Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

VPN services to allow Canadians to access sites like Hulu

332K views 425 replies 162 participants last post by  tvmaster 
#1 ·
Is it within the forum rules to discuss VPN services? Such services can give you anonymity on the web with the added benefit of appearing to come from another geography, and therefore allow Canadians to access streaming video sites such as Hulu and US TV network sites. Using a service with a UK IP would allow you to access BBC online content that is online available to UK based IP addresses.

I do not believe such products are illegal so I don't see a problem but I thought I should ask first.

#2 ·
Perfectly legal as far as I am concerned. There have been some discussions of services around here so members could get to sites like Hulu.

#3 ·
I use Purevpn for my Sagetv & HD200s for past 5 months now

I have tested the speed and I am able to max out my rogers 10mbit connection. also this company provides 2 vpn connections, one for USA and Great Britain , great for watch the BBC :)

all for a few bucks a month makes its a viable option for my family

#5 ·
@tbusa - How do you set it up to work with your HD200s? When you set it up for one PC on your LAN does it mean that your entire LAN is now on the VPN and can access these sites? It is great to hear that you can do this since I have four HD-200s and am very interested in doing this as well.

Or do you have to do the configuration on your router rather than on your PC network setup?

#6 ·
I have two nics on my sage server, one is default set VPN connection directly to purevpn with firewall turned on(a must) and the other is for my hyper-v with no gateway set on the adapter and it's also on a different subnet. And in Sage.properties file, set the "force gateway ip address" to the vpn adapter and with the upcoming hulu support this setup will work. Playon upnp server and the standalone HD200 works right now but its rather slow and painful. The Sagetv software with direct access to hulu will be alot better than the playon way for sure.

The only problem I have is Rogers and there CAPS. but thats another topic.

#9 ·
Accessing US Internet Sites??

Hey,

I am wanting to access some content on some US websites. I get an error saying the content is available to US residents only.

One site is cartoon network dot com. I would liek to be able to set my son up to watch the cartoons on the website.

Another site I got the error on was for super bowl adds.

is there a legal way around this? if so, please explain.

thanks.

#134 ·
Hey,

I am wanting to access some content on some US websites. I get an error saying the content is available to US residents only.

One site is cartoon network dot com. I would liek to be able to set my son up to watch the cartoons on the website.

Another site I got the error on was for super bowl adds.

is there a legal way around this? if so, please explain.

thanks.
You can use some DNS services like unotelly to get access to sites like CN. Hop it helps.

#19 ·
I suggest Witopia VPN it's priced at $52/yr CDN ($39USD). I have it and it works great - and I was able to access hulu. There personal vpn services can work with most smartphones as well.

Just by wary the servers are located in the US. Therefore you are subject to there privacy laws.

#22 ·
the site hasn't been updated since last November. I'd be inclined to consider a service like some of the ones listed earlier.

#23 ·
I do not believe such products are illegal so I don't see a problem but I thought I should ask first.
Why would a VPN be illegal? They have many legitimate uses. For example, I use one to connect to my home network from elsewhere. At work, I have set up VPNs for customers, so they can connect two or more sites via the internet.

#24 ·
JamesK, I think we have established that its not illegal so we don't need to go there.

This thread is about finding and commenting on VPN and/or proxy services that Canadians could use to get access to things like Hulu.

#27 ·
The TOR network is more meant for 'text' based communication for oppressed peoples or for anonymous truthful blogging without government intervention(AKA, harassment and jail time for writing the truth). TOR has limited bandwidth compared to a Proxy site. but it does fairly well to hide the user.

And people need to read their Canadian Constitution. the 'Freedom of Communication' being the part that is important.

These blockages of other countries websites are done via Canadian TV networks who hold the general 'copyright' to the 'television' distribution of the content in Canada. 'Exclusive deals' are struck in order to stop Canadians from seeing the newest content of the U.S. stations. Since it is cheaper for Canadian stations to buy slightly older programs(comedy and cartoon networks) to air in Canada.

But using a proxy from outside of the U.S. and Canada will also show that many countries are also blocked from the fresh new U.S. programs.
A funny thing about Hulu and TV.com is that when they launched, many, many Canadian news sites put up big stories about them. But forgot to mention that Canadians are censored from seeing the content on them. Just another typical failure in our media of today.

So No Net Neutrality for Canadians. As TV networks tell us what we can see in the form of TV programs, from other countries, on the Internet. And even go as far as to block entire websites with redirects back to Canadian sites.
Even though the Internet is more convenient to see 'New' programs.

And if a Judge rules 'for' censorship? Was he threatened first with demotion if he ruled for the constitution? Since you can't just fire a Judge for ruling against the Government.

Blocking of U.S. TV channels(on cable/satellite) was for Canadian Advertisers revenue protection. But that was ruled illegal.... So now censorship is for 'Heritage Protection'. But that is also still illegal. But no one will fight for our rights and freedoms. :(

Maybe if Canadians made programs that are worth watching by more than a few thousand people, people might not have to look to the U.S. to see great programs.

#28 ·
These blockages of other countries websites are done via Canadian TV networks who hold the general 'copyright' to the 'television' distribution of the content in Canada. 'Exclusive deals' are struck in order to stop Canadians from seeing the newest content of the U.S. stations. Since it is cheaper for Canadian stations to buy slightly older programs(comedy and cartoon networks) to air in Canada.
I don't think that is the case and I think you are giving the Canadian networks too much credit.

These websites are blocked by the website owner, for example NBC, as they only have US distribution rights for the shows. They (or the production company that produced the show) hope to sell the show in foreign markets - presumably they are selling broadcast rights as well as web distribution rights. Allowing people from outside the US to access these sites would decrease the foreign rights fees that the networks or production companies hope to receive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.