck with shaw?

#2 ·
I know MTS prefer to use Cat5 to the PVR for reliability - I don't know if they make exceptions.

The PVR can be on any TV, if there is a more convenient location.

Another option is they may be able to install the modem/router near a TV that has a telephone jack and coax cable.

#3 ·
About three years ago there was definite issues if the PVR unit was not on a CAT5e line. I have heard that some of the updates pushed through the system since then have addressed those issues.

My suggestion would be to try and have Shaw and MTS services overlapping. Tell MTS up-front you have concerns about their ability to wire the system due to the construction of your place and see if they can send out a senior field tech. Also make sure you can cancel within the first 30 days and not have to pay them an installation few.

If the PVR and additional STB are installed correctly for MTS Ultimate TV you can play back a recorded show without any sturrering, however if the old issue still exists you will notice it almost immediately. Also searching/skip commericals would bring the issue out.

#4 ·
I just recently had MTS Ultimate TV installed and the installer mentioned to me that they must install all TVs via Ethernet. He did say coax would not be an issue. Maybe they would make an exception if they are aware this is the only way they will get you as a customer.

#6 ·
I was looking after a relative's installation when they switched from Shaw to MTS in December. The installer used the existing coax for all TVs - no problem. The Modem/router and PVR were installed at a basement TV near the MTS demarc and the router was connected to the existing coax which fed 3 other TVs, including the main TV on the ground floor. He did use Cat5 to install a new TV outlet in the kitchen.

#8 ·
@Dr.Dave Interesting. My install was done the same month. However, it was done by a company contracted out by MTS. I think it was myITsource out of Brandon, MB. I had a coax cable going out to where the TV was already but he mentioned he had to use Ethernet according to MTS policy. Glad to hear Chief Ten Bears was able to use coax.

#9 ·
Something else came to mind, I remember a discussion on the quality of the coxial cable also being part of the issue. It used to be old cable, or ones sold at the dollar store, have minimal shielding on them and poorly installed ends. Sometimes the cables have been punctured with staples, nails, etc. All of these lead to quality issues with your singal. As Ultimate TV runs as a pure digitial singal over the cables, not an analog signal like older cable did when you didn't need a set top box, signal quality is a huge issue.

Like I said in my previous post the only way you will likely know for certain is to have it installed and try it out. A lot of the variables are specific to each installation.

#10 ·
It sounds like they now prefer Cat5, but will use existing coax if that's the only option. The house had a finished basement and the ceiling tiles were nailed in place. The installer did replace a segment of cheap dollar-store coax that was accessible. He worked for Powerland and said MTS uses about 4 companies for TV installation.

#11 ·
I can tell you when I did MTS installs coax was NOT to be used no matter what for the 1216/2262 (Main PVR) whether the PVR service was being used or not. Other boxes, 1200/2202s were okay to be on RG6 coax and in a last resort RG59 if it was the absolute last resort. Of course, CAT5 was preferred for these STBS as well. But no matter what the PVR needed to be on CAT5. I now work for TELUS in BC and AB and we use coax for everything with no issues although, CAT5 is still preferred if already in place.

They may have told you COAX is okay on the phone for the Main PVR, but to be honest people on the phone don't know the difference between CAT5, RG6, RG59 so they installer may show up and not use the coax. don't get your hopes up. Sales reps are exactly that, sales reps. Not installers, not inspectors not engineers.

Hope this helps :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.