Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Recording a show fails every time, really strange.

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  wysiwyg 
#1 ·
I have a Record a Series set up for the 1:00pm Eastern showing of The Price is Right, on channel 528 in Ottawa (CBS West).

For some reason, every single day the recording is corrupted. Last Friday's show is in my recorded list as only 8 minutes starting at 1:52pm. Thursday is 21 minutes. And on and on it goes, it's been a couple of weeks since I got a good recording. If I attempt to play one of these, nothing happens.

There are no other recordings scheduled at this time, so nothing is interfering. In fact, I've had to start recording the eastern broadcast on a different channel and time, one which conflicts with another recording, but recording two things at once works ok, better than the one alone.

I've got an 8642, but I really think the hardware is irrelevant here. I can record everything else I want.

Anybody else see something like this? I'd love if someone in Ottawa or similar could try and record it as well and see if it works.

#2 ·
Have you performed a reboot?
Have you tried deleting the scheduled recording and redoing it?
Have you tried setting a single recording?
Have you checked your signal strength and S/N ratio on that channel?
What happens when you tune to channel 528 to watch?
Do you record any other programming on that channel?
Have you tried pressing the record button when watching 528 to see if the PVR records then?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

#4 ·
Yes, I've rebooted. Signal strength is fine, levels are 0, S/N 36dB. The PVR has no problem recording the show immediately before and after on the exact same channel, and it's not like the signal would suddenly drop every day at 2pm.

Can only try one trick a day, and have set up a new recording. I'm 100% confident it won't change anything as there's nothing wrong with the scheduling. It starts up the recording every day on time, and screws up during the show.

I'm positive it's not my equipment. There's something screwy about this *one* particular broadcast.

#7 ·
I guess that's it, as I recorded 583 successfully.

One of the primary reasons for recording the US broadcast was to get the US broadcast though, as I hate what the Canadian channels often do to the broadcast.

I guess there wasn't a simsub on 583 last year.

Thanks.

#8 ·
I had the same problem with that same channel but for Judge Judy recordings at 7pm and 7:30pm, sometimes it would record some of it and other times it would just freeze part way through the show while watching back .. the channel has nothing wrong with it as far as pixelation or blipping. I went back to recording the show on Fox at 6:30 and 7PM and have had no issues since.

#9 ·
I always thought they can only do the simsub when there's a local OTA station offering the same broadcast. If I want to record Letterman on CBS-W and there's a station in Vancouver showing it as well, the CBS feed was always available. Even if it is simsubbed, shouldn't it show the Vancouver feed instead, as if I tuned the CBS station live?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.