Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw Direct 2012 New Channels Discussion

141K views 353 replies 97 participants last post by  bigoranget 
#1 ·
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2012.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Shaw Direct in 2012 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Shaw Direct has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces Shaw Direct 2011 New Channels Discussion

#179 ·
So the receiver refresh didn't work for me so I emailed them and someone called me a couple hours later to say they did something on their end and Space HD was showing on guide. But now new problem. Nat Geo Wild is not showing as active on guide. Emailed them again but they emailed back this time saying I'd have to call in and get a tech to walk me through doing a guide refresh. Anyone know how to do this so I don't have to call in and wait?

#180 ·
I think you can do it on the self serve website. Never used self serve so I can't confirm. Calling them should not be all that hard you just need the time and always pick the call back option it better than standing on the line. I usually make those call just before watching something live like a hockey game because I know I be home long enough to answer the call back. Don't worry on average it around twenty minutes give or take five.

#181 ·
We're getting National Geographic Wild in SD and HD, but as of last night it was not showing in our guide. I have the unsubscribed channels hidden. Space HD finally showed up in our guide. I didn't call Shaw Direct, I just waited. If you wait long enough Nat Geo Wild will probably show up. Anyone know what package it will be on after the freeview??

#183 ·
The website says SD version is part of Digital Favourites and Real Life theme group, the HD version is part of the No Extra Cost group as long as you have it in SD.

I'm hoping it will also be part of the Digital Indulgence, and Digital Indulgence Lite as well, but the website won't say as they are non-advertised channel packages.

#195 ·
Just had a really good chat with a tsr. He implied that even with the launch in the fall of the new bird, that NEW channles wont 'officially' be added until Jan at the earliest!

As suspected!

#198 ·
Cartoon Network Canada

Cartoon Network Canada is set to launch on July 4th which is less than two weeks away, but there doesn't seem to be any information on who will be carrying this channel.

Corus Entertainment (A Shaw Company) owns 50% of this channel, so you would think Shaw and Shaw Direct would carry it, but who knows.

Anyone know of any carriage information for this channel??

It will have almost all of the Adult Swim shows from the US, which will be cool.

#199 ·
It probably will not be carried on Shaw Direct. Shaw Direct has to be in compliance with the 3:1 related ownership rule before it can add any additional Category B channels with common ownership.

Currently Shaw Direct carries 15 Category B channels that have common ownership. They carry 25 Category B channels that are not owned in any way by Shaw. Before Shaw Direct can add any additional Category B channels, they have to add another 20 Category B channels.

With that said, it's highly unlikely that Cartoon Network will be added before January 2013 when Shaw Direct will be required to come into compliance with the 3:1 rule.

#200 ·
Corus Entertainment (A Shaw Company)
Corus Entertainment is NOT a Shaw Company

Both are Canadian companies with asinine setup of Class A voting shares and Class B non voting shares.

Hence the Shaw family gets to control both companies by having only ~ 10% of the stock.

I can never figure out why any individual or investment house would buy Class B stock.

#205 ·
@cableredneck NO, that is not what is happening! They are showing previews on Teletoon on Saturday from 11 am of Cartoon Network, but come July 4th it will be a serperate channel. There still will be Teletoon, and now there will also be Cartoon Network! Two serperate channels on two serperate stations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.