Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Canada to lose TBS?

70K views 133 replies 54 participants last post by  58686 
#1 ·
WTBS will be switching to PeachTree TV this fall... as far as I know the national TBS feed is not licensed in Canada, is this the end of TBS in Canada?

#30 ·
I just want Baseball in HD on TBS.

Sportsnet has nothing to say about FOX coverage on Saturday, why would it matter that we get Sunday MLB?

Also, I think its the NLCS on TBS this fall, so our ONLY option would be SNET HD...I much prefer a US channel. If SNET is all I have, then that's all I have then I guess.

BTW, here at Shaw we used to get TBS Superstation, then a while ago it switched to WTBS. AFAIK, programming was almost identical.

#32 ·
BTW, here at Shaw we used to get TBS Superstation, then a while ago it switched to WTBS. AFAIK, programming was almost identical.
As did most of Canada. They probably switched to the OTA feed to save money. Now TBS (Turner) is coming back to bite them. Personally, I don't care. I hate the way Turner alters programming to renew copyrights and make shows fit into time slots. I'd rather see a better US broadcaster take the place of TBS/Turner.

#34 ·
I have actually noticed some differences in the schedule.

For example

WTBS Weekday SChedule

6:00 am Headline News
6:30 am Drew Carey Show
7:00 am Saved By The Bell
7:30 am Saved By The Bell
8:00 am Saved By The Bell
8:30 am Saved By The Bell
9:00 am Dawson's Creek
10:00 am Movie
0:00 pm News Radio
0:30 pm Cosby Show
1:00 pm Steve Harvey Show
1:30 pm Steve Harvey Show
2:00 pm Diff'rent Strokes
2:30 pm Diff'rent Strokes
3:00 pm Still Standing
3:30 pm Still Standing

TBS Schedule

6:00 am Cosby Show
6:30 am Drew Carey Show
7:00 am Saved By The Bell
7:30 am Saved By The Bell
8:00 am Saved By The Bell
8:30 am Saved By The Bell
9:00 am Dawson's Creek
10:00 am Movie
12:00 pm Steve Harvey Show
12:30 pm Steve Harvey Show
1:00 pm Just Shoot Me
1:30 pm Just Shoot Me
2:00 pm Fresh Prince of Bel Air
2:30 pm Fresh Prince of Bel Air
3:00 pm Home Improvement
3:30 pm Home Improvement

#35 ·
There schedule is getting more and more different. Before the only difference was that WTBS had a daytime episode of Friends while national TBS did not. Also, WTBS shows Headline News at 6am while TBS shows Cosby Show. In the last couple of months, we are seeing more differences between the two channels.

#37 ·
An email that Star Choice replied regarding TBS....

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

We appear to be providing the TBS feed and not the WTBS one. We have not heard of this re-branding of WTBS until now which leads us to believe that we will not undergo this change. If this is to happen and we do have the WTBS feed, we will be informing our customers via the website, channel 299, and on your monthly statements.

Should you have any further question or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Please also include all previous emails with your replies.

Thank you for choosing Star Choice.

Shannon B.

Administration Team

--------Basically, they don't have a clue.-------------------

#41 · (Edited)
TBS and WTBS does vary in programming some.

Rates are not different between programming fees for TBS and WTBS, they are the same. In Atlanta they can get both.

Peachtree will also air 45 Atlanta Braves games as well.

Here is a link out of Atlanta concerning this:
WTBS to become Peachtree TV

TBS Super station is also ending their run of the Braves games at the end of the '07 season. So to continue to watch the Braves, best bet will be Peachtree TV. Link: http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/...t_id=1552889&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

#43 ·
The Score? Rogers Sportsnet has MLB rights in Canada.

While ideally I'd like both :), I would also prefer the national TBS as, more importantly than the post-season games which we'd get one way or another anyways, they will also have a Sunday afternoon game of the week throughout the regular season, which I doubt a Canadian broadcaster would pick up (seeing how Rogers Sportsnet already carries the Sunday night ESPN game, and usually has Jays games in the afternoon).

The national TBS is also likely to have an HD channel available for carriage, while the local station may not.

#51 ·
Another interesting aspect of the whole thing is whether or not TBS has Canadian rights to its movies and other programming? Since WTBS or WPCH is an over-the-air channel, rights are a non-issue at present. No BDU in Canada has used the TBS feed for a few years now, so TBS may have stopped purchasing Canadian program rights. We may be stuck with WPCH, although its daytime programming looks superior to the daytime TBS programming.

#52 ·
Canada Will GET PEachTree Tv Oct 1

Canada will be getting the TBS when switches to peachtree Tv on October 1, Expect to see Other companies sk the CRTC to add the national Feed TBS to list to eglible services and carry both services

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.